Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 12:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,930 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina, and have been considering several places to move for grad school. In your opinion, which city would be the best place for an twenty something, African American male, who enjoys a decent downtown (not like Chicago)? Which city is the closest to metropolitan regions in other states? Also, are both cities very prone to Tornadoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 03:46 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Hi R, I'm not an Okie so my info will be very limited. We've never been to OKC, but have been to Tulsa and it's very nice there. I guess Tulsa would be closest to Kansas City and Wichita. Sorry, but I don't know what OKC is close to. OK is a very religious state, but it did appear that there was nightlife there. OK, like my own state, is VERY prone to tornadoes. It's part of tornado alley that runs from Texas through OK through Ks. through Neb. through SD. But your chances of being hurt or killed in one is probably no more then being hurt by a hurricane in some other states or being trapped in a blizzard and freezing to death in some states. As far as being an African American, I don't think that many in OK see colors of any kind. They're very friendly and open-minded to all races .

Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,903 times
For someone in their 20's and liking to be near big metro centers as well as having nightlife. I'd say OKC. Bricktown has a lot of nightlife and it's just 200 miles (3 hours) from Dallas/Ft Worth. OKC is slightly more prone to tornadoes than Tulsa. But not much more.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:53 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I currently live in the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina, and have been considering several places to move for grad school. In your opinion, which city would be the best place for an twenty something, African American male, who enjoys a decent downtown (not like Chicago)? Which city is the closest to metropolitan regions in other states? Also, are both cities very prone to Tornadoes?
My personal preference is Tulsa simply because of the natural beauty of the area, the art deco architecture, trees, hills, etc. But, Oklahoma City has a more thriving downtown "scene" due to the MAPS project and Bricktown. Alot of people might tend to think Tulsa's downtown would be more active at first glance because Tulsa's downtown appears more impressive (taller buildings, etc).

Tulsa will be up and coming in those areas, however, because they have a similar program called Vision2025 which is an urban revitalization project aimed at improving the infrastructure and bringing in more people such as yourself to Tulsa.

As far as color goes, I think Jammie said it well that Oklahomans don't really pay too much attention to the color of your skin; it's more about what's in your heart. I grew up in a very small town in Oklahoma and even there we never gave a second thought to a person's color because such things weren't taught to us. Best of luck in your studies!

Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,077 times
I'd have to say Tulsa, it is beautiful. There are more tornado's in OKC. OKC is windy all the time and flat and ugly. Tulsa is so green and pretty. Besides, you can always go to OKC for a quick trip if you want.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 PM

I don't recall this guy ever saying he cared about land layout.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Nameless, Oklahoma City is a fine city, with great people, the very real possibility of landing an NBA sports franchise full time, a revitalized downtown, Bricktown, canals, and much more. Other people (like me) prefer Tulsa because it does have a bit more scenic beauty. Coming from North Carolina, Rwarky might tend to like the topography of Tulsa better, as it is more akin to North Carolina, that's all.

I simply prefer Tulsa over Ok City because of its natural beauty, art deco buildings, large river that runs right next to downtown, proliferance of museums, and such, but that's just my preference. Oklahoma City has many fine things to offer and both cities are in the midst of an urban revitalization that is long overdue. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and indeed most of Oklahoma appears to be in a sort of reinessance of sorts; one that is long overdue.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:27 PM

I prefer Tulsa's topography as well, he just didn't state that as a concern. But I suppose that goes without saying. North Carolina is actually very flat along the I-95 corridor. Just trees, flat land and traffic. But the farther west you go, the better.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 18,785 times
Tulsa is definitely prettier and greener but there are too many people now and the traffic is terrible. My in-laws used to live in the middle of nowhere and now live in the middle of all this new development.

I live in OKC and I love it here. It is more laid back, everything is easily accessible and Bricktown is great for a social life. Also have the Ford Center and the Bricktown Ballpark. Traffic is not as bad. I think job opportunities are greater in OKC also.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 23,151 times
I live in Tulsa, but I have friends and family in OKC. My vote is for OKC. Bricktown is better, although Brookside is pretty cool (it just gets old). And OKC gets more concerts. Plus, it's close to Norman, which is pretty awesome too. I just know if I were making the choice, I'd lean more toward the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma