Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities/metro areas has the brightest future?
Cincinnati 55 30.90%
Columbus 59 33.15%
Cleveland 55 30.90%
Dunno 9 5.06%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
having lived in all 3 cities..its pretty much a no brainer when it comes to which has the brightest future..and with the census results only confirms that columbus not only has the brightest futuire in ohio but in the midwest region with the msa growth at 13% while cleveland and dayton are losing population and cincy is growing at a snails pace..the question is which has the brightest future..not which has a legacy of the past..yes cleveland has the best symphony in the us..well ppl in chicago would argue,and yes cincinnati has the reds..the 1st professional baseball team..and the best imo but as far as the future goes..just be thankful that ohio has columbus..in 20-25 years columbus will be the largest metro area in ohio and columbus is like some of the southern cities like charlotte where there is an excitement that comes with growth..and eventually with that growth will be the cultural amenities that come with a large diverse population.
Hopefully Columbus keeps going at the rate it is, but the brightest future probaly belongs to Cleveland or Cincinnati at the moment. I am currently sitting in my office in downtown Cincinnati and there is a buzz here that I just don't feel in downtown Columbus. Billions worth of new projects (yes, I like some of what is happening in Columbus' downtown), a dense core with minimal surface parking, and a billion dollar riverfront taking place, and much more. Cincinnati and Cleveland are doing some spectacular things, and Columbus is too. But, Columbus really needs to step it up if it wants to continue its growth and become the largest metro area in the state, because growth does come to an end, and things do get old. Columbus needs to re-brand itself, and focus a lot more development downtown. I love that city, and its neighborhoods are hard to beat, but it's time to get away from the OSU/capital city/suburban sprawl deal, and really focus on how you can be like Charlotte and have a bustling vibrant core, great neighbhorhoods, and light rail that spans in all areas of the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 02:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Since I didnt see this on the first page, I am sure it has never been addressed

Which of the three would you consider to be the most socially liberal?
Cleveland
Which has the brightest future?
Columbus for population growth (at least in the foreseeable future), in most other categories it goes to Cleveland followed by Cincinnati.
Most things to do for kids?
Equal?
Adults?
Cleveland
Most/least diverse?
Cleveland - most, Cincinnati - least
Best bookstores?
Equal?
Differences in the weather?
Cincinnati and Columbus generally have better weather than Cleveland, except in the summer. It's a little colder up here and we get 2 times the snow than Cincinnati and Columbus do.
Other thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by im the hot one here View Post
i do not like cincinnati it is so boring same with cleveland and columbus. cleveland i heard is really conservative. Columbus has nothing but yupities and cincinnati people are so rude especially on the 1-275
lol, trolling much?

So all 3 are boring? lol. Since when has Cleveland been (or called) "really conservative", even Cincinnati and arguably Columbus are more conservative than Cleveland. Columbus is more than "yupities", Cincinnati people are no ruder than anyone else, and you base this off of driving? lol. It's obvious that you haven't even been to 1 or 2 of the 3 and the other you've only driven through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
Columbus is becoming much more diverse that it was in the past. There have been big population gains in the number of Asians and Latinos and the campus area brings a large number of internationals.
I agree about Columbus' increasing diversity. A lot of people don't know but Columbus and it's metro have been more diverse than Cincinnati and it's metro for 10-15 years now, if not more. It has a higher Black, Hispanic, and Asian percentage compared to Cincinnati metro. Cleveland metro is the most diverse with the highest Black and Hispanic percentage out of the 3, also the highest Arab/Middle Eastern and Eastern/Southern European percentage and population.

All these groups have had a large presence in Cleveland/NE Ohio for decades and their numbers are still increasing: Asians, Hispanics populate latest wave of Northeast Ohio's newcomers | cleveland.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
having lived in all 3 cities..its pretty much a no brainer when it comes to which has the brightest future..and with the census results only confirms that columbus not only has the brightest futuire in ohio but in the midwest region with the msa growth at 13% while cleveland and dayton are losing population and cincy is growing at a snails pace..the question is which has the brightest future..not which has a legacy of the past..yes cleveland has the best symphony in the us..well ppl in chicago would argue,and yes cincinnati has the reds..the 1st professional baseball team..and the best imo but as far as the future goes..just be thankful that ohio has columbus..in 20-25 years columbus will be the largest metro area in ohio and columbus is like some of the southern cities like charlotte where there is an excitement that comes with growth..and eventually with that growth will be the cultural amenities that come with a large diverse population.
The most population growth does not automatically = the brightest future though. Cleveland/metro is having a ton of new construction and improvements being made, equal or higher to what is going on in Columbus from what I've seen.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 PM

285 posts, read 642,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Hopefully Columbus keeps going at the rate it is, but the brightest future probaly belongs to Cleveland or Cincinnati at the moment. I am currently sitting in my office in downtown Cincinnati and there is a buzz here that I just don't feel in downtown Columbus. Billions worth of new projects (yes, I like some of what is happening in Columbus' downtown), a dense core with minimal surface parking, and a billion dollar riverfront taking place, and much more. Cincinnati and Cleveland are doing some spectacular things, and Columbus is too. But, Columbus really needs to step it up if it wants to continue its growth and become the largest metro area in the state, because growth does come to an end, and things do get old. Columbus needs to re-brand itself, and focus a lot more development downtown. I love that city, and its neighborhoods are hard to beat, but it's time to get away from the OSU/capital city/suburban sprawl deal, and really focus on how you can be like Charlotte and have a bustling vibrant core, great neighbhorhoods, and light rail that spans in all areas of the metro.
I have no doubt that Columbus has the brightest future of the 3. Cleveland and Cincy both suffered massive population losses this past decade and have continued to decline for decades. Why would it stop all of a sudden in the middle of a recession? They didn't gain people during the 90's when the economy was booming. Cleveland also suffers from an image problem that Columbus does not have to worry about. IMO Columbus has the best future of the 3.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,695 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that Columbus has the brightest future of the 3. Cleveland and Cincy both suffered massive population losses this past decade and have continued to decline for decades. Why would it stop all of a sudden in the middle of a recession? They didn't gain people during the 90's when the economy was booming. Cleveland also suffers from an image problem that Columbus does not have to worry about. IMO Columbus has the best future of the 3.
I think some people are merely stating that Columbus has a lower "ceiling" than either Cleveland or Cincy. Both cities were built for much larger populations than they currently have, and both cities offer a much larger urban core than Columbus. There's reason to believe that if either city began turning around(and there's evidence that both are doing so), they could easily surpass Columbus. Essentially, they have more potential than Cbus.

Columbus is just about playing up to it's potential right now. A state capital with a large university. I'm sure it will experience more growth, but I'm not convinced that it can take that next step and be a "name" city like Cleveland or Cincinnati.

And speaking of being a "name" city, you mentioned that Cleveland has a negative image which holds it back. Perhaps that's the case, but what is Columbus' image according to outsiders? I'm willing to bet that a lot of people from other parts of the country wouldn't be sure which Columbus you were talking about if you didn't add ",OH" to the end. That isn't the case with Cleveland and Cincinnati. Negative or otherwise, everyone has an opinion of both cities; Columbus just isn't there yet(will they every be?).

Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I think some people are merely stating that Columbus has a lower "ceiling" than either Cleveland or Cincy. Both cities were built for much larger populations than they currently have, and both cities offer a much larger urban core than Columbus. There's reason to believe that if either city began turning around(and there's evidence that both are doing so), they could easily surpass Columbus. Essentially, they have more potential than Cbus.

Columbus is just about playing up to it's potential right now. A state capital with a large university. I'm sure it will experience more growth, but I'm not convinced that it can take that next step and be a "name" city like Cleveland or Cincinnati.

And speaking of being a "name" city, you mentioned that Cleveland has a negative image which holds it back. Perhaps that's the case, but what is Columbus' image according to outsiders? I'm willing to bet that a lot of people from other parts of the country wouldn't be sure which Columbus you were talking about if you didn't add ",OH" to the end. That isn't the case with Cleveland and Cincinnati. Negative or otherwise, everyone has an opinion of both cities; Columbus just isn't there yet(will they every be?).
It's pretty ridiculous to suggest that Columbus may never reach a level that larger or older cities have reached. I guarantee you that in 1950, no one in Cleveland and Detroit would have expected that in 2011, the populations would be way less than half of what they had been. Things change. Who cares if, in your opinion, Columbus doesn't have a "name" to it now. It continues to grow regardless. And again it's not just OSU. Our Fortune 500 companies are investing tons of money back into the city, partcularly Nationwide. We have billions in development going on or planned. The city is in the top 10 fastest growing for Hispanics and Asians, etc.

Honestly, it's a pipe dream to sit there and say that Columbus is just going to fall apart while Cincinnati and Cleveland return to 1950's glory. Whether or not they can rebuild their urban cores and stop the population loss, Columbus is going to keep chugging along, and I very much think that in another decade it may pass Cincinnati in metro size and not be too far behind Cleveland. And the city proper population will be close to 900,000. How anything thinks that the city will simply go completely unnoticed doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Who cares if they have lost population, that doesn't take away from the amazing things they are doing.

It's funny, even with the fact that I talked very highly of Columbus, you still managed to bash and downgrade Cincinnati and Cleveland. Get off your population growth highhorse, cause you still have a long way to go to catch up to the other two C's.

There is no doubt in my mind that Cincinnati and Cleveland have brighter futures.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's pretty ridiculous to suggest that Columbus may never reach a level that larger or older cities have reached. I guarantee you that in 1950, no one in Cleveland and Detroit would have expected that in 2011, the populations would be way less than half of what they had been. Things change. Who cares if, in your opinion, Columbus doesn't have a "name" to it now. It continues to grow regardless. And again it's not just OSU. Our Fortune 500 companies are investing tons of money back into the city, partcularly Nationwide. We have billions in development going on or planned. The city is in the top 10 fastest growing for Hispanics and Asians, etc.

Honestly, it's a pipe dream to sit there and say that Columbus is just going to fall apart while Cincinnati and Cleveland return to 1950's glory. Whether or not they can rebuild their urban cores and stop the population loss, Columbus is going to keep chugging along, and I very much think that in another decade it may pass Cincinnati in metro size and not be too far behind Cleveland. And the city proper population will be close to 900,000. How anything thinks that the city will simply go completely unnoticed doesn't make any sense.
Not that I doubt it, but can you post a link to Columbus being in the top 10 for Asian and Hispanic growth.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's pretty ridiculous to suggest that Columbus may never reach a level that larger or older cities have reached. I guarantee you that in 1950, no one in Cleveland and Detroit would have expected that in 2011, the populations would be way less than half of what they had been. Things change.
Excellent point. So in 60 years, the same decline could happen to Columbus just as easily.

Quote:
Honestly, it's a pipe dream to sit there and say that Columbus is just going to fall apart while Cincinnati and Cleveland return to 1950's glory.
The funny thing is, I never said that either of those scenarios would happen. I merely said that Columbus doesn't have the same potential that Cleveland and Cincinnati have.

Quote:
Columbus is going to keep chugging along, and I very much think that in another decade it may pass Cincinnati in metro size and not be too far behind Cleveland. And the city proper population will be close to 900,000.
This is sort of proving my point(as well as BeaverCreek's). You're claiming that over the next decade, Columbus will grow so much that their metro is not too far behind Cleveland's. So after a decade of huge growth, combined with Cleveland's bleeding population, you hope to be close to Cleveland's metro size.

Like BC33 said, you've got a lot of catching up to do.

Quote:
How anything thinks that the city will simply go completely unnoticed doesn't make any sense.
It's not that it would go unnoticed, it's that the city wouldn't be very respected for a city that size. Much of Columbus' growth is similar to many of the newer, southern cities; very sprawled out and unattractive.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM

368 posts, read 638,715 times
like said before ..i have lived in all three cities..and i love all 3..but columbus is way outperforming the other cities in ohio now..and the gap will only get wider with time.columbus is very underrated..it has alot more going on than many here believe..columbus msa is a lot younger in avg age and with that there is more to do for younger ppl ..columbus has been on a 50 year consistent growth spurt of 12-14%..that wont change.columbus was recently rated the #1 metro area in the us for construction job growth..while cleveland and cincinnati showed decline in construction job growth in the same news story.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Excellent point. So in 60 years, the same decline could happen to Columbus just as easily.

The funny thing is, I never said that either of those scenarios would happen. I merely said that Columbus doesn't have the same potential that Cleveland and Cincinnati have.

This is sort of proving my point(as well as BeaverCreek's). You're claiming that over the next decade, Columbus will grow so much that their metro is not too far behind Cleveland's. So after a decade of huge growth, combined with Cleveland's bleeding population, you hope to be close to Cleveland's metro size.

Like BC33 said, you've got a lot of catching up to do.

It's not that it would go unnoticed, it's that the city wouldn't be very respected for a city that size. Much of Columbus' growth is similar to many of the newer, southern cities; very sprawled out and unattractive.
In 60 years, just about anything could happen. All of Ohio's cities could be booming, or they could all be in severe decline. That does not change the fact that, as of right now, Columbus has the momentum. I see a lot of talk about Cincinnati and Cleveland development, but both cities have so much more to fix that it's going to take decades to even get close to the type of activity they once had. And unless state government moves, OSU closes, Battelle, DSCC, Nationwide, etc all go out, Columbus will continue to be fine in the foreseeable future. Saying that there's a chance that Columbus is in a state of decline in 60 years is possible, but then so is an asteroid hitting downtown.

I don't really get your second point. Columbus, historically, always had the smallest metro and Cleveland had the largest. Given changes in growth, Columbus will very likely pass it in the coming years unless something drastic happens. I'm not sure why you think this is a negative against Columbus. It actually does take time for populations to grow/decline/shift. Even a Sunbelt city like Charlotte, which is booming right now, would take a decade or two to catch up, but I wouldn't exactly say that's a negative. Starting out way behind does not mean anything.

Metro Populations:
Cleveland: 2,077,240
Columbus: 1,836,536

Change in Metro Population 2000-2010
Cleveland: -70,708
Columbus: +217,022

If these same trends continued, Columbus would pass Cleveland around 2018-2019. Cincinnati would hold that title longer, since at least it is growing.

And why, exactly would Columbus not be respected for a city its size? Because you say so? Comparing the top 100 cities for areal size, Columbus is right in the middle around the 200-220 sq. mile mark. Hence, it's a pretty standard size. Also, the city limits expanded only about 5 sq. miles in the last decade, the smallest rate of growth since the 1960s. The focus is no longer on annexation for growth, but rather on infill. Yet in that same time of slow city proper growth, the area still saw double-digit growth rates. So I'm not going to buy the sprawl argument, especially when both Cincinnati and Cleveland have tons of it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio