Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,387 times

Advertisements

My grandfather (Denton) was a groundskeeper at Fort Sill and our family used to drive down to Lawton to visit my grandparents all the time. They lived in the mobile home park adjacent to Doe Doe Park. I remember walking over to the park because they kept horses in fenced in areas nearby, plus, the big thrill was going to Doe Doe to swim with my family. As a young child, I do not remember segregation, but wouldn't doubt it. I have very, very fond family memories of that mobile home park, visiting my grandparents and hours spent a Doe Doe swim park. Some summers my brother and I were sent down to stay with my grandparents and we'd accompany my grandfather to work at Ft. Sill. We'd wonder through the jail cell where Geronimo was kept, and the huge artillery museum. I also remember a large cemetery where Quannah Parker was buried. Might be mixing that up with events in Texas though, I'm not sure. Loved the Wichita Wildlife Refuge and Mt. Scott and going fishing for bluegill out there. Good times, as a kid at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
Default Doe Doe Park my Hangout🌹

1968 was the year I moved into Plaza trailer park with my parents wearing them psychedelic clothes and thinking I was just the Coolest! I was just starting the 9th grade at Thomlinson junior high that year. We get moved in don't know anyone so I get on my bike and finally met a girl in the trailer park after riding by her house half a dozen times because I was so shy,she finally comes out and we meet from that moment on we where best friends! We would walk over to the park all the time and sit on the bridges. Then on the weekends I would go Skateing loved to skate to all them GREAt songs on the jukebox! I only went swimming a few times remember the basket to put my clothes in and the little pin and you better take a shower before getting in the pool! Then they opened the arcade that was my hang out from that moment on Big Al ran the place Sharon would come in and out. Every day we would make our way to the arcade in the summer just to listen to music from the jukebox and hangout,a group of us became friends. Raymond Cole would keep an eye on the arcade when Big Al had something to do. We would head out to the mountains on the weekends in the summer to Jed Johnson. We just had so much FUN just hanging around together! Then the minute I got my drivers license I was off to Wayne's drive inn with my three buddies in my little Toyota station wagon my parents let me drive till I got my little VW bug. But I never left my friends at the arcade I would still make my way to the arcade and we all would find something to do...looking for my good friend Mary Windel. To short this by a few years of great memories I met my husband he was the president of the corvette club in Lawton had a flaming orange corvette with flames on it well guess what it went up in flames on his way back to work at ft.Sill. We married November 11,1972 after just Two weeks of knowing him my Mom got a wedding together and gave been married for 41 years. I also had to go to work at McDonalds on Cache road to help pay for my VW bug. I should of made this a blog because it is all about me!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,168 times
That"s interesting, I live in lawton for a little while and never heard of it. Me and my wife and kids went to just about every park and museum and never heard nobody talk about. I like to read or hear someone talk about things like that. THANKS FOR SHEARING THAT EVEYONE

Old 08-27-2014, 07:37 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Whereabouts is the location of where Doe Doe park used to be?

I've lived in Lawton a couple of times. Always fascinated at the history of the place. It has a bad reputation amongst Army circles but I enjoyed living there both times. It might be the state of Oklahoma because I just love the state. Hoping to retire there.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Sheridan between Gore and the Railroad Tracks. It was in the same area as the Burger King and new apartment complex, across from Luigi's, on the east side of Sheridan. There's an old bridge still there that looks like it may have been part of the old park.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,876 times
I remember it all to well I played there when I was a kid. We live right across the street from it. My sister and I got the big idea to cross the other street to go to the ball field and on the way back I got hit by a car and broke my leg. That was pretty dumb of me to want to cross that street considering all I had to play with and do at doe doe park. I deserve that broke leg but I do remember the two girls that carried me home and brought me candy about everyday for a while and the lady who hit me she felt so bad and it wasn't her fault at all.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,691 times
I am in my 30's so I never got to go to the park but I do remember it! My Great Uncle and my Grandfather did some of the stone work around the park. My Grandfather was a stone mason and a Pastor in Lawton, and lived across Sheridan from the park. He also owned a store across the street from the park called Southwest Stone back in the 70's. I remember walking to Wayne's Drive Inn from their house and looking across the street at the park my family talked about and wishing it was still open.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,691 times
Here are a few Pictures I found online
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...162da4b0bf.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e2af43744e.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e94e39ce17.jpg

Old 07-29-2015, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,876 times
That park is one of top 5 memories I have in my whole life.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
WOW, from the looks of that mega amazing swimming pool, it looks like Lawton residents from decades ago have a lot bigger and better memories to look back upon than old Stillwater residents who fondly remember going to Chrystal Plunge during the 1960s as well as memories from Yost Lake northeast of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma