Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 PM

81 posts, read 255,161 times

Advertisements

My dad is from Lawton and as kids 8.9. and 10 years old my cousins and me would go swim there some it was quite a place. I do remember in the times I went there 1957-1960 black kids were not allowed in.
My cousins and I were all part Comanche and my cousins were very brown but they were allowed in. I took after my gringo mother so I passed for full fledged gringo and never had a problem being allowed in.That was a very tumultuous time for black folks in Lawton as my grandparents would kind of speak in hushed voices about that stuff when we were around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,497 times
Ahh yes Doe Doe Park. Petting zoo, rides, monkeys, skating rink, and arcade ( later replaced with an Italian Restuarant). Good times and fond memories. LOL, you had to take a shower in the locker rooms before being allowed to swim. Chains with rings stretched across the 5' foot deep section of the pool to swing across. Had a " kiddie " section with a slide and shallow pool at the east side of the pool. The arcade was run by " Big Al ' and his wife Sharon. Had 3 to 5 pool tables, numerous pinball machines. Sandy's Burgers across the street also had a Dairy mart on the south end. Spent almost every summer day hanging out there from 1969 to about 1974.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,481 times
When our family moved from Minnesota to California back in 1963 we swung by Fort Sill to visit my older brother who was stationed there. We stayed in Lawton for a few days and my brother's CO was good enough to give him some time off to visit with us. Seeing Lawton and Doe Doe Park were some of the best memories of that trip for a 10 year old kid. I remember the day we spent in Doe Doe Park very clearly, Monkey Island was great, it was the first time that I had ever seen monkeys in person, so to speak.
Ten years later after Vietnam I was stationed at Fort Sill and lived off post with my wife and her sister (who ended up marrying a GI and moving off with him back east). I was very disappointed and saddened that the park was in such disrepair but we still had a great time in and around Lawton. I do believe that if I were able I would move there to retire.
Thank you Lawton and Doe Doe Park for some unforgettable memories.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
We had family in Lawton who we visited regularly from Enid. The only thing I remember about Doe Doe Park was that huge pool. And, knowing how much I loved the water when I was a kid, I can understand why that is all I remember. They had to drag me out of that pool or any pool (for that matter) to get me to go home. Good times!!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times
Default Doe Doe park , great memories

I was born and raised in Lawton . I had so much fun and good times at the park and really missed it when we moved to Talihina in 74. I learned to skate, dance skate at the rink. Every time I hear Tommy James's "Crimson and Clover", I close my eyes, and can still feel the skates, me gliding over the floor, dancing with a certain girl wishing it would never end. It was soooooo wonderful until the government forced desegregation ( not that it wasn't needed), but it changed a lot of things, some for the better, and a few for the worse....( dependent upon human reaction ).. Good times, memories that will never fade. Yes, it was segregated, in a very diverse and mixed community. But the park brought so much to those of us who had the pleasure to be there, at that precise time in history. Our society has gone in reverse and down hill from there instead of forward.

Lawton has lost an iconic legend from their community when the park closed, the pool was as unique as each of those that had the privilege to swim in it. The music , the sounds of honest laughter, no worries, it's honestly a shame that all that is gone.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 AM

39 posts, read 110,768 times
Doe Doe park is one of the interesting place of Lawton. It was opened in 1945, offering zoo, concessions and the most amazing thing is its large swimming pool and wooden skating rinks. The pool covers a large area with grassy surroundings where you can take sun bath. Although I couldn't visit there yet but planning to spend some of my holidays in that place.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:28 AM

85 posts, read 217,941 times
any pictures of the place? sounds like a great place

Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 PM

57 posts, read 79,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernkansas View Post
any pictures of the place? sounds like a great place

I understand Doe Doe park has been closed for years because they refused to integrate.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 PM

28 posts, read 96,927 times
Doe Doe park finally closed in the late 80's. Why, i'm not sure. I think it was poor business more then anything. Around 2006 the land was cleared and an apartment complex was built. Sadly, no trace of this once great park remains.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,136 times
Loved DOE DOE Park ! so sad no one got it documented before it was torn down ....

I grew up in Lawton , went there most days of the week till I met my wife at the skateing rink what times !
I have trouble trying to describe Doe Doe Park to my friends it was so unbelieveable beautiful there it was the happening place to be in the day :P still have my tokens !

I remember Ben & he was right , he just wanted to prove it was his property and no one let alone a gov local or otherwise should tell a citizen what that can do with it ! ... the rest was plown out of proportion...

I lived in Med. Park alos during those years & what a place it was in it's own right, anyone remember Mrs Witt ? first & second grade teacher there for ever...( yes 2 grades per classroom & thay rang a hand bell for recess lol).

Its sad my grandchildren will never get to see Doe Doe Park or ride the train ........
Sam Taylor....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma