Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 06:27 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times

Advertisements

OP can always consider places like Cleveland area, Syracuse or even my area. They are all very affordable and a one-bedroom place can be found for under $500 in many cases. Lesser chance of tornadoes too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
If you can think of a NICER place on the map of the United States of America for a poor person, age 55+, to get a clean-and-well-maintained 1-br apartment in a decent neighborhood for $420/month, please let me know.

A poor person is going to have it crappy everywhere.

The conspiracy for POOR Americans is not to find the "nicest place" he/she can afford, but the "least crappy" place he/she can afford.

I'm not living in Hooverville but a Trumpville.
Doesn't Lawton have city owned housing for low income disabled people like what Stillwater has? Even if Lawton did, though, there might be a waiting list for it. https://stillwaterhousing.org/roxie-weber

Old 07-15-2019, 05:12 AM

24,302 posts, read 13,147,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Doesn't Lawton have city owned housing for low income disabled people like what Stillwater has? Even if Lawton did, though, there might be a waiting list for it. https://stillwaterhousing.org/roxie-weber
The Lawtonian, a multi-story complex, was declared condemned after asbestos was found in it a few years back, and it's being rebuilt. There are a number of Sec 8 type places throughout the city. With wait lists.

Lawton rents seem higher than other places in OK and the US for the COL in the area. Likely because of a large number of people seeking only to rent (Cameron University, Fort Sill). It was like that in Enid when I was in pilot training in the 80s. Simple supply and demand.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Hey OP, just to refresh your memory...Hoovervilles didn't have plumbing, running water or electricity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooverville

At least you didn't describe your apartment as a concentration camp, so there is that. *sigh*

Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
Oh gosh, suck it up. Every electric company charges a "service charge".

If you want to live alone you have to pay a cost for your privacy. If you want to save money you need to take on a room mate.

Trump isn't the cause of your problems. Get over that. Whatever happened to your trucking job?

Old 07-16-2019, 03:12 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
I live on less than the OP makes. My electric bill is averaged out so I don't get really high bills in the summer.

Next time do your homework so you won't have to get online and start wailing and gnashing your teeth. Did you at least check online about "Rawton" before you jumped?

OG&E has a low income program. Pay attention to their notices of when their rates jump from $.07/kwh to $.44/kwh hour. Get a window unit instead of using your central air. Change your AC air filters every three months. Get to DHS and get on EBT (food stamps). If you can't afford an apt on your own there are ads looking for roommates.

Good luck with everything.

Just for future reference any college town will have high rents. Not to mention an
Army and Air Force base nearby will up the demand.

Maybe you can move in with Bawac!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:06 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
To me it seems like a rant thread. Money is tight, nobody gives the expected answers. A lot of good advice was given though.

VA is not a mandatory solution for service related medical treatment. If veteran's residence is outside the 50 mile or so radius which is being considered commutable mileage can be billed or a release for treatment at local facilities can be requested.

Service related disability does not mean no work. There are plenty of programs for part time employment which do not affect disability benefits. But that requires due diligence and research.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

Just for future reference any college town will have high rents. Not to mention an
Army and Air Force base nearby will up the demand.

Yeah, finding a nice 3 bedroom house for rent in Stillwater for under $1000 is difficult, or a two bedroom house for under $650. Apartments are cheaper, but a lot of people don't like the noise and congestion.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:40 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

Old 07-16-2019, 05:47 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
I just spent over $2,000 in my bank account just to move here.
I moved in from Boise, ID where "roommate-free" apartment rent is getting too damn expensive. I'm age 55, an American veteran, and get a little VA Pension for disabilities to to live on at $1,127/mo. I get $15 in SNAP also.

It was my anticipation that I would get a decent apartment cheap on account of this state's being a crappy place on the map weather-wise and most Americans don't want to live here in the Heartland States and that since apartments here are cheap, electricity and everything else on the local economy should also be cheap. My last PSO bill was over $94!! My fuel consumption for just 733 kwh WAS UNDER $27!! The bastards at PSO (Piece of Sh_t Operations) hit me for over $58 just for the lousy "SERVICE" charge.

I thought the whole Oklahoma cost of living would be on a sliding scale, cheap housing must mean cheap everything else. Housing is the single greatest monthly expense for renters.

I thought Mother Nature with the horrible weather of Tornado Alley would drive the price of everything down into the ground. I thought my only consolation to live in Oklahoma would be putting up with sh_tty weather.

I've had no trouble at all getting a driver license in a number of other states but the bastards at Public Safety in Comanche County won't issue me an Oakie license because I have a name different on my out-of-state license that what is on my birth certificate. I have notarized document attached to my BC that every other state will accept except Sooner. Oklahoma is Sooner State because the sooner people can afford to get out of here the better.

I can't afford to keep moving forever.

Yes, I totally underestimated OK before trucking my rented moving van in here.

Now, it's true that gasoline is quite "cheap" here now at only $2.15 a gallon.
But being a poor man not working, I don't have to drive much anyway and I get travel pay from the VA for medical appointments.

So, here's my compromise to get to be roommate-free as a poor American in Lawton, OK:

1. a slum-lord apartment complex, LaneStone at 4733 NW Motif Manor, in such a slummish neighborhood
2. crappy weather
3. crabby local taxi companies
4. fat-ass electric bills
5. rotten weather.... the threat of tornadoes, flash floods and nasty summer humidity
6. local streets and infrastructure that's totally broke-dick
7. a bunch of bible-thumping buffoons who vote Republican
8. crappy grocery shopping choices: an utter lack of a warehouse supermarket like WinCo

If you can think of a NICER place on the map of the United States of America for a poor person, age 55+, to get a clean-and-well-maintained 1-br apartment in a decent neighborhood for $420/month, please let me know.

A poor person is going to have it crappy everywhere.

The conspiracy for POOR Americans is not to find the "nicest place" he/she can afford, but the "least crappy" place he/she can afford.

I'm not living in Hooverville but a Trumpville.
Heh, heh, heh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma