Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,792,483 times

Advertisements

Ted, the reason I disputed this is because when a very "heated" subject comes up -- like immigration, things can sometimes get out of hand and things are said that really aren't true, and they tend to inflame an already bad situation.

I would hope there is no school in the US that refuses to teach our history. There are many things I look the other way on, but this is something that would certainly make me see red, and would probably bring out the very retired ERA demonstrator in me

Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 AM

432 posts, read 669,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Ted, the reason I disputed this is because when a very "heated" subject comes up -- like immigration, things can sometimes get out of hand and things are said that really aren't true, and they tend to inflame an already bad situation.

I would hope there is no school in the US that refuses to teach our history. There are many things I look the other way on, but this is something that would certainly make me see red, and would probably bring out the very retired ERA demonstrator in me
You're right, sometimes an otherwise civil discussion can get out of hand, and so it may be necessary to try and slow things down. Understood.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:30 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
The discussion can get out of hand for sure, but it is one that needs to be kept alive.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:51 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,404,325 times
I don't think anything has gotten even near out of line so far...

There's nothing wrong with a civil discussion or debate by mature folk.

Problems will only occur when someone can't make their point like an adult
and resorts to name calling...

Just my $.02.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:50 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times
When Immigration gets out of line it's usually from a troll who comes into the conversation opposing the issue with intent to cause an argument or someone who is less knowlegable or less updated on the story,tries to challenge an issue just because they don't like what's being said.

Immigration is a serious, fast pace issue. There's alot more to it than just people being in this country Illegally. You need stay on it daily in order to know what's going on.
Anyone who posts or replies about it, needs to know what they're talking, and should be able to prove that what they're saying is true, because they will be challenged and if they're even the slightest bit wrong, they will be corrected.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:19 PM

266 posts, read 972,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Foster View Post
Whether our topic is the NAFTA superhighway or subjects taught in Arizona schools, they do have something in common. If our worst suspicions are correct, their realization would come at the great expense of the average American, and even America itself.

They do have something in common, illegal aliens and Mexicans.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 PM

Bush is withdrawing the the National Guard from the border..

YouTube - National Guard Being Pulled Off US/Mexican Border

Old 06-07-2008, 08:30 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,792,483 times
It's my opinion that drugs and illegals coming across our borders are as much of a threat to our nation as the war in Iraq is supposed to be. If we can't control and protect our borders, then we have no real defense against terrorism.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
It's my opinion that drugs and illegals coming across our borders are as much of a threat to our nation as the war in Iraq is supposed to be. If we can't control and protect our borders, then we have no real defense against terrorism.

Definitely. Have any of you heard of the drug cartel situations down on the border? Their guns are military grade and they are out gunning the local police forces down there (Mexican btw). They're getting their drugs through our borders and it goes right through texas straight up through Oklahoma. Take a look at this:

http://www.ok-safe.com/files/documen...ado_TX_Map.pdf

Basically what the Trans Texas Corridor is, is a preliminary set up to the "Superhighway". I can't find the other document I was looking for, but the drug smuggling routes follow those highways precisely and a few of those routes go straight up through OK.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
The nation can do something about drugs by legalizing and regulating them. I've never heard of Mexicans or cartels trying to get rich by selling Americans in the street something legal such as alcohol. With narcs admitting they're seizing only about 10% of the underground drug market drugs are obviously well out of control in this nation. It sheer anarchy out there! People who are bitterly opposed to legalizing drugs are very much on the same side as the drug peddlers because they, too, would be outraged at the thought of such an idea as well. They know they would find themselves losing highly profitable underground dope markets.

I have heard that the Mexican Army grows and sells marijuana. Legalizing and regulating marijuana in the U. S. would hopefully put a stop to such a practice.

Immigration problems can be solved by simply enforcing the laws.

Meanwhile, would someone please, please explain to me how the war in Iraq is a threat to the U. S? After all, Hussein is dead. The Iraqi Parliament wants the U.S. out so it can be in complete control of its own affairs.

I would imagine that a bigger case can be made that, instead, it's Iran, due to its interest in securing nuclear arms, that is a bigger threat to U. S. and it's ally, Israel. How unfortunate that Bush's invasion of Iraq hasn't work very good in intimidating Iran into cleaning up its act. And it's scary to think how crazy up oil would go if Bush attacked Iran soon. But come November I'm sure there will be more than plenty of Oklahomans voting to keep a Republican in the White House--McCain--no matter how ridiculously high the cost of gasoline goes up.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-08-2008 at 02:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma