Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 06:47 AM

469 posts, read 432,450 times

Advertisements

Wow, as of today (Tues) there are nose bleed seats available for OSU vs. Akron for $36 (plus fees) on Ticketmaster. Obviously there are more expensive options for better seating.

I’m not sure if this is typical, but at these prices, hopefully we won’t see a repeat of the Tulsa game as far as attendance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 08:17 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Wow, as of today (Tues) there are nose bleed seats available for OSU vs. Akron for $36 (plus fees) on Ticketmaster. Obviously there are more expensive options for better seating.

I’m not sure if this is typical, but at these prices, hopefully we won’t see a repeat of the Tulsa game as far as attendance.
I hate to say this, but nobody is interested in Akron and to be honest, people aren't really interested in the Buckeyes either. They have struggled in 3/3 games so far. Painful.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:48 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post

Yeah, it doesn't look like the game will be sold out. At the beginning of the season, the cheapest seats offered the public for the Akron game were $66.

Looking at "best seats" on Ticketmaster, however, IMO there were some real bargains for $60-70 before fees. The game itself for Buckeye fans should be interesting, as, hopefully, the back-up quarterbacks will see their first action ever at the collegiate level, including perhaps even Quinn Ewers, the highest rated recruit in Ohio State history. And there is quadruple Script Ohio with the alumni band performing. I consider the total package an entertainment steal for a football fan.

Unless demand for Buckeye/NCAA football tickets remains suppressed post-COVID in 2022 and beyond, this is a real opportunity to see Ohio Stadium and a Buckeye football game on the cheap.

Buckeye football rituals, inclusive of the Skull Session, are arguably the best in the country, perhaps the best in the nation.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I hate to say this, but nobody is interested in Akron and to be honest, people aren't really interested in the Buckeyes either. They have struggled in 3/3 games so far. Painful.
Given the coverage of Ohio State football on local Cleveland TV stations, I'm not alone in still being very interested in Ohio State football. Most Ohio State football fans remember the 2014 season, when Ohio State won the national championship despite an early season loss to Virginia Tech.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/footba...otball-season/

In 2014, Ezekiel Elliot lead an overwhelming Buckeye rushing attack. Similarly, freshman TreVeyon Henderson seems likely to anchor a powerful rushing attack this season. Even if 2021 is a dud season, 2022 seems primed to be a legendary season, with QB Quinn Ewers and Henderson perhaps leading the offense.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/20...otball-honors/

Apart from Ohio State, the rest of the Big Ten, especially the Big Ten East, have dominated non-conference opponents. IF Ohio State can resolve its many problems and sweep the Big Ten again, its success against its highly ranked Big Ten opponents should provide a good opportunity for a bid to the national playoffs, especially given its victory over Clemson and Trevor Lawrence in this past year's championship series. Iowa and Penn State are ranked 5 and 6 in the AP poll. Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan State also are ranked in the top 20.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...wing-tulsa-win

Ohio State football fans have followed the team even through poor seasons, such as immediately before the hiring of Urban Meyer as head coach. Given the highly ranked Big Ten East teams, this may be the most exciting Big Ten season in several years. Even undefeated, but unranked Maryland has an impressive victory over West Virginia to its credit this season.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afield View Post
People are clearly interested in the Buckeyes. Not me so much, but they are a top program.

Akron is not on that level, though it doesn't mean that watching Akron or similar MAC teams etc isn't fun or good football.
They have performed very poorly. 20k people had tickets on Saturday that simply didn't show up.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afield View Post
Well, one game vs years?
Very hard to be excited about the Buckeyes struggling against Minnesota, Oregon, and Tulsa. Especially when the Browns have such loft expectations. I'm definitely taking this year off from OSU. I'm an alum as well and have been to probably 30 games in my life. This isn't the year.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
This isn't the year.
Famous last words?

Ohio State still has more raw talent than any other team in the Big Ten. While defensive coaching is an issue, the same coaches defeated Clemson last year. A more important issue perhaps is inexperience behind the defensive line, and at the QB and running back positions. The running backs appear to have turned the corner. The loss of the Buckeye starting free safety for the season due to injury also was a big blow.

Undefeated Rutgers travels to Michigan this week, then hosts Ohio State next week. We'll know much more after these two games, although a key Rutgers defender was arrested and suspended for evidently assaulting someone with a paintball gun. The player surely will sit out the Michigan game, but it will be interesting to see if he is activated for the Ohio State game, although that would seem unlikely unless the player pleads innocent and has a good defense.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2021/9/21...g-greg-schiano

BTW, I suspect Ohio State's game day attendance will soar with better opponents and with COVID third doses. Given Minnesota's rout of the Colorado team that almost defeated Texas A&M, and Ohio State's win over the Gophers on the road in the first game of the season, this is still a very talented and capable Ohio State team.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Famous last words?

Ohio State still has more raw talent than any other team in the Big Ten. While defensive coaching is an issue, the same coaches defeated Clemson last year. A more important issue perhaps is inexperience behind the defensive line, and at the QB and running back positions. The running backs appear to have turned the corner. The loss of the Buckeye starting free safety for the season due to injury also was a big blow.

Undefeated Rutgers travels to Michigan this week, then hosts Ohio State next week. We'll know much more after these two games, although a key Rutgers defender was arrested and suspended for evidently assaulting someone with a paintball gun. The player surely will sit out the Michigan game, but it will be interesting to see if he is activated for the Ohio State game, although that would seem unlikely unless the player pleads innocent and has a good defense.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2021/9/21...g-greg-schiano

BTW, I suspect Ohio State's game day attendance will soar with better opponents and with COVID third doses. Given Minnesota's rout of the Colorado team that almost defeated Texas A&M, and Ohio State's win over the Gophers on the road in the first game of the season, this is still a very talented and capable Ohio State team.
Attendance for the Penn State game and others will absolutely be higher than Tulsa. But even struggling to sell out Oregon I think is a sign. At the end of the day, going to an OSU game is an entire day out of your life. Right now I just don't see much reason to wake up at 6, drive to Columbus, park far away, go through all the crowds and traffic before and after the games etc etc.

Tbh I'm more interested in seeing how Cincinnati does this year. They have been much more impressive so far.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Tbh I'm more interested in seeing how Cincinnati does this year. They have been much more impressive so far.
Cincinnati struggled with Indiana, the apparent doormat of the Big Ten East this year. Let's see how both Wisconsin and Cincinnati fare against Notre Dame and then we can make comparisons. Until bowl season, ND likely is the only ranked team that Cincinnati will face this year -- not very exciting schedule. Apart from ND, I'll have no interest in any of their games.

I doubt that Cincinnati's ranking higher than Notre Dame and Ohio State in the NCAA polls is justified, and I watched large parts of the Indiana game.

BTW, Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium has a capacity of 37,000. I didn't check to see if they sell out all games.

https://gobearcats.com/facilities/ni...ege%20football.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:38 AM

Default Attendance rebounds to over 95,000 for Akron game

<<After shockingly low attendance at last week’s game, a total of 95,178 fans came out for Ohio State’s football showdown against Akron Saturday night.

While that attendance number is not record-breaking for the stadium, it is a stark difference from last week’s audience of 76,540.>>

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-new...or-akron-game/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio