Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 PM

14,338 posts, read 11,733,236 times

Advertisements

We'll be driving from Southern California to Oklahoma City in December, via I-40. We've been to Oklahoma before (have family there), but have always flown. And we'll be flying back this time; the purpose of driving out is to transfer a car from one place to the other. This isn't a sightseeing trip and we will mainly need to keep moving, but it seems like a shame if we can't stop somewhere for at least a couple of hours to see something new and interesting.

So, if there is anyone here who has made that drive and can recommend something we might enjoy, I'd appreciate it. Flagstaff? Albuquerque? We are "nature" people, so maybe the Petrified Forest? If you could only stop ONCE along this route to sightsee (sleeping overnight doesn't count), where would you stop?

Anything we should know about making this drive in later December, weather-wise? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 04:17 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Oak Creek Canyon Flagstaff to Sedona and back.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Anything we should know about making this drive in later December, weather-wise? Thanks for any advice.
Yeah, better hope a snow storm doesn't come that is so heavy that part of I-40 has to be closed. Avoid trying to drive in heavy snow at night. In other words, avoid driving through white outs. It's too hard to see the snow covered road. I've done it once before and swore I would never do it again even though I made it home okay.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, better hope a snow storm doesn't come that is so heavy that part of I-40 has to be closed. Avoid trying to drive in heavy snow at night. In other words, avoid driving through white outs. It's too hard to see the snow covered road. I've done it once before and swore I would never do it again even though I made it home okay.
Yeah, that would be bad. We have little to no experience driving in snow!

Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Oak Creek Canyon Flagstaff to Sedona and back.
That sounds like a great idea, if the weather is good (and I can talk my husband into a 2-hour detour)! Thanks.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:24 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,399,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, watch the weather. Worst snow storm I was ever in was at Amarillo over Christmas years ago. Nothing moving on I-40.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 AM

24,315 posts, read 13,167,505 times
I drive the I-40 to Holbrook route almost every winter en route to Phoenix. I pick up I-40 at Amarillo, and have had to twice take the southern route through Tucson; when I lived in Tucson it was the other way, AZ to OK. I-40 has been closed a couple times in the past decade for a day or two due to snow, but normally the weather is clear, and of all the times I have done the trip, I have had to reroute once. Even then, I spent a day in Las Cruces because I-10 (!) was closed between Deming and Tucson, there are some higher-altitude areas subject to closure, and frankly the southern parts of AZ and NM are just not prepared or equipped the way they are on US 70 near Ruidoso. Every state from CA to OK has a web site that shows the road conditions, some are GIS-based and are very good at showing closures and road conditions, links below from my bookmarks. Plan ahead if you need to take I-10 through Tucson to either US 70 to Roswell or I-20 to the DFW area... it adds at least a half day.

In 2015 I had to leave the Phoenix area a day early to get ahead of the snow. The interstate was clear all the way but the subsequent ice storm and high winds left me somewhat without power in SW OK for a week; having learned the lessons of 2010, I have a generator that powers most of the home.

AZ: https://az511.com/

NM: https://nmroads.com/mapIndex.html?

TX: https://drivetexas.org/#/7/32.340/-99.500

OK: https://ok.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View...9ccfd58d92c3da

Old 11-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I drive the I-40 to Holbrook route almost every winter en route to Phoenix. I pick up I-40 at Amarillo, and have had to twice take the southern route through Tucson; when I lived in Tucson it was the other way, AZ to OK. I-40 has been closed a couple times in the past decade for a day or two due to snow, but normally the weather is clear, and of all the times I have done the trip, I have had to reroute once. Even then, I spent a day in Las Cruces because I-10 (!) was closed between Deming and Tucson, there are some higher-altitude areas subject to closure, and frankly the southern parts of AZ and NM are just not prepared or equipped the way they are on US 70 near Ruidoso. Every state from CA to OK has a web site that shows the road conditions, some are GIS-based and are very good at showing closures and road conditions, links below from my bookmarks. Plan ahead if you need to take I-10 through Tucson to either US 70 to Roswell or I-20 to the DFW area... it adds at least a half day.

In 2015 I had to leave the Phoenix area a day early to get ahead of the snow. The interstate was clear all the way but the subsequent ice storm and high winds left me somewhat without power in SW OK for a week; having learned the lessons of 2010, I have a generator that powers most of the home.

AZ: https://az511.com/

NM: https://nmroads.com/mapIndex.html?

TX: https://drivetexas.org/#/7/32.340/-99.500

OK: https://ok.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View...9ccfd58d92c3da
Thanks very much for this valuable info; I am going to save the links.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Yes, watch the weather. Worst snow storm I was ever in was at Amarillo over Christmas years ago. Nothing moving on I-40.
Years ago, one night shortly after I exited I-35 at Highway 51 during a heavy snowstorm, I-35 was closed north of Oklahoma City to no surprise of my own.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 PM

2,464 posts, read 2,485,547 times
Stop in Amarillo for the big-steak challenge. If you can eat a 72oz steak, you get it free.

https://www.wideopeneats.com/big-texan-steak-challenge/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: