Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:43 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times

Advertisements

SE Ohio just outside of Cinci has cheap land, plenty of trees, water no tornadoes, droughts, floods, ice storms, oppressive heat & humidity, nasty critters etc. etc., trading Ohio for Oklahoma is unwise on many levels. Dont forget about water rights, mineral rights, fracking and related earth quakes. OKlahoma is not particularly agriculture friendly environment, I assume you want to do something with your 40 acres other than looking at dessicated white grass and red clay under it. Not that far east of cincinnati smaller plots are priced at around $3000/acre.

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-10-2017 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 09:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
SE Ohio just outside of Cinci has cheap land, plenty of trees, water no tornadoes, droughts, floods, ice storms, oppressive heat & humidity, nasty critters etc. etc., trading Ohio for Oklahoma is unwise on many levels. Dont forget about water rights, mineral rights, fracking and related earth quakes. OKlahoma is not particularly agriculture friendly environment, I assume you want to do something with your 40 acres other than looking at dessicated white grass and red clay under it. Not that far east of cincinnati smaller plots are priced at around $3000/acre.
LOL, Cinci area sounds like a very sheltered life style. Maybe the poster is looking for something more of a wild west nature, maybe complete with rattle snakes. It not hard to find land in Oklahoma that is better than white grass and red clay. Indeed, one town in Oklahoma was named Ringwood, because it's surrounded by trees.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, Cinci area sounds like a very sheltered life style. Maybe the poster is looking for something more of a wild west nature, maybe complete with rattle snakes. It not hard to find land in Oklahoma that is better than white grass and red clay. Indeed, one town in Oklahoma was named Ringwood, because it's surrounded by trees.
Just East of Cinci Appalachia begins, and it is underdeveloped so to speak, plenty of nature and seclusion. It just has better climate and weather than OK, and it has much better rural/city balance linked by decent roads.Eastern OK has trees, but they have western scrubby appearances due to regular droughts and ice storms, intense heat and humidity go together with those trees, but it can get hot and humid anywhere in OK. There must be some reasons to live in OK but it is not a good pick as far as getting 40 acres and a mule/job.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Sounds more like you're referring to the Crosstimbers of central Oklahoma like what you see when driving on Route 66 just to the northeast of Oklahoma City. I don't think that would be a bad area for the poster to look for land. I've been to the mountains in southeast Oklahoma and the trees weren't scrubby looking to me. But then I've driven through Mississippi and the pine trees were so tall and thick it was kinda like driving through a tunnel and made for a long, monotonous drive. Don't recall the trees producing tunnel vision while on the interstates of Oklahoma.

Yes, ice storms are a valid concern. I've known of a rural co-worker who had to live without electricity for over a week, due to an ice storm. How common the bad weather is in Oklahoma depends on where you are. Stillwater hasn't had a tornado through town since 1990. There hasn't been a bad ice storm since 2003.

I agree Oklahoma may not be a very good place to settle on being rural. Interesting the poster arrived at Oklahoma as a possibility in the first place.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
I've lived in SE Oklahoma and Pittsburgh Pa. The difference in winter weather is massive. Winter lasts many more months and is much colder not to mention very cloudy during winter. We ran the heat in Pittsburgh until early May.

There is no comparison weather wise. Pittsburgh is less than an hour from eastern Ohio. Southern Ohio is well north of the north border of Oklahoma that means its much colder. There is fracking in Ohio and there are tornados n Ohio.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,559 times
Oklahoma has many nice lakes, Might as well find some land near one of those. The eastern part of the state tends to be the prettiest, and the most rain.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
OP two major corporations have located new plants near Durant. Schools for their well paid employees was a key consideration as well as cost of living.

Cardinal Glass built there a glass manufacturing plant of 5 acres under roof. They came to Ok from Chicago area.

The larger plant is currently nearing completion. It is a steel recycling plant from a company based in Irving, Texas. They did a search of many cities in 5 states and selected Durant to build this half a billion dollar facility near Durant. They selected Durant for cost of living standard, good educated workforce, pro business climate and proximity to DFW where some of the rebar they make by recycling metal will be used for the growth and repair of roads etc as DFW grows.

It has a state university and is a nice small town that is doing good and growing, which is good for plumbers and hospitals.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, sounds as bad or worse than bed bugs.
I have never had bed bugs, but fire ants are horrible. Worse than mosquitoes and chiggers. I could not live again where they had fire ants. I am a gardener, and yet I couldn't even stand outside for a second where we had fire ants. You couldn't get rid of them. I know a gardener who lives in Ardmore in the country, and she pours molasses on their mounds or something, says that she won't allow them to drive her out. You can spray for mosquitoes, ticks, and bedbugs, but nothing gets rid of fire ants.

As to our winters, I was told that the snow line is now in Kansas due to global warming. We'll see.

And we have earthquakes here due to fracking. I wish we could ban them. I would not buy property near any fracking sites and the water will one day become toxic. Look at fracting sites on line

Old 12-11-2017, 06:23 PM

24,496 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I have never had bed bugs, but fire ants are horrible. Worse than mosquitoes and chiggers. I could not live again where they had fire ants. I am a gardener, and yet I couldn't even stand outside for a second where we had fire ants. You couldn't get rid of them. I know a gardener who lives in Ardmore in the country, and she pours molasses on their mounds or something, says that she won't allow them to drive her out. You can spray for mosquitoes, ticks, and bedbugs, but nothing gets rid of fire ants.

As to our winters, I was told that the snow line is now in Kansas due to global warming. We'll see.

And we have earthquakes here due to fracking. I wish we could ban them. I would not buy property near any fracking sites and the water will one day become toxic. Look at fracting sites on line
It is ok. We moved to Ok late 2015, I had a somewhat terrible accident due to icing on New Years, we have hardly any mosquitos (too windy), no snakes, lots of skunks (the striped kind not the board room kind), high property taxes (surprise), moles are everywhere (we are not golfers), car tags are cheap, groceries are expensive, entertainment and eating out is expensive, gas is cheap, ...

I am deadly allergic to fire ants. Two bits means Er not just a stick. It is part of life in most of the US now. You can have soil treatments which keep them out of a perimeter. Have not seen any around here but my big guy in TX was awesome.

It is so easy to find something negative. The trash guys were early today!

Old 12-13-2017, 09:29 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It is ok. We moved to Ok late 2015, I had a somewhat terrible accident due to icing on New Years, we have hardly any mosquitos (too windy), no snakes, lots of skunks (the striped kind not the board room kind), high property taxes (surprise), moles are everywhere (we are not golfers), car tags are cheap, groceries are expensive, entertainment and eating out is expensive, gas is cheap, ...

I am deadly allergic to fire ants. Two bits means Er not just a stick. It is part of life in most of the US now. You can have soil treatments which keep them out of a perimeter. Have not seen any around here but my big guy in TX was awesome.

It is so easy to find something negative. The trash guys were early today!
Sorry to hear about your accident.

We have no moles, no snakes, no rats, no mice. Not anymore. We have 7 cats, 5 are feral but fixed. They eat anything or at least kill snakes but don't eat them. I try to save the non poisonous ones, but I have never seen a poisonous snake here except at the creek downtown, and I have never had a mole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma