Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 12:38 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
... all of which correlates with the incomes in that market.
Can't get get blood from a turnip.

I wouldn't be surprised if wages in Greater Cleveland are comparable to many places in NJ, especially as there is a labor shortage in Greater Cleveland (but perhaps also in NJ). Anyway, I've provided the OP with an easy road map on how to compare housing affordability by community. Certainly, he also can investigate wages in any community given his job skills. WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM (do you work for a NJ government)?

Your turnip analogy doesn't apply. We're talking about apples and oranges.

Some more info, with Youngstown ranked 10th cheapest place to live by U.S. News & World Report in 2022-23. Cincinnati, very surprisingly (I'm doubtful) is 22nd on the list.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live

Last edited by WRnative; 01-14-2023 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 05:15 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if wages in Greater Cleveland are comparable to (perhaps)...
...with Youngstown ranked 10th cheapest place
Which is it that the OP is looking at? What sorts of work?
Quote:
WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM ...
Just a pet peeve.
People looking to relocate far away from everyone and everything they know...
desperately believing that their location is the problem they need to solve.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:57 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Quote:
Just a pet peeve.
People looking to relocate far away from everyone and everything they know...
desperately believing that their location is the problem they need to solve.

Good point, but the OP didn't mention this concern.

Sometimes, a new beginning away from family and friends is very beneficial. And cost of living and housing affordability certainly are major concerns and determinants of quality of life.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:03 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Is there any reason to believe they'll earn the same outside of the high wage NJ area?
Any way you slice it ... the 'live alone' thing is the real problem.
Yes, even in Ohio’s Rust Belt cities fast food is paying $12-15/hr because of lack of workers. Real estate is cheaper here because of a lack of demand (people dying or moving to the Sunbelt, low immigration) compared to a place like NJ (higher immigration, dense population, proximity to NYC & Phila). It will be a more ideal situation for OP.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:35 AM

11,066 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yes, even in Ohio’s Rust Belt cities fast food is paying $12-15/hr because of lack of workers. Real estate is cheaper here because of a lack of demand (people dying or moving to the Sunbelt, low immigration) compared to a place like NJ (higher immigration, dense population, proximity to NYC & Phila). It will be a more ideal situation for OP.
American born people are absolutely fleeing the northeast, including/especially NJ. There have been a lot moving to Ohio actually.

https://njbia.org/federal-tax-data-r...-outmigration/

Ohio is a vastly preferable state to New Jersey for many, many reasons. New Jerseyans largely agree.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:11 AM

78 posts, read 61,879 times
Quote:
Is there any reason to believe they'll earn the same outside of the high wage NJ area?
Any way you slice it ... the 'live alone' thing is the real problem.
I work remote, so I'll be making the same income in Ohio (I've already checked with my job that Ohio is one of the states we can work from). And I recognize that having roommates would make things easier, but I am very, very tired of being responsible in anyway, shape, or form for other people. I could stay where I am and pay virtually nothing in rent, but my only ambition is have a nice little place where I can just worry about me and not have to negotiate with other people. It's the whole point of moving.

Thank you, WRnative, for the information! That's very helpful.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:35 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Just a pet peeve. People looking to relocate far away from everyone and everything they know...desperately believing that their location is the problem they need to solve.
So essentially your advice should not be universally-applied but is rather just you airing your grievance about a pet peeve? Thanks. That makes more sense now.

I moved from skipping meals making ~$50,000/year in Northern Virginia (uber-expensive) to making less money in a MUCH cheaper city (Pittsburgh) and have been IMMENSELY happier overall as a result. My dollar stretches SO much further up here. I only make $18/hr. here, but with an all-in housing payment of $378/month (less once my PMI falls off my mortgage) you can live very comfortably in a place like Pittsburgh or New Castle or Youngstown or Akron or Sharon or other "flyover places" supposedly nobody wants to dwell within, even if you're only making $15/hr.-$20/hr. (as MANY in this country who don't sit around playing bongo drums at home while updating software apps do).

I have limited patience on social media for my Millennial peers whining about struggling to survive in SF or Seattle or NYC or NoVA or Miami or wherever who then "haha" react any suggestion of uprooting and moving to a cheaper area where a nominally cheaper salary/wage will stretch MUCH farther. If the OP is making $16/hr. in NJ (uber-expensive) and will keep making $16/hr. in OH (dirt cheap), then why NOT move? Places like PA and OH are IMPLODING demographically because everyone of value is moving OUT, and the left behind bitter old Trumpers are just dying off.

Anyone who doesn't try to find the highest possible wage in the cheapest possible area to maximize their quality-of-life is a fool, in my opinion.

OP, look into the good/safe parts of Youngstown and/or a cheap suburb of Youngstown. Easy day-trips to Cleveland or Pittsburgh for sports, nightlife, culture, etc. DIRT cheap (cheaper than Pittsburgh, and it is pretty cheap to live over here already).

Old 01-19-2023, 12:04 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
I don't want to argue against Youngstown, but I do want to point out that Akron, Toledo, and even parts of metro Cleveland are in the same ball park and may offer a bit more opportunities for upward career trajectory and aren't quite as economically depressed as Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley.

Additionally, Wheeling, WV is worth considering too. There's a lot of hidden character there.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:12 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I don't want to argue against Youngstown, but I do want to point out that Akron, Toledo, and even parts of metro Cleveland are in the same ball park and may offer a bit more opportunities for upward career trajectory and aren't quite as economically depressed as Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley.

Additionally, Wheeling, WV is worth considering too. There's a lot of hidden character there.
As with so many things, it depends. I haven't dug into the statistics, but I'd guess the neighborhoods in Akron, Toledo, or Cleveland that are equivalently priced to Youngstown neighborhoods, would be sketchier. I'm also not so sure upward career mobility would be limited. One of my former mentees recently started their own architecture practice, and I think they're still in their mid 30s. But again, it depends.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:29 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
As with so many things, it depends. I haven't dug into the statistics, but I'd guess the neighborhoods in Akron, Toledo, or Cleveland that are equivalently priced to Youngstown neighborhoods, would be sketchier. I'm also not so sure upward career mobility would be limited. One of my former mentees recently started their own architecture practice, and I think they're still in their mid 30s. But again, it depends.
Yeah it is definitely situational. Some of it will depend how you define sketchiness; for example I'd expect Youngstown to have the most vacant lots and properties, having experienced such a steep population loss. Of course the flip side of that is what makes it a great contender -- housing is now quite cheap!

I just saw the thread kind of zero-ing in on Youngstown as the answer, and wanted to pull back the conversation to point out there's no shortage of options throughout the state. Depending on the OP's industry and career aspirations, some other area may or may not make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio