Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 07:46 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Yeah it is definitely situational. Some of it will depend how you define sketchiness; for example I'd expect Youngstown to have the most vacant lots and properties, having experienced such a steep population loss. Of course the flip side of that is what makes it a great contender -- housing is now quite cheap!
I guess what I mean is: (and I'm getting off-topic, since the OP is interested in renting) if I were going to buy a $50k house, in Youngstown that could get me a decent little house--maybe a bit of a fixer--in a stable city neighborhood. Is that doable in the other cities you happened to list?

Quote:
I just saw the thread kind of zero-ing in on Youngstown as the answer, and wanted to pull back the conversation to point out there's no shortage of options throughout the state. Depending on the OP's industry and career aspirations, some other area may or may not make more sense.
This is totally fair, and you're right. There are a lot of good options for what the OP is looking for in Ohio. Youngstown is probably just the least expensive. Coming from a high cost of living area, depending on the OPs priorities, it might be like quibbling over pocket change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 10:55 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
The least expensive places in Ohio that I know of are Niles, Girard, and Warren (avoid Northwest) Also, parts of Youngstown.

You can find modest, safe apartments for less than $600. A few less than five. Check out Craigslist.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:50 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
Mansfield and Lima use to have lowest cost of living in US. Would not surprise if they are still about the cheapest.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:57 PM

78 posts, read 61,739 times
I will say that I'm not particularly aiming for city dwelling. I don't drive much, so if I did live in a city it would need good public transport. Night life, etc, isn't that important to me. My main hobby that I devote almost every waking moment to when I'm not working is writing. I like good food, but not enough to live in a city for, and right now I'm perfectly happy in a small suburban area. My only real requirements are that the area is safe and has access to good veterinary care (that may seem like it's not a big deal, but with the veterinary crisis right now I don't want to inadvertently move somewhere that doesn't have a local emergency room for vet care.) You've given me a lot to think about, and I sincerely thank you! It really is amazing how much difference location can make. It makes me feel much less hopeless.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Can you clarify your needs/preferences regarding not driving much?

Driving is a necessity in most, but not all, of Ohio, so your options change big time if you're trying to minimize or eliminate driving.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
I work remote, so I'll be making the same income in Ohio (I've already checked with my job that Ohio is one of the states we can work from). And I recognize that having roommates would make things easier, but I am very, very tired of being responsible in anyway, shape, or form for other people. I could stay where I am and pay virtually nothing in rent, but my only ambition is have a nice little place where I can just worry about me and not have to negotiate with other people. It's the whole point of moving.

Thank you, WRnative, for the information! That's very helpful.

You should check out Benton Village in Euclid. It used to be extremely affordable. It's on an RTA bus line, and retail is very nearby. Drive out to Shoregate shopping center east of Euclid. You can transfer from RTA buses to Laketran buses there, gaining access to the immense retail outlets on nearby Vine St. and in Mentor.

Benton Village also is a short walk from the excellent Sims Park, with a pier and lakefront trail, something a writer might enjoy.

Painesville probably offers the most affordable rents in central and eastern Lake County. You also might be able to buy a small house there for the cost of renting elsewhere.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:55 PM

40 posts, read 41,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Painesville probably offers the most affordable rents in central and eastern Lake County. You also might be able to buy a small house there for the cost of renting elsewhere.

I dunno, if all this development planned for Painesville comes to pass, I wonder how affordable it will be in the future --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmALjfN6y8

Old 03-12-2023, 03:49 PM

224 posts, read 164,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
American born people are absolutely fleeing the northeast, including/especially NJ. There have been a lot moving to Ohio actually.

https://njbia.org/federal-tax-data-r...-outmigration/

Ohio is a vastly preferable state to New Jersey for many, many reasons. New Jerseyans largely agree.

Fairly young NJ single guy here….. agree 1000%….. any labor shortage here is because the job doesn’t pay enough to afford rent here….. making about 55-60k between 2 jobs before taxes/pension contribution which kills paycheck…. Don’t even care about state income tax it’s the federal that can go Fu*k itself….. low end rent in north Jersey is 1400/1500$ with utilities as well and that is getting tougher to find probably going to increase to 1600 at the lowest for a one bedroom and not much cheaper for a studio. Houses easily are 350k and up now and in my county we are the top 5 highest property tax county IN THE COUNTRY…. Income taxes, highest property taxes, high sales tax, local government squeezes every penny out of you, tolls everywhere, high traffic everywhere towns and highways, inflation is hurting now…. I can’t do it anymore…. For what traffic, crappy beaches and foreigners/or NY money all moving here now? Absolutely at my breaking point but this whole country is ridiculous. Even making 70kish now I would barely feel “middle class” I had a friend tell me just move to a state with beautiful weather and with expensive COL but higher jobs and just get roommates… honestly almost better off in like SanDiego or something it’s so tough to rent anywhere alone anymore and still be able to save up…. And forget home ownership….. trying to avoid bad winters if possible but might reconsider Cleveland. Columbus is good invest area but I see changes are coming there and fast…. Cinci is in great location but jobs there are pretty bad imo and food scene sucks. I preferably would rather be in VA/NC but Ohio is one of the best values anywhere anymore…. I dream of moving “out west” someday but honestly kinda giving up on that.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:00 PM

224 posts, read 164,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So essentially your advice should not be universally-applied but is rather just you airing your grievance about a pet peeve? Thanks. That makes more sense now.

I moved from skipping meals making ~$50,000/year in Northern Virginia (uber-expensive) to making less money in a MUCH cheaper city (Pittsburgh) and have been IMMENSELY happier overall as a result. My dollar stretches SO much further up here. I only make $18/hr. here, but with an all-in housing payment of $378/month (less once my PMI falls off my mortgage) you can live very comfortably in a place like Pittsburgh or New Castle or Youngstown or Akron or Sharon or other "flyover places" supposedly nobody wants to dwell within, even if you're only making $15/hr.-$20/hr. (as MANY in this country who don't sit around playing bongo drums at home while updating software apps do).

I have limited patience on social media for my Millennial peers whining about struggling to survive in SF or Seattle or NYC or NoVA or Miami or wherever who then "haha" react any suggestion of uprooting and moving to a cheaper area where a nominally cheaper salary/wage will stretch MUCH farther. If the OP is making $16/hr. in NJ (uber-expensive) and will keep making $16/hr. in OH (dirt cheap), then why NOT move? Places like PA and OH are IMPLODING demographically because everyone of value is moving OUT, and the left behind bitter old Trumpers are just dying off.

Anyone who doesn't try to find the highest possible wage in the cheapest possible area to maximize their quality-of-life is a fool, in my opinion.

OP, look into the good/safe parts of Youngstown and/or a cheap suburb of Youngstown. Easy day-trips to Cleveland or Pittsburgh for sports, nightlife, culture, etc. DIRT cheap (cheaper than Pittsburgh, and it is pretty cheap to live over here already).

Yep, making 55k in NJ as a single person I’m “lower class” it is all NY money here now, oh and enough foreigners to take up a lot of jobs and keep wages lower…. Absolute lowest rent to not live in a bad area maybe like 1400$ but more likely 1500/1600$ now. Was big on Pittsburgh but might look into Ohio more as well. Would prefer NC/VA but honestly I think working in Pitt or an Ohio city is a better option.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:35 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,989 times
I have a friend that rents houses in the SW Akron / Kenmore / Barberton area for around $600 per month. It is definitely a working class area but it is generally safe as far as I can tell, I am pretty familiar with the area. He bought houses for $20k to $30k then fixed them up to livable standards for renting. He has about 8 of them, I believe they are all rented. Just want to give you an idea of market rates in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio