Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 03:57 PM

24,315 posts, read 13,167,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Stop in Amarillo for the big-steak challenge. If you can eat a 72oz steak, you get it free.
You have to eat the steak and the dinner fixin's too, in an hour.

Or, approaching from the west, exit at Arnot Road [exit 60] and visit Cadillac Ranch, topic of a Bruce Springsteen song. And marvel at how flat it is out there. If the winds are out of the south, watch out right past MP 49 just east of Wildorado. Big feedlot, bigger stink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 09:56 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,911,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yeah, that would be bad. We have little to no experience driving in snow!
Driving in snow is different. Here are a few things to keep in mind about driving on and/or in snow (and possibly ice): slow down and allow more distance between vehicles. Calculate your turns, lane shifts, and other major changes ahead of time and execute them in semi-slow motion. Use your turn signals well in advance of turns.

If your car skids, steer in the direction of the skid, and do NOT jam on the brakes (which is instinctive - force yourself to remember this one). Ask your mechanic if pumping your brakes lightly would be helpful during a skid - this works well for some cars, not at all for others. In any case, if you skid, take your foot off the gas.

Keep your lights on, even if you're not using the windshield wipers.

Make sure your car has enough antifreeze and windshield wiper fluid, and get yourself a snow/ice scraper and ask someone knowledgeable how to use it - seems obvious, but breaking up ice on a windshield requires a little technique. See if you can find a small snow shovel to keep in the trunk, just in case snow falls overnight and you need to dig out. Keep a blanket in your car and adequate drinking water. Keep up with the weather forecasts during your trip - not just for wherever you are, but for wherever you are heading and the area you will travel through to get there. Ditto road conditions - all states have websites with this info. Make sure your phone stays charged. Don't let your car's locks freeze - see if you can find some spray lock defroster.

If you can add a day to your travel time, it would relieve some of the pressure and allow for a more leisurely drive, especially if weather conditions may be uncooperative.

Oh, yeah, you're going to be pretty close to the Grand Canyon - you could see both Oak Creek Canyon and Grand Canyon during that extra day I suggested, as they are not that far apart.

Have a good trip.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:52 AM

14,338 posts, read 11,733,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Stop in Amarillo for the big-steak challenge. If you can eat a 72oz steak, you get it free.

https://www.wideopeneats.com/big-texan-steak-challenge/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
You have to eat the steak and the dinner fixin's too, in an hour.

Or, approaching from the west, exit at Arnot Road [exit 60] and visit Cadillac Ranch, topic of a Bruce Springsteen song. And marvel at how flat it is out there. If the winds are out of the south, watch out right past MP 49 just east of Wildorado. Big feedlot, bigger stink.
Ha, my husband would love to try, but I think I just won't tell him about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Driving in snow is different. Here are a few things to keep in mind about driving on and/or in snow (and possibly ice): slow down and allow more distance between vehicles. Calculate your turns, lane shifts, and other major changes ahead of time and execute them in semi-slow motion. Use your turn signals well in advance of turns.

If your car skids, steer in the direction of the skid, and do NOT jam on the brakes (which is instinctive - force yourself to remember this one). Ask your mechanic if pumping your brakes lightly would be helpful during a skid - this works well for some cars, not at all for others. In any case, if you skid, take your foot off the gas.

Keep your lights on, even if you're not using the windshield wipers.

Make sure your car has enough antifreeze and windshield wiper fluid, and get yourself a snow/ice scraper and ask someone knowledgeable how to use it - seems obvious, but breaking up ice on a windshield requires a little technique. See if you can find a small snow shovel to keep in the trunk, just in case snow falls overnight and you need to dig out. Keep a blanket in your car and adequate drinking water. Keep up with the weather forecasts during your trip - not just for wherever you are, but for wherever you are heading and the area you will travel through to get there. Ditto road conditions - all states have websites with this info. Make sure your phone stays charged. Don't let your car's locks freeze - see if you can find some spray lock defroster.

If you can add a day to your travel time, it would relieve some of the pressure and allow for a more leisurely drive, especially if weather conditions may be uncooperative.

Oh, yeah, you're going to be pretty close to the Grand Canyon - you could see both Oak Creek Canyon and Grand Canyon during that extra day I suggested, as they are not that far apart.

Have a good trip.
Also good advice, saved in my notes; thanks!

Old 11-22-2019, 04:40 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,349,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
If coming through on I-40, will also be passing by Meteor Crater (between Flagstaff and Winslow) and Painted Desert/ Petrified Forest National Park.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 397,968 times
If you have the time, particularly if you plan to spend the night in Albuqurque N.M. go to "Old Town" Albuquerque, have dinner at The La Placita -ask for a table in the 'Tree Room' - then browse the many shops in the Old Town area.. you won't regret doing this. Albuquerque Old Town

Old 11-26-2019, 08:51 PM

57 posts, read 57,970 times
Not too likely to hit a snow storm except at high altitude right around Flagstaff, but yes, definitely check the forecast and road conditions.

There's not much nature-wise on that route. You'll drive right past Grand Canyon, of course, which sometimes can have OK weather on the South Rim in January, and in winter the crowds are a lot less.

The Barringer Meteor Crater just east of Flagstaff is unique, spectacular, and easy to enjoy in just an hour.

https://www.barringercrater.com/

The Petrified Forest is worth a stop also, but to get a good experience you have to get out of the car and go on short walks, which might not be fun if it's too cold and windy. Also it would take longer since you need to drive a ways into the park.

The tram up Sandia Peak next to Albuquerque gives nice views. I don't know if they operate in winter.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:36 PM

241 posts, read 432,255 times
I’ve made that drive more times than I can count now. There are two good halfway stops, IMO. Flagstaff and Gallup. Flagstaff from LA gets you slightly closer and is still a long haul to OKC but there is a lot to do and I very cool old fashioned hotel that is kept up called Monte Vista. Lots to do in flagstaff. Gallup is more of a centralized halfway point and has a somewhat cool Main Street.

I often drive straight through though if I’m really tired and just need a couple hours rest I usually hit up a rest stop right at the AZ/N.M. border.

A couple cool spots to stretch out and eat are Williams(great Main Street), central ave. By university of N.M. in Albuquerque, and Amarillo has cool spots like 6th st west of downtown or some nice joints along I-40. If you are more for recreation and outdoors Paulo Duro is like a mini Grand Canyon and has cabins for rent but reserve ahead of time, Santa Rosa has the blue hole which I believe is open to dice year round and maintains a stable water temperature, Sedona isn’t too far off I-40 and has tons of spots to camp and you can just do it free for a night with no issues(same thing with oak creek).

Make you to take a picture standing on a corner in Winslow.

I’m a bit unorthodox when I travel and tend to do spontaneous and weird things like dive the blue hole so I am not sure if my suggestions work lol...

Old 12-01-2019, 07:55 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas! I know we won't be able to stop at all of them but it looks like we have a lot of good options.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:59 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,595,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We'll be driving from Southern California to Oklahoma City in December, via I-40. We've been to Oklahoma before (have family there), but have always flown. And we'll be flying back this time; the purpose of driving out is to transfer a car from one place to the other. This isn't a sightseeing trip and we will mainly need to keep moving, but it seems like a shame if we can't stop somewhere for at least a couple of hours to see something new and interesting.

So, if there is anyone here who has made that drive and can recommend something we might enjoy, I'd appreciate it. Flagstaff? Albuquerque? We are "nature" people, so maybe the Petrified Forest? If you could only stop ONCE along this route to sightsee (sleeping overnight doesn't count), where would you stop?

Anything we should know about making this drive in later December, weather-wise? Thanks for any advice.

The only negative aspect of this trip is that you are driving Interstate 40 during the month of December. I am originally from Metropolitan Tulsa Oklahoma but have spend the majority of my life in the state of California , both northern and southern.

1. One of the Seven Wonders of the World the Grand Canyon , if you haven't been please place it on your bucket list!!!

2. Albuquerque New Mexico historic Route 66 districts, you are seeing Route 66 at its best. Old Town Albuquerque.... Albuquerque New Mexico science children museum I guess it's called the Explora Now , correct me if I am wrong......

3. Take a short 50 miles Drive North of Albuquerque New Mexico into Santa Fe New Mexico , that should blow you away....

I wasn't very much impressed by the meteorite crater because the federal government should have made it a national park , instead of what it is today a family business tourist trap........

The Petrified Forest also didn't impress me , and would more likely be worse in the month of December....... You have to stop a lot and jump out of your car lot and walk around a lot to see the petrified wood!!!!

Santa Rosa New Mexico is nice but it's just not on the same level as Albuquerque and Santa Fe New Mexico!!!!

I'm on my cell phone now and can't put any hyperlinks into the text but I will do so later take care of yourself and have a nice trip...

Last edited by Howest2008; 12-01-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-01-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The only negative aspect of this trip is that you are driving Interstate 40 during the month of December. I am originally from Metropolitan Tulsa Oklahoma but have spend the majority of my life in the state of California , both northern and southern.

1. One of the Seven Wonders of the World the Grand Canyon , if you haven't been please place it on your bucket list!!!
Fortunately, that's the one thing we have already seen. We did a Zion-Bryce-Grand Canyon road trip a few years ago. Highly recommend this to everyone!

Thanks for the other tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: