Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

In about two weeks, I will have lived here two years. I have had plans to go and visit the relatives in California, but things are complicated with schedules and money, so I am leaving it to when it looks like the best time. But I have realized that as much as I look forward to the visit and the train trip, I will miss *home* so very much.

When I was a kid in the San Fernando Valley in the suburbs of Los Angeles, things were new and I knew the neighbors and my parents knew all the parents. I suppose it was one of the last gasps of that culture, the one that had developed in socal before the population exploded, before it changed. But I cannot recall knowing much of anyone in later years, there or other places. Last house in Riverside I felt like an outsider as fewer and fewer of the people there even spoke English.

I always wanted to move somewhere slower and calmer and nicer. I finally got my chance two years ago. It's not perfect but then no place is. I don't have a car and hate having to get rides, but perhaps as the house gets the work finished on it I can think of getting one. But I've been thinking of something amazing lately.

I know my neighbors. They are happy to help and even if I'm not from here and don't share the predominant religion, I am a part of the neighborhood. My pets are from Oklahoma now, except for one cat. I love my trees. I may take another year to get there, but slowly my house is becoming just what it is supposed to be.

But the most amazing part to me is I do feel as if this is fully home, and never want to go off and look for some other place. I'm not saying this is the place for everyone, but for me, its wonderful. So, on the near eve of my two year aniversity, I say thanks, Oklahoma for the welcome and for giving me a home I love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 AM

215 posts, read 525,030 times
Happy Anniversary nightbird. It's good to hear it worked for you. I can't wait to get there. It looks like about 5 more weeks and I'll be on the road to "come back home". SoCal in the rearview mirror will be a good thing.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:18 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
I'm glad Cushing is a good fit for you, nightbird. I've always found it intriguing how we can find a place and almost immediately like it enough to where it feels like home.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:46 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

When I was a kid in the San Fernando Valley in the suburbs of Los Angeles, things were new and I knew the neighbors and my parents knew all the parents. I suppose it was one of the last gasps of that culture, the one that had developed in socal before the population exploded, before it changed. But I cannot recall knowing much of anyone in later years, there or other places.
We hit So Cal in the late 1950s, and even lived in what is now south central L.A.

Of course, we left there in the early 1960s as the neighborhood became worse and worse. Back then there were a LOT of ndn's in LA., and most have come back "home".

I saw the high school year book from late 1940s, and more than half the senior class was from ARK and OK. Guess there were a lot of jobs back in the day.

OK is and always has been home for my family and most of us here on these boards. I feel sorry for those folks with no roots who are constantly moving about looking for their next home.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Thank you Nightbird for the kinds words for OK. It is so good to hear that someone is truly happy here. Sounds like you found the perfect spot. I just wish that people would give OK a chance before they bash us but sadly that is not always the case.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Frankly I like the bashing........encourages others to keep looking and I don't have to put up with new neighbors.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:00 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Thank you Nightbird for the kinds words for OK. It is so good to hear that someone is truly happy here. Sounds like you found the perfect spot. I just wish that people would give OK a chance before they bash us but sadly that is not always the case.
It's just ignorance on their part. People who are uneducated on Oklahoma. And, they have to make themselves feel better by running someone else down.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:26 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,072 times
I can't wait to move back to Oklahoma City from Houston. Just two more years to go. I gave Texas four years worth of chances. It's a great place for people who love Texas, and there is nothing wrong with people loving Texas. But it is not for me. I know where I want to be to make something of myself, and that is OKC. It is where I want to raise my kids, and the easy-going life I feel will be good for my wife and I.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 PM

35 posts, read 74,468 times
I left for six years. It's good to be home.
Been around a bit now and I can say from experience that there's no place like it.

EG

Old 08-29-2010, 11:09 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Ive been there several times and love it. Despite the ones who ONLY see it as 'tornado country' its like my 2nd home. And the more certain people try to discourage me from leaving Calif...the more determined I am to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma