Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,618,555 times

Advertisements

Here's how it looked yesterday. And that's a 53 Plymouth.

Lettuce and corn

Onions & peas

Maters

Taters

Kiwi in its first year

Peas I planted in January. I ate some yesterday, YUM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
I've never seen a raised garden like that. Pretty good idea. There is nothing better than home grown maters. Excpet watermelon, and cantalope...
and maybe squash. And a few thousand other fresh veggies.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 AM

I like them, and it cuts down on the stoop labor. All I have left to do is plant the black eyed peas.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I like them, and it cuts down on the stoop labor. All I have left to do is plant the black eyed peas.
You have a great looking garden, Peggy. That is a good idea about having a raised garden. One of the reasons I always put mine off is the stiffness of kneeling and bending over to do gardening. Maybe next year. . . . . .

Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 AM

Thanks. You can order kits on the internet at various prices. I like the 3 foot wide the best, and as tall as I can get them. Then I fill them up with the barn clean out materials, grass, hay, leaves, bags of stuff from Wal-Mart & let them sit over the winter. No more roto tilling, and each year you just add another layer.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
But then you have to stand up on the box to hoe

I love farm land, I'm tempted to get a job on one this summer just to get back in shape. I may not even pass a physical

We had a 57 Plymouth Fury that we drove around the farm, checking fences.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
i use raised beds cause of massive amounts of rocks in the soil. not raised that high though. got mine situated so i can walk through them with the row between my feet for weeding. i do have to bend over, but i don't mind that. it's the kneeling that kills me and with the arrangement i use that's not necessary.

ross
Moderator cut: no advertising homepage or email in the signature line. If you wish, you can put that in your profile.

Last edited by Synopsis; 05-08-2008 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 AM

I started with the raised beds for the same reason, a huge amount of sandstone in the soil. I started with beds about 12" high, but then I realized the benefits of the taller ones.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:34 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
I received this from an Uncle in Florida, Most of my relative(on my mothers side) have always been amid Gardeners.
You might want to see how this works in OKLand.

Treating bee stings

This information may be something to remember, as this season will soon be here again...
It might be wise to carry a penny in your pocket whileworking in the yard......... BEE STINGS !
A couple of weeks ago, I was stung by both a bee andhornet while working in the garden.
My arm swelled up, so I went to the doctor. The clinicgave me cream and an antihistamine .

The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse, so I went to my regular doctor.
The arm was Infected andneeded an antibiotic.The doctor told me - ' The next time you get stung, put a penny on the bite for 15 minutes'.
That night, my niece was stung by two bees.
I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So, Itaped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The nextmorning, there was no sign of a bite.
We decided thatshe just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Soon, I was gardening outside. I got stung again, twice by a hornet on my left hand.
I thought, here Igo again to the doctor for another antibiotic.
I promptly got my money out and taped two pennies tomy bites, then satand sulked for 15 minutes.
The penny took the stringout of the bite immediately.

In the meantime the hornets were attacking, and myfriend was stung on the thumb. Again the penny.
The next morning I could only see the spot where thehornet had stung me. No redness, no swelling.
Myfriend's sting was the same; couldn't even tell where she had been stung.
She got stung again a few days later upon herback---cutting the grass! And the penny worked onceagain.

Wanted to share this marvelous information in case youexperience the same problem. We need to keep a stockof pennies on hand .
The doctor said that the copper in the pennycounteracts the bite.
It definitely works!

Old 05-10-2008, 03:25 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I received this from an Uncle in Florida, Most of my relative(on my mothers side) have always been amid Gardeners.
You might want to see how this works in OKLand.

Treating bee stings

This information may be something to remember, as this season will soon be here again...
It might be wise to carry a penny in your pocket whileworking in the yard......... BEE STINGS !
A couple of weeks ago, I was stung by both a bee andhornet while working in the garden.
My arm swelled up, so I went to the doctor. The clinicgave me cream and an antihistamine .

The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse, so I went to my regular doctor.
The arm was Infected andneeded an antibiotic.The doctor told me - ' The next time you get stung, put a penny on the bite for 15 minutes'.
That night, my niece was stung by two bees.
I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So, Itaped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The nextmorning, there was no sign of a bite.
We decided thatshe just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Soon, I was gardening outside. I got stung again, twice by a hornet on my left hand.
I thought, here Igo again to the doctor for another antibiotic.
I promptly got my money out and taped two pennies tomy bites, then satand sulked for 15 minutes.
The penny took the stringout of the bite immediately.

In the meantime the hornets were attacking, and myfriend was stung on the thumb. Again the penny.
The next morning I could only see the spot where thehornet had stung me. No redness, no swelling.
Myfriend's sting was the same; couldn't even tell where she had been stung.
She got stung again a few days later upon herback---cutting the grass! And the penny worked onceagain.

Wanted to share this marvelous information in case youexperience the same problem. We need to keep a stockof pennies on hand .
The doctor said that the copper in the pennycounteracts the bite.
It definitely works!
That's amazing, MK, thanks for sharing that info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma