Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 136,856 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly new to prospecting. Been reading everything I can find on gold in Ohio and Eastern US. I visited Bearfoot Gold Mining camp this spring and learned how to use a highbanker. Found just one picker after 3 hours of digging in the creek. Wylie runs the place and it's rated high by The Travel Channel.
I'd love to look for gold in Ohio (since that is where I'm from). I spent a couple days digging around on Kelley's Island over the past couple months. Found nothing. Was excited because I read where they were finding gold in the sand long the shore on the mainland. Where would you suggest I look, in Ohio?
I bought 2 lbs of paydirt from a couple in Alaska. Wow! Lots of good sized flakes and a small nugget too big for my bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM

I saw something recently about how, as the water level in the Great Lakes goes down, people are finding gold in the sands along the shores of Lake Erie, in Ohio. We know that Lake Erie has lots of gold on the bottom of the lake from the melting of glaciers and we know the glacier went right across Kelley's Island because we've been going there for over 25 years and seen the glacial groves, so I spent a number of days gathering samples from the beach, from the quarry, and from the hiking paths beside the groves. I didn't find as much as a speck. However, there are areas in Ohio where there is tiny placier gold deposits. I just joined a group that does monthly common digs in Ohio. I'll let you know how that goes.
I'm going to Hendersonville, NC in October. Visiting family in a private gated community at the top of a mountain. The road, Edge of the World runs through there and it looks like a good place to look for gold in the streams. I've not found anything online about gold right in that area but I'm going to look, anyway. I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM

Default Buckeye Chapter of the GPAA

check out their website [url=http://www.buckeyegold.com]Buckeye Chapter of the GPAA[/url]. The do common digs in NE Ohio once a year for what they call Gold Rush Days. I'm thinking that if Clear Fork River, near Belleville, OH (10 miles north of Mohican State Park) has placer gold then perhaps the river that runs through Mohican may as well.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 44,865 times
my names eric from minerva ohio, even though my friends and family laughed at me for panning the minerva creek. i have about 25 grams i have gather over about 5 days,spread over 10 years. i plan on hitting it hard this year. minerva creek runs into the little sandy which runs into big sandy. i dont mind company but i call dibs on the s bend by pamida.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Eric,
I would suggest going to the Ohio room of the Salem library. Look for a book about the Sandy Beaver Canal. There is a bit of information about gold found in Sandy Creek along with gold found in both the West, and Middle forks of the Little Beaver Creek.

I have found small specs in Guilford Lake, and Beaver Creek State Park.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 88,669 times
Default New at gold mining in ohio need help

[SIZE=2]I need places and stuff help what to do
[/SIZE]

Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 88,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squach69 View Post
my names eric from minerva ohio, even though my friends and family laughed at me for panning the minerva creek. i have about 25 grams i have gather over about 5 days,spread over 10 years. i plan on hitting it hard this year. minerva creek runs into the little sandy which runs into big sandy. i dont mind company but i call dibs on the s bend by pamida.
when you going could u help me out i very new when you going

Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 44,118 times
Default Panning this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trials13 View Post
when you going could u help me out i very new when you going
There are a few absolute novices trying their hand at panning this weekend. Cincinnati area.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Don't waste your time in OH looking for gold, take a trip outside of Charlotte...
New gold rush in SC as mine plans to reopen - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 54,214 times
i have been prospecting around wayne county specifically around wooster and also towards fredricksburg above holmes county and there is most definitely gold in the area. biggest peices i have found have been at the largest a millimeter in size. i have however heard of pickers ( slang for pieces that are big enough to grab with your fingers) the size of matchheads. always looking for partners in the area to go prospecting with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio