Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,937 times

Advertisements

I don't know the names of specific neighborhoods, just Brookside and Cherry St. Seems like all areas have a lot of break-ins and even assaults. In one case, it was obvious that the house that was for sale was where an assault had taken place! At one point my wife and I were interested in White City but don't know if resale might be a problem there.

So I guess we're going to chicken out and move to the burbs after all. If I'm close enough to hwy 75 the commute shouldn't be a big issue, and we'll just compromise and give up on the idea of owning a cool older house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuano88 View Post

Tulsa is a mean little city. That's the short answer.
I didn't have an opinion about Tulsa until I read this this morning:

Tulsa School Tells 7-Year-Old Her Dreads Are 'Distracting' | TPM LiveWire

Just wow. And they listed afros as unacceptable too, which I believe is just natural black hair.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,226,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I didn't have an opinion about Tulsa until I read this this morning:

Tulsa School Tells 7-Year-Old Her Dreads Are 'Distracting' | TPM LiveWire

Just wow. And they listed afros as unacceptable too, which I believe is just natural black hair.
The school is a charter school run entirely by black people and nearly all the students are black. Not that this makes the rule ok, it just is.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Here's the little girl in the video - super cute and a straight A student. It just makes no sense.

Tulsa school sends girl home over hair - FOX23 News

Old 09-05-2013, 10:41 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I don't know the names of specific neighborhoods, just Brookside and Cherry St. Seems like all areas have a lot of break-ins and even assaults. In one case, it was obvious that the house that was for sale was where an assault had taken place! At one point my wife and I were interested in White City but don't know if resale might be a problem there.

So I guess we're going to chicken out and move to the burbs after all. If I'm close enough to hwy 75 the commute shouldn't be a big issue, and we'll just compromise and give up on the idea of owning a cool older house.
I really don't think that crime is much of an issue in most of the nice midtown areas.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,937 times
I thought that too until I saw the TPD's crime mapper.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,820 times
Quote:
I'm actually a little concerned about the crime in Tulsa. Looking at homes in the mid-town/brookside/cherry st. areas but what I see on the TPD's crime mapper gives me pause. Prior to this I lived in Tulsa from 1996-2003, has it gotten worse or it is about the same? I lived in Fresno for most of the past decade, and that has a bad reputation but we lived in an okay area and it wasn't that bad. Sadly, Fresno's crime is not as bad as Tulsa's, even though it is a slightly bigger city.

Not interested in living in South Tulsa or most of the burbs---would probably be too tough of a commute for me and they aren't the type of homes I'm interested in.

Just wondering if the crime is really that bad or if it's just media hyperbole. But the statistics are also cause for concern.
I've lived in Florence Park for about 9 months and haven't had any issues. Seems like it's mostly break-ins and vandalism that I hear about but I park my cars in the garage, leave lights on and don't leave things unlocked. Hopefully, I continue to not have any problems.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,863,574 times
Quote:

We recently bought some property in rural Sapulpa in Creek County. The property taxes are about half of the Tulsa County taxes we pay now. It's still only about 10 miles to work! Don't like hwy 75. I'll take I44 any day.

A MUST site before you buy!

FEMA Floodsmart

Old 09-07-2013, 10:34 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,791 times
We have lived in midtown for 14 years and don't really give crime a second thought. For a couple of years, I think that teenagers were getting into cars that were left unlocked, but that passed.

At different times of the year, the gypsies come up from Texas (no kidding) and start trying to sell fruit or offering to do work on houses, but what they are really doing is looking for easy stuff to steal or easy cons to scam people. Watch out for them.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
We have lived in midtown for 14 years and don't really give crime a second thought. For a couple of years, I think that teenagers were getting into cars that were left unlocked, but that passed.
Some people really leave their cars unlocked in Tulsa? That's very discouraged in Stillwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma