Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:45 PM

11 posts, read 57,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I currently live in the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina, and have been considering several places to move for grad school. In your opinion, which city would be the best place for an twenty something, African American male, who enjoys a decent downtown (not like Chicago)? Which city is the closest to metropolitan regions in other states? Also, are both cities very prone to Tornadoes?
I would definitely say OKC. Langston Univ is a great AA college (as seen on College Life on BET, lol) Langston has a campus in OKC and also its main campus in just outside OKC. Just as a choice for you as far as Univ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 8,119 times
Thumbs down don't think that many in OK see colors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
As far as being an African American, I don't think that many in OK see colors of any kind. They're very friendly and open-minded to all races .
I dissagree....My family and I have been transplanted from Washington state to OKC.We've been here a little over a year now.My husband and two sons are Native American/African American (so everyone assumes thier Samoan or of Spanish orgin.... My poor sons have experienced racism,as have my husband.Usually it comes in the form of "those black/mexican people", "The blacks/mexicans","The N****rs","Those wet-backs",etc. Yes, I'll agree-it is a religious state....but not all Christians are acting like Jesus...I promise you-it's one of the hardest issues to deal with.But of course,once "they" are informed of my families race...it's all appoligies and "OH I did'ent know", as if that excuses thier behavior!.....SO IT WAS "OK" WHEN YOU ASSUMED WE WERE JUST (fill in the blank-any race -perferably of caucasian descent)!!!!!!
Make NO MISTAKE-you are in the south.And reguardless of the advancements that have come about through time-I believe that there will always be racisism here.The "Good 'ol boy" mentality is still in effect.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:48 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,629,933 times
HereInOK, I am sorry that you have been experiencing racism here in OK. Yes, racism does exist, but we should try to overcome those attitudes. You are right to point out to those people that their speech is not acceptable, but please do not assume that all caucasians are racists. (Not saying you are.)

When my family was traveling around Washington state a few years ago, I noticed that almost everyone was white, except in Seattle where there were a very few African Americans and some Asians. Yet, I heard an awful lot about what great diversity existed there. I just didn't see much diversity. Here in OK, it is normal to see people of other races in stores, restaurants, etc. and to live in the same neighborhoods and work in the same workplaces. Also, you don't have to be in the south to have racism, just check out the Detroit forums, among several examples.

Anyhow, I think it is important that people of different races talk with each other about racial issues, so that we can improve in the future. We are all in the same boat, so we should learn to row together.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:58 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,629,933 times
After thinking a while, I would add that as an older person I have a much more positive attitude about how people view race in OK because I remember how things used to be. OKC was fortunate to escape the worst of the issues of the past, as in the 60s and 70s, but it was still here.
I am not saying everything is perfect in OK, but it is better than it was and most people in OK are trying to make it better in the future.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:18 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,475,584 times
HereInOk, I'm so sorry to hear that. If people only realized how much it hurts another person to be attacked like that, they may think twice before they open their mouths.

I didn't mean to be misleading. We just saw a bit of diversity in Tulsa and everyone seemed to be doing fine. Since I'm white, I may not be the best judge of how other races are accepted. I only see it from the surface.

Actually, like Peggy said that there is racism even in the North. It's just so sad and unacceptable, but it's true. HOPEFULLY things will change so everyone is treated with respect and as a human being.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Default Flip A Coin ...Heads Or Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I currently live in the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina, and have been considering several places to move for grad school. In your opinion, which city would be the best place for an twenty something, African American male, who enjoys a decent downtown (not like Chicago)? Which city is the closest to metropolitan regions in other states? Also, are both cities very prone to Tornadoes?
I consider the two cities as (one city) Metropolitan Tulsa is only 75 Miles from Metropolitan OKC. Tulsa trumps OKC with "Natural Beauty" and tall skyscrapers , giving Tulsa a very Urban Look , but Tulsa has a "Small City Feel" to it wereas OKC has a "Small City" looking downtown with only 30 Stories Skyscrapers in it's Downtown, but more of a "Larger City Feel"
thanks to Bricktown (MAPS) Metropolitan Area Project(S).

The People of OKC made OKC great wereas The (Oil Barons of Tulsa) Made Tulsa "The Oil Capital Of The World" and Oklahoma only "Super City" from 1920 until 1982 Oil Bust and Depression.....Tulsa Fortune 500 Companies are bigger and richer than OKC , and the Richest Men In Town Live In Tulsa OK
..Vision 2025 is Tulsa Renaissances Measure , where the city is trying to build
(4) Entertainment Zones (A)a Bank Of Oklahoma Arena/Blue Dome/Brady Theater District(B) The Brookside Area(C)Cherry Street Area 15th Street Mid-Town(D)11th Street Historic Route 66 Area , and Tulsa Just Might Catch Up To OKC in 10 to 12 Years..2020 AD but I doubt it.

Tulsa is left in the dust as far as a Entertainment District..Bricktown Trumps
everything that Tulsa has at the Moment/ And OKC is going to have Professional Basketball in 2009 when the Seattle Super Sonics come to Town.
So Flip A Coin......

Old 03-29-2008, 10:34 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,333,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereInOK View Post
I dissagree....My family and I have been transplanted from Washington state to OKC.We've been here a little over a year now.My husband and two sons are Native American/African American (so everyone assumes thier Samoan or of Spanish orgin.... My poor sons have experienced racism,as have my husband.Usually it comes in the form of "those black/mexican people", "The blacks/mexicans","The N****rs","Those wet-backs",etc. Yes, I'll agree-it is a religious state....but not all Christians are acting like Jesus...I promise you-it's one of the hardest issues to deal with.But of course,once "they" are informed of my families race...it's all appoligies and "OH I did'ent know", as if that excuses thier behavior!.....SO IT WAS "OK" WHEN YOU ASSUMED WE WERE JUST (fill in the blank-any race -perferably of caucasian descent)!!!!!!
Make NO MISTAKE-you are in the south.And reguardless of the advancements that have come about through time-I believe that there will always be racisism here.The "Good 'ol boy" mentality is still in effect.
The part of WA I'm leaving shortly is racist in it's own weird way. Not against Blacks so much, but against every other color of immigrant, and some of them are white. The only place I've lived were race simply wasn't an issue was rural Alaska, and the diversity is something I miss, especially the foods!

But since you mentioned Samoans, I do have a story about one family - the husband thought he was a real bada$$, and every so often he'd start feeling his oats. He was friends with someone I worked with and her husband, and she said whenever it looked like he might get out of hand, she'd tell him to straighten up or she'd tell his wife. You'd think someone who was at least 6'6" and weighed close to 300 lbs of muscle, wouldn't be worried about someone who was nearly a foot and a half shorter, but it worked. He'd beg her not to tell, ANYTHING but tell his wife! Whatever she did to him, it certainly was effective at keeping him in line.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 AM

702 posts, read 2,520,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereInOK View Post
There is racism everywhere, not just in Oklahoma. Believe me, if you are looking for it, you'll find it anywhere!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:40 AM

I chuckle when I read posts that state how horrible the traffic is in either Tulsa or Ok. City! There is no traffic!!! Try living in Houston or Dallas for a few years and come back to Oklahoma and tell me there is horrible traffic here.

One of the negative things regarding Ok. City is the high drug traffic that comes up through I35. From Mexico and south Texas, the I35 corridor is the worst in the nation at transporting illegals and also drugs into this country and on further north to Chicago from what I've read. Someone complained that Tulsa does not have any major interstates going through it, in this case that's a positive!! You can keep all your low life scum bags in and around I35 thank you very much!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
You don't have to use turnpikes at all. With the exception of the Creek turnpike none of them come into Tulsa so why would having turnpikes outside of Tulsa make it more expensive to live in Tulsa? If you are already in Tulsa you don't have to use the turnpikes just like you don't have to use them when coming in or leaving Tulsa.

The Creek Turnpike connects the turnpikes together and you certainly don't have to use it. While people griped about it before it opened it was needed to get people who want to get across the south side very quickly....and it does exactly that...and people who use it do appreciate it.

Hwys 51, 33, 75, 169, and Route 66 do not have turnpikes. 412 does not become a toll until you get almost to Locust Grove, OK.

Within Tulsa I-244 and 44 are not turnpikes. I 244 and 44 run together out around Catoosa, OK and again you can make a choice--you can take 66 to Claremore and head up toward Joplin and Springfield or take the faster turnpike....

Sure you can take a Turnpike to Stillwater once you get out past Lake Keystone....toward the Mannford, OK area but you don't have to. You make the choice.

You do not have to use a turnpike to get to OKC from Tulsa. Going to OKC (after entering the Sapulpa, OK city limits) you make the choice to go on HWY 66 or take the faster turnpike. I have done both and found that I saved more, not just in time but in gas in using the turnpike than what it cost me in toll.

That is the beauty of it....in order to have a turnpike they first, had to have a regular highway to get you somewhere before they were allowed to come in and offer a faster highway (turnpike).

So there is always a road that is not via a toll road....it might cost you more in the long run in your time and in gas to not pay the toll but it is completely up to you.

I have also foolishly (ok, so I'm an idiot!) gone to Dallas without a turnpike....just to save a buck. LOL! Yeah, right! I resented the tolls until I realized how much time and gas I save then it is a no brainer.

As an alternative to state funded roads, turnpikes operate to supplement the limited money appropriated for highway construction and maintenance. The Authority receives no tax money to operate its turnpikes.

Oklahoma’s turnpikes pay in excess of $13 million per year for salaries and cars for the Highway Patrol Officers assigned to these roads. Without toll revenues, Oklahoma would have to pay for these troopers out of tax dollars.

If you have the time and want to mosey along and enjoy seeing Oklahoma then by all means don't take the turnpikes. (It really is a lot of fun to take the back roads and meander through the little towns.)
I'm curious, Arkansas has some of the best interstates and highways of any state in the US, and they have no toll roads, yet their taxes are lower than Oklahoma's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma