Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,871 times

Advertisements

I have relatives in Belpre, OH, which is in the same general area of Marietta.

I never thought of that area as "the South". Even growing up in the heart of north central WV, I never felt "southern", which is roughly 80 miles to the east from Marietta/Belpre, OH.

Also remember that West Virginia was formed when the pro-Union western counties broke away from the Confederacy (Virginia) during the Civil War to join the Union, so on that technicality, WV is not a southern state. West Virginia is not "included" on the Confederate flag either.

But there are definitely southern and northern elements in WV, as well as in southern Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
How do you feel about sweet tea, grits, "bless your heart" and "y'all"?

While living in TX, AL, FL, and TN I never heard of anyone from any part of Ohio being referred to as a Southerner.
When I lived in MI we considered all of Ohio to be Midwestern.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,970,338 times
I'd have to say, SW Ohio is mid-western with a southern influence. To the person who said Kentucky isn't southern, you aren't serious, are you? KY is VERY MUCH a southern state. So is West Virginia, though a bit less so in places such as Morgantown, WV compared with, say, Bluefield and Beckley.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,427 times
I can see where you would think that. The reason I feel a southern feeling when I go to Ohio is because I have a lot of family who live there that are from the deep south, so they brought those qualities up there and it can feel southern at times. Other than that, I think southern Ohio is more midwestern in general.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:35 PM

20 posts, read 76,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How do you feel about sweet tea, grits, "bless your heart" and "y'all"?

While living in TX, AL, FL, and TN I never heard of anyone from any part of Ohio being referred to as a Southerner.
When I lived in MI we considered all of Ohio to be Midwestern.
Oh sweet tea is certainly popular! The natives certainly have a southern accent and use "y'all" all the time.

Maybe Southeastern Ohio isn't 'southern' but it certainly isn't Midwestern by any means. I've traveled through there MANY times and it has no characteristics to Cleveland or Northeast Ohio... NONE.

I guess it's more Appalachian then anything. But it's the one part of Ohio that is distinctly not midwestern at all... in my opinion.

To me Ohio is like this:

Cleveland - Midwest with Northeast characteristics
Columbus - Midwest all the way
Cincinnati - Midwest with some southern influences
& Southeast Ohio - Appalachia with some Southern qualities.

You can even hear it in the accents.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
Was wondering what type of culture Southern Ohio is considered? I grew up in Marietta, Oh right across the Ohio river from a slave plantation in WV. I do not feel like I have much in common with the folks up north. What is the national outlook on this?
What?

Been there and seemed mighty Midwestern to me with a dash of Northeastern.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 AM

37 posts, read 145,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
What?

Been there and seemed mighty Midwestern to me with a dash of Northeastern.
Sweet Tea is a must and we do say y'all. Not sure, what about parts you were visiting but doesn't sound like Marietta too me.

We have some names for those from Northen Ohio as either Northernites or Flatlanders.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 AM

37 posts, read 145,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I have relatives in Belpre, OH, which is in the same general area of Marietta.

I never thought of that area as "the South". Even growing up in the heart of north central WV, I never felt "southern", which is roughly 80 miles to the east from Marietta/Belpre, OH.

Also remember that West Virginia was formed when the pro-Union western counties broke away from the Confederacy (Virginia) during the Civil War to join the Union, so on that technicality, WV is not a southern state. West Virginia is not "included" on the Confederate flag either.

But there are definitely southern and northern elements in WV, as well as in southern Ohio.

AI see where you are coming from. Always felt more out of place in places like Northern Ohio and Michigan then say Tennesse or [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
Georgia. I did some research on the plantation across the river and it is called Henderson Hall one of the northernmost plantations at its time. [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 12-15-2009, 07:30 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Absolutely not. They were on the wrong side of the War of Northern Aggression.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
i am told that there's a southern accent in ohio, supposedly, but I have never actually heard this spoken, and I don't know if I believe it.

I suppose if -for cultural reasons - I can consider northern virginia "the north", then southern ohio may have some claim on being southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio