Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,474,474 times

Advertisements

"Federal role questioned in Oklahoma's English-only debate"

July 29, 2009

WASHINGTON — The Oklahoma congressional delegation wants U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to explain why the Justice Department got involved in a debate by the Oklahoma Legislature this year over making English the state’s official language.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is seen in this July 15, 2009 AP photo. Oklahoma's congressional delegation wants Holder to explain why the Justice Department got involved in a debate by the Oklahoma Legislature this year over making English the state’s official language.

http://newsok.com/federal-role-quest...rticle/3388719 (broken link)

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 08-02-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Shortened quote to two sentences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,172,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
"Federal role questioned in Oklahoma's English-only debate"

July 29, 2009

WASHINGTON — The Oklahoma congressional delegation wants U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to explain why the Justice Department got involved in a debate by the Oklahoma Legislature this year over making English the state’s official language.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is seen in this July 15, 2009 AP photo. Oklahoma's congressional delegation wants Holder to explain why the Justice Department got involved in a debate by the Oklahoma Legislature this year over making English the state’s official language.

http://newsok.com/federal-role-quest...rticle/3388719 (broken link)
Sounds like to me that the nation may want to think along that same line. Barring the fact the the Native Americans language was here first and should not be tampered with in any shape form or fashion.

I hate it when you by a power tool and most of the owners manual is in a foreign language. I keep the english part and cut out all the rest and give it back to them, I don't want it.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 08-02-2009 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: shortened quote to match OP...

Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,474,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Sounds like to me that the nation may want to think along that same line. Barring the fact the the Native Americans language was here first and should not be tampered with in any shape form or fashion.

I hate it when you by a power tool and most of the owners manual is in a foreign language.
Quote:
I keep the english part and cut out all the rest and give it back to them, I don't want it.
Gracias por no ensuciamiento.

Press #1 for English.........

Thank you for not lettering:

Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,985,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Gracias por no ensuciamiento.

Press #1 for English.........

Thank you for not lettering:

Hey, I lettered in baseball, basketball, and football in HS!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,750,578 times
If the word Oklahoma is Choctaw how can the name of the state be other than English.
How about Mobilhoma

Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,020,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If the word Oklahoma is Choctaw how can the name of the state be other than English.
How about Mobilhoma
I'd like to see the state sell naming rights for the state like they do state facilities. Something like "The ATT State"

Old 08-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I'd like to see the state sell naming rights for the state like they do state facilities. Something like "The ATT State"
Now I'm confused, I can't word under these conditions . It took me years to understand Military acronyms and now you expect me to figure out all this, someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery .

Press #1 for English

Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,020,025 times
Can't you see it now? Make New York "The JP Morgan State" I bet they could balance their budget on that one. Or California "The Transamerica State" Texas would be simple and easy to recognize "The Texaco State" and Arkansas, of course, would be "The Wal-Mart State." Oklahoma, actually, would be better named "The Chesapeake State" while Kansas could be named "The ADM State." Just think of all the billions that would be generated to invest in maintenance and upkeep (can't have a corporate name affiliated with a run down state.) Of course, some states, like North Dakota or New Hampsire would not get all that much money, but there are still corporations that would be willing to buy a discount or second tier state. After all, it isn't like there will ever be more than 50 available.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post

I hate it when you by a power tool and most of the owners manual is in a foreign language. I keep the english part and cut out all the rest and give it back to them, I don't want it.
Oh, don't throw it away. You'd be surprised how much extra you had to pay for the fact that instructions now come in two or three languages.

Well, I don't care what they say. I think OK has done a good job with their illegal immigration policy and Tulsa's illegal work/housing policy and now with their English policy. I wish my own state would follow suit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with legal foreigners relocating here and speaking their own language among themselves, BUT English should be a required subject for all of them. Bet ya can't go to other countries and force them to communicate with you in English only. Several countries do use English as a second language, but they would never cater to us this way.

I was just in our nearby largest city a couple weeks ago and I spoke with a lady who had no idea what I was saying to her. I was torn between feeling sorry for her (cause she just kept smiling and nodding) and being furious that this poor lady isn't required to learn some English.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 AM

And Ohio could be the "Worthless nut state", the Buckeye. But we do have a river that burned "the Cuyahoga river", a lake thats Erie and a city that has a tower thats "Terminal". God ohio is one screwed up state, ain't it?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma