Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,663,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As a native Oklahoman I am always embarrassed by how backward our state is and how it must look to others, .
As a native Californian I say you have nothing to be embarrased about. Now, all I have dove is visit a few times, but your state is stunningly beautiful. It;s green everywhere, nice small towns, and friendly people.. You should be proud of Oklahoma, in six years I retire from work and Ok. is one of the places I'm concidering retiring to, lot's of lakes, nice folks, and not all the gready money chasing rat race I live in now. So be proud, look people right in the eye and tell them your from Oklahoma and damn proud of it... Most Californians won't even look you in the eye anymore. Sheepole is what I call em....

Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM

274 posts, read 519,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
As a native Californian I say you have nothing to be embarrased about. Now, all I have dove is visit a few times, but your state is stunningly beautiful. It;s green everywhere, nice small towns, and friendly people.. You should be proud of Oklahoma, in six years I retire from work and Ok. is one of the places I'm concidering retiring to, lot's of lakes, nice folks, and not all the gready money chasing rat race I live in now. So be proud, look people right in the eye and tell them your from Oklahoma and damn proud of it... Most Californians won't even look you in the eye anymore. Sheepole is what I call em....
I may be from the opposite coast but I agree with CBM. Fortunately, I'm semi-retired so I don't have to wait six years. The only reason I left was because I was transferred. I'm now in a position of being able to live almost anywhere I choose. No place is perfect but overall Oklahoma had the best combination of the things I consider the most important. I did a lot of research before I made my decision to move. I only moved back to Connecticut because I grew up here and I THOUGHT I knew what it was like living here. If I had done a little checking on the taxes and real estate prices, I would have never moved back here.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 AM

12 posts, read 22,197 times
I agree with SEABEEBOLT, I'll swap with you. Buy me out and I'm so there in Oklahoma.
I've tried 4 times to move there and something always messes me up. The last time, Owasso area. Tried, and tried and looked, but could not find a place for my house dog and myself for a reasonable amount. One place said yes to the tune of 150.00 a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get real!!!!!
I have accepted the fact I probable will not live in OK. but I will visit often.
Sorry, I'll stop venting and get off my soapbox

Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As a native Oklahoman I am always embarrassed by how backward our state is and how it must look to others, especially when off the wall, bizarre stories come out like the one about the judge who had to go to prison for Moderator cut: please, nothing so vulgar pump while conducting court.
Well, you could be VERY lucky and live in Illinois. I KNOW how that state looks to others.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,945,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakapp49 View Post
I agree with SEABEEBOLT, I'll swap with you. Buy me out and I'm so there in Oklahoma.
I've tried 4 times to move there and something always messes me up. The last time, Owasso area. Tried, and tried and looked, but could not find a place for my house dog and myself for a reasonable amount. One place said yes to the tune of 150.00 a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get real!!!!!
I have accepted the fact I probable will not live in OK. but I will visit often.
Sorry, I'll stop venting and get off my soapbox
Were you trying to rent a place? There are tons of places that I could recommend where you could buy a house very cheap if you didn't need to make a ton of money.

Allen, Oklahoma for one, is a very inexpensive place to live. You can buy a nice house there for 20 or 30K. Nothing fancy, but probably a 1200 square foot wood-frame house with a small back yard and the area is safe. It's not the big city, but has a school, grocery store, convenience stores, movie rentals, a few restaurants, and so on.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I'm still kind of stunned at how friendly the people are here. Back in the IE for Thanksgiving, I really noticed how angry and self-absorbed people were and couldn't wait to be on the train home. I second the note about research. Without telling anyone I spent a couple of months looking up everything I could and was following the price of houses in this town from then on. I have friends who came from Florida who love it here so I thought I might be able to. Loved it from the day I arrived on my visit and left with an offer on a house accepted.

I'm still rather in awe of all the green on the road from here to OKC. Well, when its green. But its awesome that there are so many trees. To be able to look down the road and thats all you see is something that can only be truely appreciated by someone from socal where all you ever see is cars and roads and buildings and people.

Maybe Oklahoma is looked at as backward, but what is backward about neighbors who ask a new neighbor they've never met to knock on their door if there is anything you need. If that is backwards then we should all be that way.

Yeah, California is becoming the state of sheeple. The ones that aren't are making their plans and will be outta there asap. Someone said you get the pull to where you grew up as you get older. Sorry but for me that place doesn't exist anymore.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:17 PM

491 posts, read 1,477,402 times
If we are backward then I like being backward.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,945,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDawn View Post
If we are backward then I like being backward.

Me too. Backward, in certain instances, is a very, very good thing - especially these days.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:26 PM

330 posts, read 970,942 times
This state has far better people than California, by far. I've been welcomed with open arms and have been given a ridiculous amount of Dr. Peppers (diet and regular).

Seriously though, what's up with Texas? Do Texans not like their state anymore because I see an abundance of Texas plates driving around. All that geographic area and they still sneak up the I-35, what's going on down there?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM

491 posts, read 1,477,402 times
HA! Ask any native Texan if they like their state sometime when you have 127 hours to listen to them rave about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma