Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,250,331 times

Advertisements

They're doing this on the NM thread and it's fun. What are some of the misconceptions about Oklahoma, goofy or otherwise, that you've come across?

People envision the entire state as flat and dusty. "I didn't know Oklahoma had this many trees!"

LOL, and I had some tourists at our tribal complex in Okmulgee ask me, "Where is all the poverty?" referring to us Native Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,983 times
They are shocked when they see how fancy the Tribal Complex is aren't they? I always think it is funny to see the expressions of people from out of town. When I first married my first husband his Grandmother who lives in Belgium ask him if we had running water and if the Indians still lived in Teepee's. Ummmm no and no. Then I went and took some postcards of Tulsa and the surrounding area (one being the tribal complex in Okmulgee) and sent to her. She was shocked. I guess she didn't think we had electric either. Geez. Are you from Okmulgee? I live in Beggs now, moved here just over a year ago from Checotah.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,254,612 times
I work out of state all the time. Most people on the east cost think Oklahoma is a desert, I guess the dust bowl with haunt us for years to come. And they all seem to think that Oklahoma is full of Indian reservations. When I was working in upstate New York, my coworkers kept asking me how I liked all the trees and hills. They figured that being from Oklahoma this would all be foreign to me. I showed them on the internet some pics of Oklahoma and how it was not flat and dusty. I showed they pics of Eastern Oklahoma and how it looked somewhat like Upstate NY. I think they were somewhat disappointed, they were hoping Oklahoma would be like the Outback.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,377,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
They are shocked when they see how fancy the Tribal Complex is aren't they? I always think it is funny to see the expressions of people from out of town. When I first married my first husband his Grandmother who lives in Belgium ask him if we had running water and if the Indians still lived in Teepee's. Ummmm no and no. Then I went and took some postcards of Tulsa and the surrounding area (one being the tribal complex in Okmulgee) and sent to her. She was shocked. I guess she didn't think we had electric either. Geez. Are you from Okmulgee? I live in Beggs now, moved here just over a year ago from Checotah.
My brother lives in Beggs!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
My brother lives in Beggs!

Small world!!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,770,117 times
Everyone has this "Grapes of Wrath" impression of OK. It's all flat, hot, and dry, and we are all dirt poor and live in either tee-pees or shacks on farms. The other one I've heard many times is that they think OKC is a small town. They are always shocked when I tell them that I live in a suburb of OKC. It's like "what? Oklahoma has suburbs?" Uh yeah, we have large cities, that have smaller suburbs!

From people that don't follow sports, I've had people be shocked when I mentioned that we had an NBA team. Even from my own family in Texas, I've gotten some of this. My dad, who doesn't follow basketball, kept saying to me, that OKC didn't have a real NBA team. It had to be a minor league team. I finally had to go over a list of the other teams the Thunder played to prove it to him.

My sister, who lives in a small town south of Dallas, was shocked the first time she came to visit me. She and her husband drove in late at night, and when she got to my house she was asking me how I liked living in a small town and how my kids liked going to a small country high school. I told her that it was about 2,400 hundred kids in their school, and she looked shocked. Then I told her I thought it was the smallest of the 3 high schools in Edmond. She was like "how big is Edmond?" She just could not believe that OKC could have a suburb that big. Then I told her how much bigger Norman was (I know technically not a suburb, but still part of the metro). I guess she must of been asleep as they drove through the city.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
LOL, I work in Okmulgee but live in Tulsa.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 AM

When my daughter was visiting France she said the French love cowboys and Indians. They'd gather around her to ask her questions and just marvel at her since we're Indian. That's kind of cool.

People think we all ride horses. LOL, a lot of do, have or can, even if we live in the city.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 PM

78 posts, read 335,492 times
My misconceptions were that it was all flat & nothing but wheat fields for miles, I was very happy to be wrong when we drove in!! I also thought there would be nothing but white folks - another pleasant surprise, my fiance is hispanic and we really thought we might run into problems, silly us!!

It surprises me that people say everyone talks to them about church & the bible here, not so at all. I've lived in three towns here, Glencoe, Stillwater & OKC and friends have talked about religion, but strangers have never approached me, nor do I hear anything while I'm out & about, not that there's anything wrong with talking about God, it just doesn't happen like everyone thinks it does. There are also tons of different personalities, not everyone here is a gun toting country music lovin cowboy again, nothing wrong with that I love a good wrangler butt, haha, but there is a lot of diversity here.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,953,663 times
My Grandparents are from the panhandle of Oklahoma, but I haven't been to that part of the country since I was a kid. I occasionally travel to Tulsa on business, and to SE Oklahoma for leisure. The pic below is of Eastern Oklahoma near the Ozarks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma