Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Can anyone here compare Oklahoma to south Texas? I'm trying to decide between Tulsa and San Antonio. I know San Antonio weather well and I figure Tulsa has to be a little bit better, right?
Better in what way? Not as hot, in other words 90's and hundreds start later and end sooner. More snow and below freezing lows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 09:02 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Again, it's great for a few days. It ain't great for five months.

The summer of 2011 in OKC was eerily similar to a "typical" Phoenix summer.

Hopefully with climate change, summers like that don't become more common in Oklahoma. At least in Phoenix you have the payoff of nice winters and you can also go up to the higher elevations in the summer to cool off. Central Oklahoma has pretty awful weather most of the year and there really isn't an escape nearby. Most people go to Colorado and that's about a 10 hour drive.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:23 PM

57 posts, read 57,920 times
Climate: Very four-season. You can count on highs in the 90's and lows in the 70s throughout July-Aug, highs in the 80's Sept and June, and humid all summer, as everyone says, except off and on in Sept. when cool fronts start coming in with more comfortable air. I think nobody has mentioned the wind. Sometimes the wind bothers people who aren't used to it. Most days there's a very noticeable wind, e.g 10 to 30 mph, though not as much in the eastern third of the state. Wind turbine construction is booming in the western half of the state. In OKC and north, you can expect several inches of snow per year, usually a few inches at a time which soon melts, plus a bigger snow every few years, and a lot of chilly, windy days (30's and 40's). The southeast third of the state gets even less.

Tornadoes: According to this map, almost every location in the state was in a tornado warning at least once from 2008 to 2016.

https://www.ustornadoes.com/2017/04/...nce-2008-maps/

Tornado warnings are typically issued for more or less county-size areas, but most tornadoes are about 100 yards wide or less and travel just a few miles. Also, now that radar can detect tornadoes forming before they drop out of the clouds, sometimes tornado warnings are issued based on a circulation which doesn't eventually turn into a tornado. There are many small towns in OK which have never been hit by a twister. But tornado detection, tracking, and warning in OK is world state-of-the-art.

Cats: Coyotes are common in the OK as they are in most of the US now, east of the Rockies, OK included, and they've learned that people's small dogs and cats make good meals. In some study -- I forget where -- a third of the coyotes caught were found to have "cat food" in their stomachs. You would have to keep your cats indoors or in a very sturdy cage at night, but this is a danger in much of the US now, even in the suburbs of the big Eastern cities.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:29 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Rigeleer
Main Coone cats are not coyote food but high dollar pets and considering their fur not likely to spend much time out doors in OK.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Rigeleer
Main Coone cats are not coyote food but high dollar pets and considering their fur not likely to spend much time out doors in OK.
It looks like there are some Maine Coon catteries in the state so apparently some people have them here in Oklahoma.

Most rural people I know who are worried about keeping their cats safe put them in the house or secured barn at nights and let them out in the day.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
It looks like there are some Maine Coon catteries in the state so apparently some people have them here in Oklahoma.

Most rural people I know who are worried about keeping their cats safe put them in the house or secured barn at nights and let them out in the day.
Aside from OP not having gotten the desired answers - she breeds Maine Coons for sale. Cats like that do not go outside for the day nor do they thrive in OK weather.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
The Bengal cat has probably become more popular than Maine Coons at least at cat shows, pictured. They're more wild looking than Maine Coons. Siamese don't seem to be as popular as they were.

Cat show coming to Stillwater Nov. 23-24. https://thunderkatz.weebly.com/

Old 10-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The Bengal cat has probably become more popular than Maine Coons at least at cat shows, pictured. They're more wild looking than Maine Coons. Siamese don't seem to be as popular as they were.

Cat show coming to Stillwater Nov. 23-24. https://thunderkatz.weebly.com/
OT:

Townie - do you have any idea what it takes to have a Bengal or Bengal mix? We have one - thrown out by her humans after being declawed in the front and simply too much for them to handle. Very high maintenance as in attention. Product of a back alley breeder. Our other whiskered landlord is a purebred Mustang Road Warrior - Maine Coon and Ragdoll. As much as she talks she could cheer lead for OSU. You can read up on her in the cat forum.

Getting popular - yes and getting more cross bred with all the problems of everyone involved. Some US states and some countries actually do not allow them within certain breeding stages in households or require wild animal licenses. Generally you see the "watered down" version and they still have a wild hair.

OP supposedly breeds Main Coons. No reference in her posts or anywhere a breeder would hang a shingle. I keep my personal opinion to myself.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
This is the typical response of people who have "been" to Phoenix............for a few days. Unless you've been through the 5 month exercise that entails a full Phoenix summer.......you don't get the full effect.

Well, just met a guy from Tucson at church the other day who has family here in OK City.

He says that he much prefers the dry heat of Arizona over the humidity and heat of Central/Eastern Oklahoma.

I think there are many who would trade Arizona for OK City straight-up even though Arizona is in the desert and has very little tree line except in Flagstaff.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:44 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times
I have a sister in law who grew up in SE Oklahoma and married an OKC guy she meet at OU. They had two kids and were living in Edmund but had to move to Arizona for one of the kids allergies. The child trived in Arizona without the heavy meds it took in Oklahoma to keep her breathing at nights. I am sure the meds have changed but their move was all about allergies and they are still in living out west 30 years later.

We visited that area alot over the years, while it is a nice change of pace it is not my cup of tea. I love not sweating but a climate the dry is bound to face major water supply issues in the future. While they can be addressed it always takes a lot of money. I can put up with the humidity to have more water around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma