Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

I've got a lot more time in OKC than SA, but I'd rather live in SA. To me, OKC has always been an asthetically ugly and spiritually mean city to me. I think the overall quality of life of San Antonio is superior.

The Oklahoma city that would be a toss-up for me with San Antonio would be Tulsa. No, they aren't alike, but the overall quality of life would be similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Too Much Work

Quote:

[quote=mikey1984;34934436]I have been to OKC several times
and enjoyed my visits.

I wonder how OKC residents would compare their city to San Antonio? Which
city has more to offer, etc? OKC 1.3 million people SA 2.3 million.

Both cities are growing a lot and have a lot to offer.
Criteria
San Antonio.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio

OKC...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City

Job Growth..San Antonio
transportation....OKC San Antonio doesn't even have light rail , and it's America 7th largest city
arts... San Antonio
skyline....OKC
entertainment...... San Antonio
sports.....San Antonio
education.....OKC
economy.....San Antonio
neighborhoods....San Antonio
weather......San Antonio
cost of living....Toss Up Pretty Much The Same[/quote]

Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
San Antonio is closer to the beach!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 AM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
Sheesh...some chapped Spurs fans I see

As far as SA is concerned, its probably not the fairest comparison considering SA's metro is about 900K larger. Not to mention SA has about a 200 year head start on OKC. Basketball rivalries aside, its definitely one of my favorite cities.

But I could see the similarities. Both have laid back blue collar-ish vibes, both are heavily dependent on miliarty (SA a bit more), oil and gas (OKC a bit more), medical care, etc.

In the end though they are probably more different than alike. SA is far more Latino/a and Catholic. They have warmer winters and less extreme weather but dear god you will pay for it in the summer. HOT HOT HOT and thick humidity that makes it hard to breathe sometimes.

I appreciate the wide open spaces and rolling hills around OKC but I imagine most will prefer the Hill Country, which is pretty in it's own right. SA is closer to the beach but OKC is closer to skiing and other out of state roadtrip opportunities...just depends on what you prefer.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 PM

362 posts, read 1,058,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Sheesh...some chapped Spurs fans I see

As far as SA is concerned, its probably not the fairest comparison considering SA's metro is about 900K larger. Not to mention SA has about a 200 year head start on OKC. Basketball rivalries aside, its definitely one of my favorite cities.

But I could see the similarities. Both have laid back blue collar-ish vibes, both are heavily dependent on miliarty (SA a bit more), oil and gas (OKC a bit more), medical care, etc.

In the end though they are probably more different than alike. SA is far more Latino/a and Catholic. They have warmer winters and less extreme weather but dear god you will pay for it in the summer. HOT HOT HOT and thick humidity that makes it hard to breathe sometimes.

I appreciate the wide open spaces and rolling hills around OKC but I imagine most will prefer the Hill Country, which is pretty in it's own right. SA is closer to the beach but OKC is closer to skiing and other out of state roadtrip opportunities...just depends on what you prefer.

I thought this would be fun, and yes, the NBA playoffs was the inspiration.

I'm not sure what city has a bigger energy sector. San Antonio does have 3 Fortune 500 Energy companies based in the city. Valero being the 9th largest F500 company in the U.S. Then there is the Ford Shale boom and the city also has a huge solar energy presence. I know OKC is up there, too, with devon and a couple others. SA has a huge healthcare industry. They do have some similarities one being that they are both family oriented cities, OKC a bit more.

Job Growth
..San Antonio
transportation....S.A. has an Electric car system about to break ground, new BRT System and a huge freeway network.

arts... San Antonio-OKC Arts I don't know.

skyline....OKC because of the Devon Tower but S.A. has a more dense and larger downtown area. S.A. has some new skyscrapers in the pipeline.

entertainment...... San Antonio

sports.....San Antonio

education....I dont know. S.A. does have 125,000 college students and a major increase of college educated. 80k increase with a four year degree since 2008.

economy.....Both strong with low unemployment rates. San Antonio may have the edge because it is bigger.

neighborhoods
....San Antonio because it is older. 29 Historic districts.
weather......They are both too hot. Everytime I watch Tornado shows I see OKC, that hail over there is scary. S.A. because we don't have as severe weather.
cost of living....OKC .....S.A. is more expensive not by much though.

Last edited by mikey1984; 05-28-2014 at 11:54 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 03:25 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times
OKC is not "western." Cities like Phoenix and Los Angeles are western. Oklahoma City is more southern.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Next Year

The San Antonio Spurs defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder making them and theirs city Greater
this year , but just wait for the NBA 2015 playoffs we will show you guys a thing or two.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:48 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The San Antonio Spurs defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder making them and theirs city Greater
this year , but just wait for the NBA 2015 playoffs we will show you guys a thing or two.
Yes, and this year was a different story. So now OKC is the better city.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:41 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Hands down, San Antonio. For reasons too plentiful to even list here.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Hands down, San Antonio. For reasons too plentiful to even list here.
Hey now, The Yellow Rose doesn't beat us at everything.

At least this year the Thunder finally buried the Spurs to advance to the Western Conf. Finals.

The Spurs have been a burr under our saddle for years now so it's nice to finally beat them in a long-standing series and budding regional rivalry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma