Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,518,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBMaYNE View Post
I've lived here nearly 10 years now and I like Oklahoma as a whole. I'm definitely a huge Thunder fan, but let me just say, I CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE. Oklahoma is a great place to live and save enough to pursue your real dreams, because frankly there's not many dreams that can be fulfilled by staying here. The big issue I have with Oklahoma and this might just be the area I'm in, but it's the people. There's so many backwards redneck white trash people I can't stand it. Everywhere I go, there's no escaping them. So I plan on moving to Seattle soon, but I definitely won't bash Oklahoma when I get there, because I do enjoy the cheap living and playing golf every week.
>>>>>
There's so many backwards redneck white trash people I can't stand it.
<<<<<

Then by all means, go and stand somewhere else.

Sorry that my fellow backward Redneck Okies and I are such a burden on you.

It amazes me the insensitivity that is thrown around on the Internet. Sad thing is, this is actually how people speak/refer to one another now. The world we live in is just about devoid of any common decency anymore. Good stuff, indeed.

Would I ever call someone "trash"? Probably only some corporate elite who had his chin pointed to the sky!

Have fun in Seattle and don't worry about talking bad about us trashy folks down here. We don't give a rip and hopefully it will keep more transplants out.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:54 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,551,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
IMHO, I am shocked that I live in a rural, small town and my neighborhood looks more like an urban ghetto than anything I've seen...

Also, what is up with almost everyone driving a huge pickup truck while everyone complains about the cost of gas? I understand some people need huge pickup trucks, but they are more common than cars here!
Where on earth do you live?

Have you ever tried to drive rural roads in anything BUT a pickup truck? And how are we supposed to transport bags of feed, hay, etc if we don't have pickup trucks?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM

69 posts, read 173,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Where on earth do you live?

Have you ever tried to drive rural roads in anything BUT a pickup truck? And how are we supposed to transport bags of feed, hay, etc if we don't have pickup trucks?
Payne County. It's not this bad in most of the area, I just ended up in a really bad neighborhood because the renting options were slim to none when I had to relocate.

If you need to transport feed, hay, etc, then you're one of those people who need a pickup truck. Not everyone lives in the country or works in an occupation that needs a truck.

My dear '84 Buick Skylark drove rural roads for years with no issue. My current Honda has done so as well, but not on any regular basis. If I was living waaay out in the country though, I'd want a pickup truck.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,551,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
Payne County. It's not this bad in most of the area, I just ended up in a really bad neighborhood because the renting options were slim to none when I had to relocate.

Payne Co is one of the most beautiful counties. Having OSU in Stillwater makes decent rentals a rarity, I agree. It is too bad we didn't know about this sooner .... I could have helped you find better accommodations.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Payne Co is one of the most beautiful counties. Having OSU in Stillwater makes decent rentals a rarity, I agree. It is too bad we didn't know about this sooner .... I could have helped you find better accommodations.
I would hope the poster was referring to the other major Payne County town, Cushing. It's been bad mouthed before on here.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 AM

181 posts, read 298,592 times
Plus 1 to T. Damon! Couldn't agree more. I was born and mostly raised in CA, and have lived in Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, and now Michigan. I've also visited many different states.

Every place has it's good and it's bad, no exceptions. Every state has it's stereotypes, and every state has it's surprises. I can say from experience that parts of California are as hick as parts of Oklahoma, and I would put some neighborhoods in Tulsa up against just about any in California.

I love CA and always will, although I don't plan on moving back. Too crowded and expensive for my tastes now. But that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to love about it still.

I'm sitting here at work in a small town in Michigan than is a lot like the poor OK town described a few posts up. Lots of poor folk, drugs, crime, run down properties. And rednecks? Believe me, they aren't just in OK. They are here, and yes, even CA!

Luckily I live in a nicer town about a half hour away from my work. But the point is, good and bad are everywhere. Oklahoma doesn't have the market cornered on crappy towns, believe me.

I've also noticed that people tend to hate where they are from. People from MI HATE it here. When I lived in Tulsa, many people from there HATED Tulsa. What gives?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,229,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post

I've also noticed that people tend to hate where they are from. People from MI HATE it here. When I lived in Tulsa, many people from there HATED Tulsa. What gives?
People look for external sources of dissatisfaction in life because a view inward is often so hard.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,221,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post
I'm sitting here at work in a small town in Michigan than is a lot like the poor OK town described a few posts up. Lots of poor folk, drugs, crime, run down properties. And rednecks? Believe me, they aren't just in OK. They are here, and yes, even CA!

Luckily I live in a nicer town about a half hour away from my work. But the point is, good and bad are everywhere. Oklahoma doesn't have the market cornered on crappy towns, believe me.

The Economist reported this week that CA has 1/7 of the US population but 1/3 of all welfare recipients in the US and 1/4 of the US prison population. Given that, I think CA has a lot of crappy places to live. Personally, I don't want to live within 100 miles of a Kardashian because the stench of that white trash carries at least that far.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,557,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
People look for external sources of dissatisfaction in life because a view inward is often so hard.
Excellent post, swake.

Common sense dictates not everyone is going to be happy in this state, and that is fine. The more people who don't like Oklahoma- the better, IMO. Leave us be.

Good post, thepastorsson.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,228,860 times
Thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma