Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 PM

25 posts, read 115,177 times

Advertisements

I Have to admit i am guilty being from south louisiana when my farher in law told me he was moving up to eastrn ok i said Why!!! my first image was of the huge dust cloud that rolled up on okc . After seeing it for the first time we moved here within 6 months and have been here for 4 years now i love it!!

Here is a link to pictures that i have posted here on city data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis mclain View Post
I Have to admit i am guilty being from south louisiana when my farher in law told me he was moving up to eastrn ok i said Why!!! my first image was of the huge dust cloud that rolled up on okc . After seeing it for the first time we moved here within 6 months and have been here for 4 years now i love it!!

Here is a link to pictures that i have posted here on city data.
We want to keep that a secret Curtis!......so, let's go back to selling the Dust Bowl myth.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 22,065 times
Default No misconception here!

I am from California and a few years ago, moved to Poteu......
It is exactly what people imagine. Absolutely nothing to do....when you drive down this small stretch of road....you are driving into town! Thats it.
I only lasted a few months before I had enough. Not to say, other people won't enjoy it. Just not my thing. I'm a city girl.....who like the ocean.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,454,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getouttahere View Post
It is exactly what people imagine. Absolutely nothing to do....when you drive down this small stretch of road....you are driving into town! Thats it.
I only lasted a few months before I had enough. Not to say, other people won't enjoy it. Just not my thing. I'm a city girl.....who like the ocean.
At least someone admits it.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 AM

I never really judged Oklahoma, I knew it was country with farm and a new immigrtation Bill HB 1804. That was good enough for me, compared to SoCal.

Most everyone in SoCal that's never been to OK assumes that's it all hot, dry, flat land. They watch to many "Alias Smith and Jones" episodes.

If you want to see Hot, dry, flat land, go to the Mojave Desert in SoCal. Your vehicle will also be sand blasted at no charge by the "Santa Ana" winds blowing the desert sand.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,253,305 times
Quote:
I understand. To live in a small town isn't my thing, either, however Poteu and Hartshorn are pretty towns and you're close to hilly areas if you like hiking trails. Tulsa is as small of a town as I wish to live, but I long for the climate and atmosphere of Seattle. Tulsa is home base for me, so I take the best and enjoy it.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,291,908 times
Quote:
I came from the wall to wall people of Riverside to a town of 9k and I love it. I couldn't shut up the first year about the open roads with all the trees and the charm of driving along and a town appears. It is what I was seeking. I've lived here two years and am now a part of the neighborhood. I love the people and the space and even if occasionally I want someone to hurry up, I really always hated that idea.

If its not your think, no harm to anyone. If I had to move to somewhere bigger the biggest would be Stillwater. I call this home now and entirely mean it. Going out to socal to visit is fine but I can't wait to go *home*.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I came from the wall to wall people of Riverside to a town of 9k and I love it. I couldn't shut up the first year about the open roads with all the trees and the charm of driving along and a town appears. It is what I was seeking. I've lived here two years and am now a part of the neighborhood. I love the people and the space and even if occasionally I want someone to hurry up, I really always hated that idea.

If its not your think, no harm to anyone. If I had to move to somewhere bigger the biggest would be Stillwater. I call this home now and entirely mean it. Going out to socal to visit is fine but I can't wait to go *home*.
aawww, Riverside isn't THAT bad.., What's wrong with "Rubidoux" in West Riverside? Or does it still exist?.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 AM

6 posts, read 7,633 times
I lived in Southern California for a while, as a lot of Oklahomans have. The misconception that I frequently encounter was that we all drive cars. I spoke with many people who truly believe that Oklahomans use good ol American horse power to get around. They have a mental picture of us on dirt roads, riding horses, using buggies and being farmers and the native Americans on reservations. They have no concept that we are an industrial and artistic state. It was a joy to be able to share my knowledge of my home state with them. The other misconception was Tornado Territory. Everyone wanted to know what we do during a tornado. I worked in a Medical Office and I had several patient who would call when they had relatives visiting just so they could hear my 'Okie Accent'. I love Oklahoma. God made a good thing when He created our land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma