Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 11:03 AM

82 posts, read 47,199 times

Advertisements

Next week, I will be driving into Oklahoma from Arkansas enroute to Wichita Kansas. My question is if Oklahoma is a real pain about speeding. I know Arkansas and Alabama don't care much if you are about 10 over the limit but other states like Illinois will hit you up for being even 4 over. How is Oklahoma about speeding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 03:12 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,099 times
If you stay at 10 or under you generally won't be bothered.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:33 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
If you stay at 10 or under you generally won't be bothered.
I've been warned at 70 in a 65. I was very happy to accept the warning. The fines are way up there, over $200. There used to be signs at the entrance to the state that read "Watch your speed... we are", with a silhouette of a patrol car and an airplane as well as a table of the fines assessed for speed over the limit. They're gone now, not a very friendly or welcoming sign (the only place I've seen any recently was one in the Chicagoland area in 2019).

A lot of it depends on the conditions (weather, traffic, roadway) and in the case of Roland, on I-40, a known speed trap just inside OK from AR, the whim of the officer in the median taking radar.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:51 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Oklahoma plainly states 'no tolerance' on the speed limit signs... and having driven the entire state south to north on I35 and back probably two dozen times over the past three years, I'd say the vast majority of folks believe it, especially in the open areas. Now that they've raised the limit to 75 most of the way, I really don't get why people insist on wanting to know what they can 'get away with'.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:41 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKitchen View Post
Next week, I will be driving into Oklahoma from Arkansas enroute to Wichita Kansas. My question is if Oklahoma is a real pain about speeding. I know Arkansas and Alabama don't care much if you are about 10 over the limit but other states like Illinois will hit you up for being even 4 over. How is Oklahoma about speeding?
OK does not care what AL/KS do not care much about. There is only one way to find out if the zip line carries you

Old 07-08-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Oklahoma plainly states 'no tolerance' on the speed limit signs... and having driven the entire state south to north on I35 and back probably two dozen times over the past three years, I'd say the vast majority of folks believe it, especially in the open areas. Now that they've raised the limit to 75 most of the way, I really don't get why people insist on wanting to know what they can 'get away with'.
Oh.. wasn't aware it is 75. Most places it is 70 and I usually hit about 78 and set it on cruise except in Illinois or I 16 in Georgia where you can do 95 and nobody bothers with you.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:16 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,099 times
Quote:
Oh.. wasn't aware it is 75. Most places it is 70 and I usually hit about 78 and set it on cruise except in Illinois or I 16 in Georgia where you can do 95 and nobody bothers with you.
Improved areas of rural interstates/turnpikes are 80 now. I still say I drive at 9 or 10 over and never get pulled over or looked at and that includes areas with a posted speed of 80. I can do the entire 88 mile Turner Turnpike (I-44) between Tulsa and OKC in an hour.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Oklahoma is one of the worst states for speeding. I'd stick to the rule "9 your fine, 10 your mine" when traveling through the state.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:41 PM

1,601 posts, read 866,837 times
Speeds are definitely up in OK. I came up 69 out of Texas this week and there were places I had to go 80-82 to keep up with traffic. Even 18-wheelers were running at those speeds. Saw tons of cops but very few had anyone pulled over.

When I'm in a big city, I don't even pay attention to the speed limit signs, but rather keep up with the flow of traffic. Same on a rural interstate if there is lots of traffic. Where they get you is if you're by yourself and running hot, or running significantly over everyone else and doing a lot of weaving around slower traffic.

Speed trap towns are an issue everywhere, but you should know that.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma is one of the worst states for speeding. I'd stick to the rule "9 your fine, 10 your mine" when traveling through the state.
Will do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: