Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,278,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
This is painting with a VERY broad brush, but people from TX and CA tend to better fit to OKC, while people from the midwest and east coast like Tulsa better.
I have never thought of this, but you are probably right. Having moved from the east coast, I find there is more of that feel in Tulsa than in OKC. And I never said Tulsa was the overall superior city. It does have the cultural edge however, mostly due to its history. OKC isn't devoid of culture however, you just have to know where to look to find it. I think OKC is more of a 'bubble' type city than Tulsa due to the sprawl, meaning if you live in the far-out suburban areas you may have no idea what actually goes on in the urban core. Your OKC is where you live or work and the square miles surrounding it. Back to Tulsa, as I said in my post, it has its disadvantages and honestly I think OKC is in a better place for the future as of right now.

I am very hard on OKC, sometimes offensively so and I'm sorry. Everyone's personal experience is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM

56 posts, read 113,143 times
Default Splittin' hairs

Honestly, they are very similar in just about every category.. I recently saw a "Top 25" list about the most dangerous areas (crime), and a part of Tulsa made the list... But there are definitely some bad areas in OKC, too..

Something I've noticed in the past, is some years OKC gets all the cool concerts, and some years they all go through Tulsa.. But, and same can be said about the Thunder if that's what you're into, its a 90 mile drive down a highway with a speed limit of 75 mph (I-44)..

I think people from OKC would recommend OKC, and people from Tulsa would say Tulsa (and both would have valid points).. I can't think of anyone I know in OKC that is from Tulsa, nor do I know anyone from OKC who has moved to Tulsa..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 PM

56 posts, read 113,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have never thought of this, but you are probably right. Having moved from the east coast, I find there is more of that feel in Tulsa than in OKC. And I never said Tulsa was the overall superior city. It does have the cultural edge however, mostly due to its history. OKC isn't devoid of culture however, you just have to know where to look to find it. I think OKC is more of a 'bubble' type city than Tulsa due to the sprawl, meaning if you live in the far-out suburban areas you may have no idea what actually goes on in the urban core. Your OKC is where you live or work and the square miles surrounding it. Back to Tulsa, as I said in my post, it has its disadvantages and honestly I think OKC is in a better place for the future as of right now.

I am very hard on OKC, sometimes offensively so and I'm sorry. Everyone's personal experience is different.

I totally agree with the bolded section of your post.. I moved to Moore from the inner part of OKC about 10 years ago, and VERY rarely do I go into the city.. Everything I need is right here..

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,223,435 times
IMHO, if you want better food, the better options are in Tulsa. OKC has improved in a number of areas with getting Whole Foods, Crest (small chain), and Sav-4-less. For a long time it was either Wal-mart or Foodland (terrible!). Tulsa has a mix with Whole Foods, Sprouts, Reasors (small chain) and some one off independent grocers. Wal-mart is present but does not dominate the market.

The restaurants in the two cities tend to be different as well. OKC has a lot of chains but also a lot of food trucks with local chefs. Tulsa has fewer chains, more local restaurants but fewer food trucks. The food truck movement has been slow here as a lot of the rents for commercial real estate in the 'burbs are still reasonably priced compared to OKC from what I have heard.

The rumor mill is that OKC chased away Costco by jacking the real estate prices (Aubrey McClendon has to pay his own bills now) so the rumor has it that they are planning a south Tulsa location. Sam's has a presence but doesn't dominate as there are people, like me, going to Plano for a Costco fix.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 AM

498 posts, read 1,608,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
IMHO, if you want better food, the better options are in Tulsa. OKC has improved in a number of areas with getting Whole Foods, Crest (small chain), and Sav-4-less. For a long time it was either Wal-mart or Foodland (terrible!). Tulsa has a mix with Whole Foods, Sprouts, Reasors (small chain) and some one off independent grocers. Wal-mart is present but does not dominate the market.

The restaurants in the two cities tend to be different as well. OKC has a lot of chains but also a lot of food trucks with local chefs. Tulsa has fewer chains, more local restaurants but fewer food trucks. The food truck movement has been slow here as a lot of the rents for commercial real estate in the 'burbs are still reasonably priced compared to OKC from what I have heard.

The rumor mill is that OKC chased away Costco by jacking the real estate prices (Aubrey McClendon has to pay his own bills now) so the rumor has it that they are planning a south Tulsa location. Sam's has a presence but doesn't dominate as there are people, like me, going to Plano for a Costco fix.
You left out the fact that OKC has Sprouts as well... one near Whole Foods, one in Edmond and another in Norman. Reasor's is looking to open a location in Edmond. Also, it's Buy-4-Less, not Sav-4-Less (close enough ). They opened a new concept in Edmond called Uptown Grocery. A lot of people like it, some don't.

No, OKC didn't chase Costco away by jacking the real estate prices. They are still scouting locations in OKC near Edmond.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
You left out the fact that OKC has Sprouts as well... one near Whole Foods, one in Edmond and another in Norman. Reasor's is looking to open a location in Edmond. Also, it's Buy-4-Less, not Sav-4-Less (close enough ). They opened a new concept in Edmond called Uptown Grocery. A lot of people like it, some don't.

No, OKC didn't chase Costco away by jacking the real estate prices. They are still scouting locations in OKC near Edmond.
Costco is planning on opening in Tulsa first and if the store does well they will open in OKC, which is what I heard. Tulsa is more of a white collar city so new to state retailers prefer opening there first. As a result there is a lot of retail Tulsa gets that never makes it to OKC.

And it also took me a while to get used to the grocery situation in OKC. Wal-Mart completely dominates the landscape here having chased out the last national chain, Albertson's, in 2007. When I lived in Charlotte, there was a quality grocery store on almost every corner. In all of OKC, you can pretty much count them on one hand. However, its just an inconvenience and is something you get used to and live with. There is Whole Foods and Sprouts now as well as a couple of nice stores from Crest, Buy 4 Less, and Homeland. You just usually have to drive past several Wal-Marts to get to them.

Tulsa is better in the groceries area as they have Reasor's, a quality local chain, as well as multiple locations of Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Fresh Market.

Last edited by bchris02; 06-06-2013 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM

498 posts, read 1,608,276 times
Tulsa is losing its edge as a white collar city. Not that I want Tulsa to lose its value as a city, but I want to be sure retailers start recognizing Oklahoma City's changing demographic landscape. The gap is closing, and fast. Just recently my brother got a nice pay raise st his company in OKC because they employer recognized that the job market is more high profile and faces tougher competition from the energy companies and Boeing.

I will say that since Tulsa really doesn't have an Edmond or Nichols Hills that steals away from Oklahoma City, it helps Tulsa appear more attractive. There have been situations where market researchers do overlook the numbers in Edmond and Nichols Hills and look only at OKC. One more problem is market researchers' tendencies to look at aged data. oklahoma City is a stronger market than it was in 2009. It's hard to tell at this point whether that will change. But one thing is for sure... Each and every single time OKC lands a retail chain who was skeptical about entering the market, the chain outperforms the analysts expectations every single time.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,346,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Tulsa is losing its edge as a white collar city. Not that I want Tulsa to lose its value as a city, but I want to be sure retailers start recognizing Oklahoma City's changing demographic landscape. The gap is closing, and fast. Just recently my brother got a nice pay raise st his company in OKC because they employer recognized that the job market is more high profile and faces tougher competition from the energy companies and Boeing.

I will say that since Tulsa really doesn't have an Edmond or Nichols Hills that steals away from Oklahoma City, it helps Tulsa appear more attractive. There have been situations where market researchers do overlook the numbers in Edmond and Nichols Hills and look only at OKC. One more problem is market researchers' tendencies to look at aged data. oklahoma City is a stronger market than it was in 2009. It's hard to tell at this point whether that will change. But one thing is for sure... Each and every single time OKC lands a retail chain who was skeptical about entering the market, the chain outperforms the analysts expectations every single time.
I think what you say here is accurate, but there are other considerations to a place than just economic opportunity.

Incidentally, I was in Tulsa today on business and it only re-confirmed by feeling that I would much rather live in Tulsa than OKC. In fact, OKC is actually one of the last places in Oklahoma I would really want to live.

But I admit, the greater portion of that feeling is highly subjective and biased. I realize that. I lived in Tulsa through some very formative years, but I also spent a lot of time here in OKC back then. I was in several bands that played Norman and OKC all the time.

So, I admit some of this has to do with nostalgia. Nevertheless, being as objective as possible using a lot of the criteria I personally look for in a town to live in, I prefer Tulsa.

Even back in the day I felt Tulsa had much more of a cohesive "scene" (not that that is the only consideration either.)

Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I think what you say here is accurate, but there are other considerations to a place than just economic opportunity.
I agree. For me moving to OKC was primarily motivated by economic opportunity. That move has paid off for my career so in that aspect its something I am glad I did. That said, adjusting to living in OKC has been much rockier than I expected it to be.

Quote:
Incidentally, I was in Tulsa today on business and it only re-confirmed by feeling that I would much rather live in Tulsa than OKC. In fact, OKC is actually one of the last places in Oklahoma I would really want to live.

But I admit, the greater portion of that feeling is highly subjective and biased. I realize that. I lived in Tulsa through some very formative years, but I also spent a lot of time here in OKC back then. I was in several bands that played Norman and OKC all the time.

So, I admit some of this has to do with nostalgia. Nevertheless, being as objective as possible using a lot of the criteria I personally look for in a town to live in, I prefer Tulsa.
Nostalgia can have a lot to do with people's attachment to a place. I myself have moved roughly every two or three years my entire life, so I don't have anywhere I really call home or really connect with. Charlotte was the first place I lived I really loved, and it took two years for me to really start to dig in out there.

I can definitely see what people like in OKC. Different places are for different people. I kind of agree with what #1soonerfan said in that people from the east coast feel more comfortable in Tulsa while people from The Southwest and Texas feel more comfortable in OKC.

I think you moved from Portland Griffis? With that in mind, I can completely see why you prefer Tulsa.

Quote:
Even back in the day I felt Tulsa had much more of a cohesive "scene" (not that that is the only consideration either.)
I definitely hear what you are saying. OKC has the feel of numerous small towns/cities combined into one while Tulsa feels more cohesive.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,346,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I myself have moved roughly every two or three years my entire life, so I don't have anywhere I really call home or really connect with.
That sounds just like me. My father moved us around all the time when I was growing up, and I followed in that tradition on my own.

Quote:
I think you moved from Portland Griffis? With that in mind, I can completely see why you prefer Tulsa.
I did just move back here from eight years away (Roanoke, Virginia--upstate New York--Portland) but I've lived in Oklahoma off and on my whole life.

I am getting to hate OKC less, and in my job I have to traverse Oklahoma County (although I travel the state extensively, work is OKC based) and I find I actually enjoy a lot o the downtown area. Some of it is a mess, but I still get a good vibe from some parts of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma