Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 PM

994 posts, read 1,239,763 times

Advertisements

We are a gay couple, planning to visit Oklahoma next year along with several other places on a round the world trip.

Here in Wales, one occasionally experiences unpleasantness in relation to attitudes to sexual orientation when checking into accommodation.

We are unsure if this is something we need to think about on this leg of our trip. On the one hand, we understand that social attitudes may be a little more conservative there than what we're used to; on the other, there is the famous Southern hospitality, and the general customer service mentality is generally said to be much stronger across the US than in Wales.

If push came to shove, we're not sure whose rights would prevail - the business/property owner's right to accept or dismiss guests according to his personal deeply held beliefs, or ours as a physically active gay couple to make a free choice of accommodation.

As I mentioned, these are considerations one must make wherever one goes, so please take this in good humour!

My thanks in advance for all thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,719,639 times
In Oklahoma City, check into the all gay Habana Inn and be just about as gay in Oklahoma as you want. It's one of the biggest gay hotels in the United States. Not too long ago, there was a hoot of a story over how an anti-gay Baptist preacher in Tulsa sneaked off and went to the Habana Inn and got arrested by an undercover officer for soliciting for sex in the parking lot. Only in Oklahoma.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Thank you for your advice. However, it would be nice to know what to expect in more rural stroke backwoods areas, as we don't want to spend our time hanging out with just the gays.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,719,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Thank you for your advice. However, it would be nice to know what to expect in more rural stroke backwoods areas, as we don't want to spend our time hanging out with just the gays.
Sorry, but I would imagine such places are where you want to stay away from. People who live in such places don't quite feel at home with people who are different from them. It's bad enough in Stillwater where some guys aren't used to lesbians, who dress and have their hair short looking like boys as in this story: Stillwater woman says attack was hate crime » Crime Beat » Stillwater NewsPress However, much of the trouble in Stillwater is caused from out of town people partying and getting out of hand.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-06-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 PM

85 posts, read 218,339 times
well I have a brother that is *****, I don't approve that lifestyle but he is still my brother and I love him. I would imagine you two will be alright in all honesty, I don't really seeing anyone being outright rude. most would probably just shake their heads and go on with their life.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 AM

We are famous entertainers in Wales and generally very good at making people smile!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,560,389 times
In my experience, Oklahoma is very different from any other southern/western state and Okies are pretty much the "live and let live" types.

I don't think you will have any trouble anywhere in Oklahoma. We have our own gays and incidents as described in the above referenced article are certainly not more common than anywhere else in the country. There are yahoos no matter where you go.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Thank you all kindly for your advises.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times
Sounds like you are searching for places where negative reactions to your gayness might occur, which would provide you with opportunity to enlighten locals via lawsuits. Could be a great way to finance your world tour. I live in rural Oklahoma and it's doubtful check-in clerks will raise an eyebrow at your news. I've never understood why gays need to tell their private business, but, hey... whatever.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 AM

5,549 posts, read 9,537,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
In my experience, Oklahoma is very different from any other southern/western state and Okies are pretty much the "live and let live" types.

I don't think you will have any trouble anywhere in Oklahoma. We have our own gays and incidents as described in the above referenced article are certainly not more common than anywhere else in the country. There are yahoos no matter where you go.

Right on the money here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma