Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,227,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Just East of Cinci Appalachia begins, and it is underdeveloped so to speak, plenty of nature and seclusion. It just has better climate and weather than OK, and it has much better rural/city balance linked by decent roads.Eastern OK has trees, but they have western scrubby appearances due to regular droughts and ice storms, intense heat and humidity go together with those trees, but it can get hot and humid anywhere in OK. There must be some reasons to live in OK but it is not a good pick as far as getting 40 acres and a mule/job.
Have you been to eastern Oklahoma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 06:45 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Have you been to eastern Oklahoma?

AT least here in eastern Oklahoma you don't have fire ants. it is beautiful. Grove area has a lot of cattle ranches.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
AT least here in eastern Oklahoma you don't have fire ants. it is beautiful. Grove area has a lot of cattle ranches.
Eastern Oklahoma doesn't have earthquakes, either.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:07 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,227,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Eastern Oklahoma doesn't have earthquakes, either.

Yeah, I have felt maybe three earthquakes ever and those all were actually centered in central or northwest Oklahoma. I've never heard of any earthquake damage in eastern Oklahoma. Tornadoes are much more rare too.

Eastern Oklahoma does not not have red clay soil, nor "white desiccated grass", as my monthly bill for lawn mowing from April to November will attest to. And I rarely water my grass because get a good deal of rain. Eastern Oklahoma averages 40-50 inches of rain a year, even more than Cincinnati gets. Ice storms, while they do happen are a once or twice a decade kind of thing, so the trees are not "scrubby", the mature trees in my yard all go up to and over 100' tall. Not as tall as trees in the south, but plenty tall.

The large number of farms here, growing corn, wheat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, sod, trees and everything else goes against the idea that the area isn't "agriculture friendly".

As for a rural/city balance, the Dallas metro is just south of southeast Oklahoma, the booming NW Arkansas metro is just due east of northeast Oklahoma and part of eastern Oklahoma is in the smaller Ft Smith metro.

That's not mentioning that the Tulsa metro area, with a million people that take up much of northeast Oklahoma. So while there are certainly plenty of rural areas in eastern Oklahoma the idea that there are no cites and no rural/city balance is just wrong.

We actually have roads here too. Shocking I know.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,421,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Yeah, I have felt maybe three earthquakes ever and those all were actually centered in central or northwest Oklahoma. I've never heard of any earthquake damage in eastern Oklahoma. Tornadoes are much more rare too.

Eastern Oklahoma does not not have red clay soil, nor "white desiccated grass", as my monthly bill for lawn mowing from April to November will attest to. And I rarely water my grass because get a good deal of rain. Eastern Oklahoma averages 40-50 inches of rain a year, even more than Cincinnati gets. Ice storms, while they do happen are a once or twice a decade kind of thing, so the trees are not "scrubby", the mature trees in my yard all go up to and over 100' tall. Not as tall as trees in the south, but plenty tall.

The large number of farms here, growing corn, wheat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, sod, trees and everything else goes against the idea that the area isn't "agriculture friendly".

As for a rural/city balance, the Dallas metro is just south of southeast Oklahoma, the booming NW Arkansas metro is just due east of northeast Oklahoma and part of eastern Oklahoma is in the smaller Ft Smith metro.

That's not mentioning that the Tulsa metro area, with a million people that take up much of northeast Oklahoma. So while there are certainly plenty of rural areas in eastern Oklahoma the idea that there are no cites and no rural/city balance is just wrong.

We actually have roads here too. Shocking I know.
Ive driven from Dallas to NWArkansas three times in the past 7 months or so. I drive up thru the SE Oklahoma now as my favorite route. Its not the fastest but it is relaxing and great roads with nice views and little traffic. I drive through Durant to Clayton then up 271 I believe it is up to near Ft Smith. It truly is a nice way to go and the road runs throught those long valleys between the mountain ranges so its flat and easily driven at a good speed.

I grew up in Durant and had no idea about the further East and north of US70 areas were like this. I met a person on CD that was looking across the US for a place to go off the grid and be self sufficient. He ended up calling this area the best for his needs and a super well kept secret.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,126 times
I think Okies are very welcoming for the most part. We moved to Washington (just south of Norman) a few years ago and I was very worried that it would be very clique-ish. But I will admit I was wrong!

There are a lot of smaller towns that are within 30 min to an hour from hospitals. Purcell/Lexington area has a lot of ranches. There’s some small ranches in Washington too. We love it here!

Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,513,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGlover10 View Post
I think Okies are very welcoming for the most part. We moved to Washington (just south of Norman) a few years ago and I was very worried that it would be very clique-ish. But I will admit I was wrong!

There are a lot of smaller towns that are within 30 min to an hour from hospitals. Purcell/Lexington area has a lot of ranches. There’s some small ranches in Washington too. We love it here!

Cool. Are Y'all Native Okie or did you come from out of State?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma