Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 11:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
What happens when the wind isn't blowing or when the sun goes down?

How much electricity will a typical household use charging 2 or even 3 EVs?

Even if the U.S. went full solar, electric, and wind, what would the effect on the climate be?

Didn't Europe try a lot of this stuff during the Obama administration? Look how that turned out today: reliant on Russian energy...that will be shut off this winter which may not matter in the event there's a nuclear winter.

High energy prices will cost millions of lives and send another mass migration into the EU.

Storage capacity will be increased significantly in coming years. Perhaps used EV batteries will be used for electricity storage, or new technologies such as flow batteries.

https://www.hivepower.tech/blog/is-r...stainable-plan

https://www.zinc8energy.com/technology

EV batteries also may be used as home back-up power.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/11/gm-e...y-storage.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
stay strong and red ohio! We deplorable love it that way!!!

So you're proud to champion environmental calamity???

Old 10-14-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We rarely use public chargers and when we have it has been free convenience charging while shopping at local level 2 stations. In 6+ years I could count on one hand the number of times we have used fast charging stations and none of the stops took more than 20 minutes. Our charging is done almost solely at home.

Is the cost of your EV electricity much less than paying for gasoline? In some areas, EVs can be charged at discounted rates in non-peak hours with smart metering systems.

Most EVs are charged at home, which saves to cost and time needed to go to a recharging station, or a gas station for an internal combustion vehicle.

<<McKinsey & Co. expects demand for gasoline to fall to $79 billion by 2030 from $87 billion in 2019. Nonfuel retail sales at stations will rise by more than a third over the same period, to $30 billion, and EV-charging revenue will hit $20 billion by 2030, McKinsey predicts. But McKinsey expects about 80% of charging to be done at home or the office, leaving Shell and other gas station operators to tussle over the remaining 20%.>>

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

Old 10-14-2022, 12:54 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
So you're proud to champion environmental calamity???
I'm proud of freedom and liberty.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I'm proud of freedom and liberty.

Almost all Americans are proud of freedom and liberty, and most Americans respect those values by seeking the truth and not spreading falsehoods, especially when doing so threatens efforts to avert a crisis that actually threatens our freedom and liberty.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Almost all Americans are proud of freedom and liberty, and most Americans respect those values by seeking the truth and not spreading falsehoods, especially when doing so threatens efforts to avert a crisis that actually threatens our freedom and liberty.
That's why I don't trust any and all lies that comes out of the present establishments mouths. It's all about the green money to them and how much they want to take from workers and hand out to the lazy. It's their (Green New Deal)

Old 10-14-2022, 07:47 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Is the cost of your EV electricity much less than paying for gasoline? In some areas, EVs can be charged at discounted rates in non-peak hours with smart metering systems.

Most EVs are charged at home, which saves to cost and time needed to go to a recharging station, or a gas station for an internal combustion vehicle.

<<McKinsey & Co. expects demand for gasoline to fall to $79 billion by 2030 from $87 billion in 2019. Nonfuel retail sales at stations will rise by more than a third over the same period, to $30 billion, and EV-charging revenue will hit $20 billion by 2030, McKinsey predicts. But McKinsey expects about 80% of charging to be done at home or the office, leaving Shell and other gas station operators to tussle over the remaining 20%.>>

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall
Any increase in our electric bill has been small. We haven't noticed it really. I have never actually figured the cost but we had our Bolt plugged in last weekend and just now plugged it in tonight after getting home from going out to dinner. It still had ~180 miles of range left.

I tell people it takes about 4 seconds to charge. 2 seconds to plug it in and 2 seconds to unplug it when we go to leave.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:36 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Quote:
Can you document your claims about tire wear? Why would EVs wear out tires more rapidly than gasoline-powered vehicles?
An EV is a lot heavier than a gasoline powered car and that makes tires wear out faster, the Mitsubishi Mirage only weighs 1800 pounds, the heaviest Tesla weighs more than my dad’s old 1977 Chrysler New Yorker land yacht that had a 440 max wedge under the hood, the car I have now is under 3000 pounds.

Attached Thumbnails
No EV Mandate!-fbe7f7de-2801-46ab-a131-dc37d180a8b3.jpeg  

Old 10-15-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
An EV is a lot heavier than a gasoline powered car and that makes tires wear out faster, the Mitsubishi Mirage only weighs 1800 pounds, the heaviest Tesla weighs more than my dad’s old 1977 Chrysler New Yorker land yacht that had a 440 max wedge under the hood, the car I have now is under 3000 pounds.
If people want to own and drive their EV, then fine. But don't sit there and interfere in my life and tell me what I have to own and drive.
Besides, where do they think electricity comes from, "fairy-f@rts". It comes from fossil fuel power plants and nuclear power plants. And look at all the plants it takes to make them and the equipment and supplies it took to make those plants. A Unicorn didn't pull all that out of their butts to make them. Get a life and stay in your own backyard and stay out of ours.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

I never knew that EVs weighed more. If lightweight zinc oxide batteries are adopted, this weight differential should decrease significantly.

Whatever an EV owner pays extra due to increased tire wear, likely will be much more than offset by the much greater efficiency of EVs and their lower operating costs.

A key consideration is when the price of EV vehicles will become comparable to gasoline-powered vehicles. This may happen rapidly if the cost of batteries fall and as EVs gain economies of scale in manufacturing.

Regardless, the costs of climate change on society greatly outweigh any cost of transitioning to EVs.

Promoters of fossil fuel seem oblivious to increasing impairment of the nation's food supplies and the reality that large areas of the country will soon become less livable, even unlivable, due to rising ocean levels, wildfires, even atmospheric heat levels. They have no concern for rising sea levels, the destruction of the beauty of our national parks, or degradation of marine fisheries and marine life doe to ocean acidification. They seem indifferent to the monstrous costs of natural disaster recovery, which especially is diverting significant resources away from Ohio to more disaster-prone states such as Florida and Texas.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-15-2022 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio