Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:53 PM

712 posts, read 2,147,804 times

Advertisements

I've heard you can buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath 70's rambler for about $15k somewhere in oklahoma.. so where is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,003,601 times
36th St N and Garrison in Tulsa. Many have been remodeled and are going for that kind of money...

Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
36th St N and Garrison in Tulsa. Many have been remodeled and are going for that kind of money...

Yah, Tulsa sounds familiar.. that may be what I heard off..

Why is that area undesirable or cheap?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,003,601 times
somewhat gang infested

Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 AM

174 posts, read 450,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
I've heard you can buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath 70's rambler for about $15k somewhere in oklahoma.. so where is that?
You can get good deals in Oklahoma but I've not seen 15K. If you're willing to live off the beaten track a bit you might get something 50-75K in good shape for a single guy. A couple of years ago I visited Delaware County. Beautiful place and a nice place to put down roots if you want to start a new life. You're a bit far from Tulsa in most of Delaware to commute so you have to either work from home or try to get a decent local job. Getting something local would be a challenge since the area is largely rural or semi-rural.

The largest town, and it's not a city, I visited was Grove. I loved it. The lake is large and restful and has just the right amount of restaurants and outdoor activities that would make it an ideal place to move if that's your interest. Unfortunately, real estate in Grove is certainly outside of your 15K threshold but maybe you can find a room or small rental while you look.

I looked mostly south of Grove where there were farms and acreage. I don't know if I would recommend Kansas, Jay etc. for a single guy unless you delight in your own company. These towns have special events and their own charm but you have to go into Fayetteville or Springdale for anything resembling big city life. Springdale and Fayetteville are accross the border in Arkansas. Maybe you could live in some of the towns I mentioned and commute into into Arkansas. I don't know anything about the commute but both Springdale and Fayetteville look like they has a lot of opportunity. Personally though, I didn't like Springdale. I was there only overnight but it looked unattractive to me. It's a big town though.

Oklahoma is full of small towns that offer a reserved pace of life that is afforable. The problem is that you need to earn a living. I would ensure that I have some prospects and a few months worth of expenses before I venture forth.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERISAjunkie View Post
Grove is certainly outside of your 15K threshold but maybe you can find a room or small rental while you look.
15k+ is not outside of my threshold.. just what I prefer to spend..

I know in some places.. some of these housing/mortgage companies whatever they are.. allow you to rent the house before you buy I think you can even apply the rent purchase.. least I believe I've seen that on some texas places.. I'm not in a hurry to buy.. I'm just going to look and see what's available and if I'm comfortable..

I've read that oklahoma has one of the lowest costs of living.. is that reflected in the power and water bills? etc. I mean what's the average for summer $200 a month or winter?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 AM

174 posts, read 450,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
15k+ is not outside of my threshold.. just what I prefer to spend..

I know in some places.. some of these housing/mortgage companies whatever they are.. allow you to rent the house before you buy I think you can even apply the rent purchase.. least I believe I've seen that on some texas places.. I'm not in a hurry to buy.. I'm just going to look and see what's available and if I'm comfortable..

I've read that oklahoma has one of the lowest costs of living.. is that reflected in the power and water bills? etc. I mean what's the average for summer $200 a month or winter?

I hear you. It sounds like you have a plan. It's a great idea to rent with an option to buy. This way you're not tied down to any one place in case you don't like where you're at after awhile.

I don't know what the average is but $200 a month seems on the high side for what you're looking at. I remember a thread like this before. Maybe others can share their knowledge on utilities in OK.

Best of luck to you!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:08 PM

142 posts, read 346,501 times
So, if I sold my house here in Maine I might be able to buy a home for my husband,myself and my horses for 50,000 to 70,000 cash? What about auctions? I have wanted to move to Ok for a few years and now that oil is so high I am really feeling the need to move. 5 mos of winter is tough if you don't do winter sports.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,552,717 times
The house we live in is a 2 bedroom, one bath house that was built in the land run era on 10 acres that we bought for $18K as a foreclosure. We are 30 minutes from Tulsa, 30 minutes from Stillwater and about an hour from Oklahoma City.

Our rental properties are similar purchases. There are many properties for sale within easy travel distance to the cities.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,552,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk590 View Post
So, if I sold my house here in Maine I might be able to buy a home for my husband,myself and my horses for 50,000 to 70,000 cash? What about auctions? I have wanted to move to Ok for a few years and now that oil is so high I am really feeling the need to move. 5 mos of winter is tough if you don't do winter sports.
Where in Maine are you? I used to own a property in Oquossoc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma