Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 AM

28 posts, read 68,351 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Bass&Catfish2008! Maybe you could put the word out there's a guy in need of a part-time job and an inexpensive place to rent sometime in May! You (or they) can always reach me at randy_surles@yahoo.com. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM

7,898 posts, read 11,457,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySurles View Post
Thanks, Bass&Catfish2008! Maybe you could put the word out there's a guy in need of a part-time job and an inexpensive place to rent sometime in May! You (or they) can always reach me at randy_surles@yahoo.com. Thanks again.
One place you might check with for a place to live when you first get to Durant area is the Dennis Huggins hotel in Downtown Durant. I think it is pretty low cost but in the center of town and might be a good buy for a short term rental until you get your feet on the ground there.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM

793 posts, read 1,118,763 times
Quote:
Thank you, KayneMo! I'm excited at the prospect of moving to an area where Native Americans are plentiful. I've always been enamored by their culture and customs. After all, this is their country and I'm just appreciative to be able to share it with them. To be blunt, I always felt they (YOUR people!) were kind of screwed, yet they (and you) are kind enough to welcome people like me.

Indeed you have provided a wealth of new info. It appears I'd have no problem finding at least part-time work, but I'm still worried about where I'll be sleeping at night. Hopefully there are at least some folks renting out a room or part of their homes, or maybe a small apartment somewhere in the city (or very close by). Since it's a college town, I'd assume it's entirely possible.

Are housing/apartment rentals listed in the local paper? What area print media are you aware of which I can check online? What's the best option for cable or satellite TV and high-speed internet service? Thanks again for your tremendously informative post! God bless you and yours.
Thanks for your comment! Native Americans surely are plentiful in the area! About 13% of Durant's population are Native American, which is pretty high, considering only 1.2% of the US population and 9% of Oklahoma's population are Native American. Choctaw cultural activities are also plentiful in Durant and in the area. My grandmother teaches a beading class every week in Durant, making traditional Choctaw jewelry and such. Also, my great-aunt (my grandmother's sister) is the executive director of the Cultural and Historic Preservation Dept. of the Choctaw Nation, and they also offer classes such as pottery, basketry, traditional dress and moccasin making, stickball, and bow-and-arrow making and contests. I believe most, if not all, of these classes are free!

Yes, housing and apartment rentals are listed in the local paper, which is the Durant Daily Democrat. There is also the Herald Democrat based in the Sherman-Denison, TX metro 20 miles to the south. Both of these newspapers have websites. I don't know what exactly is the best, but my mom in Durant has DirecTV and loves it, as do I love it also when I visit! For high-speed internet, I believe she uses AT&T, and indeed it is really fast.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks again ! I'll start checking out what's available in the 2 newspapers you mentioned. I've begun to dust off and revise the old resume; lol. I need to hit the ground running.

I'm curious why your mother didn't get AT&T for TV as well as internet. Wouldn't there be a savings that way? Maybe AT&T doesn't offer that package in Durant. Oh well. I'm sure DirecTV offers an excellent choice of channels anyway.

I'll let you know when I get settled it. Maybe we can meet for coffee or something one day when you're in town.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM

7,898 posts, read 11,457,233 times
Quote:
Thanks again ! I'll start checking out what's available in the 2 newspapers you mentioned. I've begun to dust off and revise the old resume; lol. I need to hit the ground running.

I'm curious why your mother didn't get AT&T for TV as well as internet. Wouldn't there be a savings that way? Maybe AT&T doesn't offer that package in Durant. Oh well. I'm sure DirecTV offers an excellent choice of channels anyway.

I'll let you know when I get settled it. Maybe we can meet for coffee or something one day when you're in town.
I believe Direct TV has a customer contact center, also called a call center, in Durant. Its located on the west side of town past the US 69/75 bypass just north of US 70.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM

793 posts, read 1,118,763 times
I'm not sure why either, lol. And yes, maybe we could meet up sometime. Johnhw2 is correct, Alorica (a call center company) has a location in the west side of Durant, serving many other companies including DirecTV.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM

17,898 posts, read 13,825,822 times
Randy, I saw on the Texas board that you were looking at Amarillo. Amarillo and Durant are quite different. Are you favoring one place over the other at this time?

Reason I'm asking is if you are a nice guy, humble, and courteous and friendly.................we want you in Durant ASAP.

However if you are a loud mouth, obnoxious, braggert we want you to move to Texas...........you'd fit in better there.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:56 AM

Default The Right Choice

Thanks, guys (and gals) for your input. That call center in Durant sounds promising. I'm going to try to do a search on the company and learn what I can - contact info, etc. I guess I'd better sharpen up those typing skills fast; lol!

Eddie - I've been looking all over the place, not only OKlahoma. I've looked at the places that seem to have the lowest unemployment rate, the lowest cost of living, decent weather, low crime and good people. And no, I'm not a loud mouthed, obnoxious type. So I'll probably be looking you up in Durant in a few months ! In fact I plan to hunt down a few of you so I can buy you a coffee and donut when I settle in!

Keep the great info coming. I need to start working and find a bed to sleep in as soon as I arrive - probably May. I'm trying to line up what I can before I get there.

Once again, many thanks to all of you .

Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM

17,898 posts, read 13,825,822 times
Quote:
Thanks, guys (and gals) for your input. That call center in Durant sounds promising. I'm going to try to do a search on the company and learn what I can - contact info, etc. I guess I'd better sharpen up those typing skills fast; lol!

Eddie - I've been looking all over the place, not only OKlahoma. I've looked at the places that seem to have the lowest unemployment rate, the lowest cost of living, decent weather, low crime and good people. And no, I'm not a loud mouthed, obnoxious type. So I'll probably be looking you up in Durant in a few months ! In fact I plan to hunt down a few of you so I can buy you a coffee and donut when I settle in!

Keep the great info coming. I need to start working and find a bed to sleep in as soon as I arrive - probably May. I'm trying to line up what I can before I get there.

Once again, many thanks to all of you .
We'd love to have you in Durant or Ardmore.

Amarillo is not a bad place unless you like trees. We wish you the best and hope you find the best possible place to relocate.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Update

Hi everyone,

Here's the latest update.

I'm arriving at DFW the afternoon of April 9 and will get a room somewhere near the airport for the first day or 2. Then I plan to take a Greyhound Bus into (most likely) Durant.

I'm going to check with the Dennis Huggins Hotel in a few minutes to see what kind of availability and prices they might have. Should have already done that!

My plan is to do my due diligence (maybe stay a week in each) regarding Durant and Ardmore, check rental listings and Part-time jobs in both areas and then make the choice.

I'm excited to be so close to my arrival. It seems there's so much to do and so little time; lol!

My daughter graduates on April 6th from the University of Makati (near Manila) here in the Philippines; she's on the "Dean's List" - so my wife and I will spend a few days at a hotel in Manila and attend her graduation before I leave.

Then I'll be on my way the morning of April 9th - which is evening April 8th your time.

Thanks to all of you for all your wonderful input. Be prepared to join me in Durant for that coffee and donut in a couple of weeks!

God bless you all.

Last edited by RandySurles; 03-27-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma