Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM

736 posts, read 525,171 times

Advertisements

I'd say that Oklahoma is mostly southern, but I would also say that it is a plains state. I don't get the worsh thing because I live in Missouri and most people say worsh. I live around the start of south central Missouri. My grandma always says well I'm going to worsh the dishes now, and my dad will say he's going to worsh the clothes, or he's going to Worshington to visit my grandparents. I just don't get the worsh thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,227,932 times
Southern cities don't have any need to have restaurants with a "southern food" concept, but Tulsa does:

Southern-style restaurant comes to Tulsa | Tulsa World

Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM

14 posts, read 29,680 times
I tell people Oklahoma is on the southern plains. A bit south but still has that western influence.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,771,870 times
I agree with PennyQuilts. I think that pretty much sums up Oklahoma. It definitely has a western flare, but not like you get in say west Texas or New Mexico. And it also has a bit of a southern feel. Hey, I figure if you can get sweet tea in a restaurant, you've gotta be in an area that's at least a little bit southern.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,443,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I agree with PennyQuilts. I think that pretty much sums up Oklahoma. It definitely has a western flare, but not like you get in say west Texas or New Mexico. And it also has a bit of a southern feel. Hey, I figure if you can get sweet tea in a restaurant, you've gotta be in an area that's at least a little bit southern.
Okie's also have that unmistakable southern drawl. Simular to Reba or Garth.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,518,021 times
I was born and raised in California, but Dad is from Sallisaw and Mom is from a tiny town called Byars southeast of OKC a ways. They absolutely have an Southwestern drawl (as do most of their siblings out here) and it really stands out living in CA. I've even been accused of having it to a degree because when I'm around their house I tend to slip into it (and I forget to drop it when I leave!).

Culturally, my family seems a nice mix of Southern and Western. We never ate grits in my house, but mom cooked pinto beans with ham hocks, mustard greens, fried potatoes, corn bread, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy (including "red-eye") and other such food. None of my friend's mothers ever cooked that way unless they were from the South or Southwest as well. My parents and their immediate family also enjoyed Country music (before it was universally popular) and were Southern Baptist.

On trips to OKC (where my mom had a brother - only one who didn't move to CA) I would notice people my age were about 50/50 as far as an "Okie" accent. Those younger than me almost never had one - they sounded just like teens in California. Its no reflection on Oklahoma's geographical or cultural position - regional accents are dying all over the country and it happens in larger cities first. Pretty soon everyone will sound the same from Boston to Baltimore to Burbank thanks to television and movies. Also, geographically speaking Oklahoma is south - its as far south as Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina, plus the northern parts of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,443,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I was born and raised in California, but Dad is from Sallisaw and Mom is from a tiny town called Byars southeast of OKC a ways. They absolutely have an Southwestern drawl (as do most of their siblings out here) and it really stands out living in CA. I've even been accused of having it to a degree because when I'm around their house I tend to slip into it (and I forget to drop it when I leave!).

Culturally, my family seems a nice mix of Southern and Western. We never ate grits in my house, but mom cooked pinto beans with ham hocks, mustard greens, fried potatoes, corn bread, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy (including "red-eye") and other such food. None of my friend's mothers ever cooked that way unless they were from the South or Southwest as well. My parents and their immediate family also enjoyed Country music (before it was universally popular) and were Southern Baptist.

On trips to OKC (where my mom had a brother - only one who didn't move to CA) I would notice people my age were about 50/50 as far as an "Okie" accent. Those younger than me almost never had one - they sounded just like teens in California. Its no reflection on Oklahoma's geographical or cultural position - regional accents are dying all over the country and it happens in larger cities first. Pretty soon everyone will sound the same from Boston to Baltimore to Burbank thanks to television and movies. Also, geographically speaking Oklahoma is south - its as far south as Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina, plus the northern parts of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.
I lived most of my life in SoCal. I've lived in Oklahoma(73 mi's S of OKC) now for 3 1/2 years.
I was born and raised on a Dairy farm, but California never took the country out of me. I fit right in with OK,(minus the accent)

Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,260,356 times
As a native of Virginia, graduate of OU, former resident of AZ, and current resident of GA, I tend to agree with the Oklahoma is a good mix of west and south idea. That independent "western" spirit is alive and well in Oklahoma and I experienced that same type of culture in Arizona. After living in Georgia and Oklahoma, I can honestly say that Oklahoma has more than a bit of southern influence as well as far as food, religion, ideas, community norms, hunting, fishing, football, etc.

Being a regional border state is great. You get the best of both worlds. Virginia is the same way, southern and mid-Atlantic at the same time. Good Stuff!

The one thing I did notice when living in Oklahoma is that the northeast part from Tulsa over seemed more like Missouri and the rest of Oklahoma fits in more with Texas. Just my 2 cents.

I rather miss the blending of cultures. Here in middle Georgia, I have to go to Atlanta or Florida to get anything other than Deep South culture.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 AM

81 posts, read 255,381 times
Southwestern because I love hashbrowns and hate grits. The south loves the grits.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:33 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,993 times
Hmm...this is one that's difficult. I would say it belongs in whatever category TX is in, which is pretty difficult to gauge too. I wouldn't really call it Southern and it's kind of Midwest, but not really. Maybe Southwest, although that category isn't used that often. I've noticed the OK accent too -- they speak similar to Texans, but quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma