Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:42 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
That's Gertie. The clip I saw had a lot of cars people just left behind. They were walking, running, and crawling as fast as they could to get on land again. There must be a lot of footage of it over it's lifetime. I really don't care a lot for bridges, just too far to fall if something goes wrong, and if you fall far enough, hitting the water is like hitting pavement. Splat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 02:47 PM

215 posts, read 525,005 times
Thanks KB for the 'splnation and thanks GP for the footage. I have seen that somewhere, but I thought it was the Golden Gate. Yep, the older I get the less I like bridges, especially knowing the age and shape of most of them. I don't even like flying anymore or elevators either. Inner ear??? I'll do 'em, but I don't gotta like 'em.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
After they built the new bridge over the Cimmaron River on Highway 33 near Coyle several years ago they tore down the old bridge built during the 1930s. Aren't old bridges not used any more major public hazards, due to high school kids maybe wanting to do dare devil stunts on or off them?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,661 times
I don't like bridges or heights in general. BUT the ones I really hate are the ones that are made from metal that is like waffled or whatever and you can see through them?? OMG who wants to seeeeee through a bridge?? Just freaks me out. But it don't freak me out anymore than when we were driving in the 18 Wheeler across Chesapeake Bay and I had no idea it was a TUNNEL... I was in the back and EX-hubby calls me about the time he is heading across the bridge (which to me goes NOWHERE) and then I see this HOLE with a tunnel. I about had a panic attack before we came up. The whole time he thought it was dam funny. Only ONE of the reasons we are no longer married.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I don't like bridges or heights in general. BUT the ones I really hate are the ones that are made from metal that is like waffled or whatever and you can see through them?? OMG who wants to seeeeee through a bridge?? Just freaks me out. But it don't freak me out anymore than when we were driving in the 18 Wheeler across Chesapeake Bay and I had no idea it was a TUNNEL... I was in the back and EX-hubby calls me about the time he is heading across the bridge (which to me goes NOWHERE) and then I see this HOLE with a tunnel. I about had a panic attack before we came up. The whole time he thought it was dam funny. Only ONE of the reasons we are no longer married.
Hello okpondlady, we also know someone with a severe phobia to bridges. He had to literally lie down in the back seat before we approached any sizable bridge. This was in CA. We had to cross the Golden Gate, which was his "arch nemesis", ok, that was bad. But seriously, he had to lie down before we crossed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma