Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:51 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,444,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I'm reading this thread and laughing because my dad grew up in a small town in Iowa where they didn't lock their doors.

I don't know if I could do that. I lock the doors the moment I walk in the house.
Quote:
I even shut the bathroom door and lock it when I'm home alone, guess it's just habit but unlocked doors bother me.
I can understand that. That's the way I was when I lived in Ca. But where I am now in OK. is a complete reversal. But it's still not a good idea to take chances, so I only leave my garage door open when I know I'll be back in less than 30 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,188,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I can understand that. That's the way I was when I lived in Ca. But where I am now in OK. is a complete reversal. But it's still not a good idea to take chances, so I only leave my garage door open when I know I'll be back in less than 30 mins.
Ha, now I'm even quicker to shut the garage door than I used to. We had it open for 5 minutes one day and when we went to shut it my dad's bike had gotten stolen. And we live in a subdivison of $150-$200k houses about 12 miles from downtown

Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasidas View Post
As a teenager, I moved from a mid-size city to a rural Oklahoma town, Actually it wasn't even the town, it was within the town school district.

I'd visited SoCal every summer ever since I was 12 though, and would continue to until I joined the military.

In small OK communities, you will be viewed as outsiders initially. I was, because everybody in my HS class knew each other as kids in elementary school almost. Exceptions were close school aged relatives (cousins, aunts, uncles) that had moved from local communities.

That image also persists in the community at large for some years. However, if you have children and they attend school, being from a state like California can be a net good. They will likely have an easy time making new friends due to interest in their state of origin. They'll be interesting.

The best way to allay this effect, is to do your best to just be "one of the boys" and "one of the girls". Attend the local highschool football games, cheer like crazy and just see the small town atmosphere for what it is. Always remember small towns in Oklahoma will always be a little clannish and small minded. Gossip will fly and is a very important social medium in these towns. Reputation is very important. Religion is a key foundation of the society. I don't believe in it much myself, and never did. I was largely an outcast however, and I didn't mind too much as I left for the military for two weeks after my HS graduation.

As for the other posts I've read in this thread. A couple things people should be aware of.

Lakes are dirtier than the sea water you are used to because the garbage that gets dumped in the ocean disperses quite a bit more before it comes back to shore, if it ever does. The lakes in Oklahoma are usually dammed rivers, and the rivers are collectors of trash that then get brought into the lakes. That's not an absolute of course, there are rednecks who litter like there is no tomorrow as if they have no care about the impact they are having, but then again, they're rednecks after all.

Also the amount of litter is usually from interstate travellers in my experience. This is compounded in the flatter part of the state where the trash blows around for weeks depending on the prevalent direction.

I know people in California, or just on either coast are big believers in recycling, green living, and sustainable lifestyle propoganda. There isn't one program of recycling on record that has shown it has saved more energy than it has consumed. The same goes with almost all sustainable living measures. Exceptions would be in modern solar cells which give a decent lifetime yield on investment and septic tanks. My friendly advice is if you want to be more accepted and neighborly in Oklahoma than in California I wouldn't be inclined to look down on locals because of their inclinations to avoid social fads like recycling.

The reason I post this, is because I recently became an expatriate Okie. I intend to move back someday in the not too far future, and I don't want my state embroiled in a social war with overly conservative curmudgeons trying to protect the old ways, and out of state people who fell in love with Oklahoma who move in and try and make it a slightly better version of California.

To the thread initiator, $2500 a month shouldn't be a problem for the near term, but since so many SoCal people are moving to the less populated states like Oklahoma, this is about to change IMO. If you are truly living on a fixed income, be prepared to do some work to make ends meet at some point.

Number one thing about Oklahoma I miss besides my family, is the spring storms and tornadoes.

My little brother is trapped in SoCal, and he wants to return here as well. Problem is he married a Los Angelina and she loves SoCal (which he and I both loathe).
After living in SoCal for over 30 years, I have to disagree with you on a couple of things.

(1) Other then the "man made" mountain lakes in SoCal, many of the "gound" lake are contaminated and closed to swimming and fishing. The most obviuos one to me was down by Temecula called "Lake Skinner". the name fits it because just looking at the lake it looked there was a thin skin covering the water. There are many more like that.
Also, much of the drinking water is contaminated with "perculate" which comes from several things, one thing is "Jet and Airplane fuel". Along side of the RR track close to where I lived there was a pipe line carrying jet fuel to Norton Air Force Base and other AFB's in SoCal.
In "89" just behind my place was a train derailment and when they where cleaning up the wreck they punctures the pipeline and cause an explosion, ( this was national news and was on "Discovery", "Disaster on Duffy St."). After that they couldn't stop it from leaking.
Further east of me, in WWI there use to be an Army Camp called "Camp Ono". After the war a huge crater was dug and all of the army's equipment including thousands of barrel of oil was pushed into this crater and buried. This caused an oil plume that has contaminated drinking water and lakes as well.
Trash, have you actually seen the streets and back roads, fields and freeways in SoCal? People dump trash, furniture, stripped cars and old appliances anywhere and everywhere possible and don't hide it.
I'm sorry, but compared to Ca...Ok. is clean. I'm not saying that your wrong about the discriptions, only the comparison.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Ha, now I'm even quicker to shut the garage door than I used to. We had it open for 5 minutes one day and when we went to shut it my dad's bike had gotten stolen. And we live in a subdivison of $150-$200k houses about 12 miles from downtown
I've only done this twice and I should do it agaian be cause I have Roll away tool boxes and shop equipment in there.
I'm only 73 miles south of you off 81.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,378,990 times
Default Well, I live in Oklahoma,

and theres no way we could live on $2500.00 a month. However thats mainly due to medical bills, and there is no end in sight because I have severe RA. & crappy insurance. Heck the insurance alone is close to $1,000.00 a month for 3 people. I've checked on other insurance, but with me already having a problem, they won't take me.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
and theres no way we could live on $2500.00 a month. However thats mainly due to medical bills, and there is no end in sight because I have severe RA. & crappy insurance. Heck the insurance alone is close to $1,000.00 a month for 3 people. I've checked on other insurance, but with me already having a problem, they won't take me.
You should call your local SS office and see if you qualify for Medicare or Medicaid, you probably do.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,942,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I've only done this twice and I should do it agaian be cause I have Roll away tool boxes and shop equipment in there.
I'm only 73 miles south of you off 81.
Can you pinpoint your location a little more clearly mk? I think I'll drive up to Oklahoma this week and show up at your house while the garage door is open. Don't worry though; I'll be gone within 30 minutes!

I NEVER leave anything unlocked here in DFW. I have a garage full of thousands of dollars of carpentry tools; expensive ones too. I have to say though that in the 9 years since we've lived in this neighborhood in Hurst I haven't had one single incident with anything stolen, or attempted to be stolen. I think it's because many of the homes in this neighborhood always have 1 or 2 people home and we watch out for each other.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Duncan, Ok. OH, I don't think I mentioned that I had a dog.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:36 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,378,990 times
Thanks mk. My dr. can't believe with all the meds I take and infusions I get that I haven't applied. He also wants me to get and use a handicap card. I just can't bring myself to do it. I've been able to get around pretty good using a combination of things. I'm tempted to do it because it would help with my monthly medical bills. I have paid into the system all my life (nearly). I know a lot of people who dont mind using it. Especially those who shouldn't even have access to it!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:23 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,942,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Thanks mk. My dr. can't believe with all the meds I take and infusions I get that I haven't applied. He also wants me to get and use a handicap card. I just can't bring myself to do it. I've been able to get around pretty good using a combination of things. I'm tempted to do it because it would help with my monthly medical bills. I have paid into the system all my life (nearly). I know a lot of people who dont mind using it. Especially those who shouldn't even have access to it!
Jess, you've paid into the system and you should use it. There ARE lots of people that cheat the system. I would feel better if someone who actually needed it was using it. You remind me of my father; he wouldn't take any kind of help like that either.

MK, I'll bring along some food for the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma