Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 06:11 AM

811 posts, read 887,893 times

Advertisements

Among the many States and Cities I have lived and travelled, I have picked up on the local and regional culture of the area. When I say Culture, I don't mean things like Museums, restaurants, etc., rather the local cohesiveness of an area that brings people together.

For example, in Kentucky, SEC Football and Basketball, Horse racing/breeding and general rural culture connect folks in Paducah to people in Pikeville even though the two places are so different. Even the cities of Lexington and Louisville feel connected to rural Kentucky. I have also seen this in places like Tennessee and Arkansas, Alabama and Florida (Jax).

What do Ohioans feel connects each other together in this State? I get the sense there is a lot of competition among the three C's and that many folks in Northern Ohio don't feel connected to Cincinnati and vice versa.

Is Ohio too regionally different to have a cohesive culture that someone can pinpoint and say, "That's Ohio".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 06:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 434,891 times
IF there is anything, it would be Ohio State (college) sports. Columbus is very near
to the geographical center of the state, so it is within 3 or 4 hours travel from the border Counties. It intersects 2 major Interstates, 71 and 70, so one is able to see many attractions and sites, but culturally, I would say the Amish country portions of the state seem to be the only one unified notable recognized region.

Of course, Ohio has a host of uncountable tourists sites. Among them, five U.S. President's are buried in Ohio.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:41 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
There really isn't a unified "Ohio" culture. One region to another, the state is very different. This map is geographical, but I think it more or less represents the cultural regions as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio#/...gions_ohio.svg

I think Ohio is the state most representative of America as a whole as a microcosm.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There really isn't a unified "Ohio" culture. One region to another, the state is very different. This map is geographical, but I think it more or less represents the cultural regions as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio#/...gions_ohio.svg

I think Ohio is the state most representative of America as a whole as a microcosm.
I have often wondered if Ohio's borders touching different regions has something to do with it not being culturally unified (PA for Northeast, WV and KY for South/Appalachia and IN for 100% Midwest).

Ohio also seems unique in that Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati are relatively the same size. Most States have one large city and other Mid-Sized cities. Georgia has Atlanta...Michigan has Detroit...Indiana has Indy...etc.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:05 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I have often wondered if Ohio's borders touching different regions has something to do with it not being culturally unified (PA for Northeast, WV and KY for South/Appalachia and IN for 100% Midwest).

Ohio also seems unique in that Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati are relatively the same size. Most States have one large city and other Mid-Sized cities. Georgia has Atlanta...Michigan has Detroit...Indiana has Indy...etc.
I think having those three cities is definitely unique, they are really the capitals of their regions. And then Ohio has relatively large secondary cities as well, such as Akron, Dayton, Toledo, and Youngstown.

Just in my opinion, but northwest PA and lots of upstate NY feel a lot more like they could be right outside Cleveland than Columbus or Cincinnati. From Columbus to Indianapolis all feels kinda similar though. Cincinnati kinda feels like it would make a good capital of Kentucky!

Old 12-02-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think having those three cities is definitely unique, they are really the capitals of their regions. And then Ohio has relatively large secondary cities as well, such as Akron, Dayton, Toledo, and Youngstown.

Just in my opinion, but northwest PA and lots of upstate NY feel a lot more like they could be right outside Cleveland than Columbus or Cincinnati. From Columbus to Indianapolis all feels kinda similar though. Cincinnati kinda feels like it would make a good capital of Kentucky!
Yes, I agree that Cincinnati is really a Kentucky city, very similar to Louisville, even if the residents of Cincinnati hate to be compared with Kentucky.

Columbus is quintessential Midwest to me, but with a Sunbelt vibe to it.

Cleveland has always been hard for me to categorize into a region...is it Midwest, Northeast, some sort of Combination or a new entire region such as Great Lakes? Who knows.

But I still wonder what makes Ohio, well, Ohio? What do outsiders see as a common theme to the Buckeye State, or what stereotypes exist.

I think the one Poster's idea of Ohio State football being a good one, but only for Sports enthusiasts.

Ohio also doesn't have a well known food dish or beverage that all Ohioans can get behind...sure Cincinnati has their Chili, but outside of that region, it's not very popular.

Maybe Ohio should steal the moniker, "Crossroads of America" from Indiana, since we seem to have a lot of overlap in culture here.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Ohio is the one state west of the Appalachians that has, in my mind, a close connection to the early English/colonial settlement of the US that one normally associates with the Northeast.

This is reflected in the oldest architecture and cultural settlement of the region such as the Western Reserve, Quakers and Shakers, and the initial settlement of Hessians (Germans) who were veterans of the Revolutionary and Indian wars.

These influences can be seen especially in the Cleveland area and making a wide arc along the Ohio river all the way to the Cincinnati area. Some famous Revolutionary War veterans, such as Gen. Anthony Wayne, who is often associated with Revolutionary War activities in New York, were instrumental in opening up the southwestern corner of the state around Hamilton and Butler counties.

This period brought in settlers, mainly of English and Scottish stock who founded many Ohio towns and cities in the late 1700s through the early 19th century as well as the Hessian settlers. Then, in the early 19th century, a huge wave of German immigrants flocked in, most of whom tilled the soil and brewed beer, laying the foundation for what would become the prototype for the cultural backbone of the rest of the Midwest. This period lasted through the 19th century and many of Ohio's food and drink customs, as well as some linguistic and other cultural influence can be attributed to this migration into the state.

In the 20th century, industrialization (spurred by developmental investments to assist the manufacturing wing of the war efforts) brought an economic boom that helped Ohio develop its educational and cosmopolitan growth, probably the peak of the state's status. To drive this boom, thousands of rural residents of Kentucky and Tennessee migrated into Ohio to work in factories and mills giving the "Southern" flavor that many consider to dominate the culture of southern Ohio.

Personally I think that is a bit overstated, though it is definitely an important subculture and cultural influence, but it hasn't replaced the pre-existing midwestern culture, in my experience. Rather I think it just stands out to outsiders above the more sedate and familiar culture of Anglo-Germanic Americana that the region was founded on.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
The closest thing Ohio has for a unified culture is the people in it complaining about Ohio. Otherwise, the Cleveland area is foundational and by far the most cosmopolitan, the Columbus area has the most "new city" cookie cutter feel, while Cincinnati has the most "new Southern" feel to it - not quite progressive, not totally redneck (think Nashville). This is largely why there is no real unified culture. That's not necessarily a bad thing either. I would say the ethnic thread that runs through all three regions is German/Eastern European. So, if you're looking for a unifying food trend, start with the superfecta of schnitzel, spaetzle, sauerkraut and sausage with a healthy dose of brown mustard.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:45 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Maybe Ohio should steal the moniker, "Crossroads of America" from Indiana, since we seem to have a lot of overlap in culture here.
In a way it has, as U.S. Route 40, the (Old National Road), runs through both.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ohio is the one state west of the Appalachians that has, in my mind, a close connection to the early English/colonial settlement of the US that one normally associates with the Northeast.

This is reflected in the oldest architecture and cultural settlement of the region such as the Western Reserve, Quakers and Shakers, and the initial settlement of Hessians (Germans) who were veterans of the Revolutionary and Indian wars.

These influences can be seen especially in the Cleveland area and making a wide arc along the Ohio river all the way to the Cincinnati area. Some famous Revolutionary War veterans, such as Gen. Anthony Wayne, who is often associated with Revolutionary War activities in New York, were instrumental in opening up the southwestern corner of the state around Hamilton and Butler counties.

This period brought in settlers, mainly of English and Scottish stock who founded many Ohio towns and cities in the late 1700s through the early 19th century as well as the Hessian settlers. Then, in the early 19th century, a huge wave of German immigrants flocked in, most of whom tilled the soil and brewed beer, laying the foundation for what would become the prototype for the cultural backbone of the rest of the Midwest. This period lasted through the 19th century and many of Ohio's food and drink customs, as well as some linguistic and other cultural influence can be attributed to this migration into the state.

In the 20th century, industrialization (spurred by developmental investments to assist the manufacturing wing of the war efforts) brought an economic boom that helped Ohio develop its educational and cosmopolitan growth, probably the peak of the state's status. To drive this boom, thousands of rural residents of Kentucky and Tennessee migrated into Ohio to work in factories and mills giving the "Southern" flavor that many consider to dominate the culture of southern Ohio.

Personally I think that is a bit overstated, though it is definitely an important subculture and cultural influence, but it hasn't replaced the pre-existing midwestern culture, in my experience. Rather I think it just stands out to outsiders above the more sedate and familiar culture of Anglo-Germanic Americana that the region was founded on.
This is a lot of great information! As I read it, all that I kept thinking was how much knowledge and people Ohio has produced from Presidents to Astronauts, to technology such as flight. Certainly Ohio was an industrial and economic powerhouse in the last century.

I wonder what would bring all Ohioans together? I think the industrial past of our cities certainly played a role in this and is seen in the blue collar fabric of the cities, minus Columbus, and the large role Labor Unions played in the State from Dayton to Youngstown up to Cleveland.

These days the industrial blue collar vibe seems to be muted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio