Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 11:04 AM

811 posts, read 889,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
When I think of Ohio culture I always think of the Ohio Grandma driving the farm truck a hundred miles per hour on the farm to market roads into town and back to pick up supplies. Just a mental image that has stuck with me after being passed a few times.
This is funny to me cause Ohio drivers are among the slowest in the Interstate and they never move out of the passing lane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 01:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
I lived in Indiana, about 30 miles from the Ohio border, we'd go to Ohio every now and then. Things I remember about Ohio:

I remember several Sunday afternoons going to El Dora Speedway near Rossburg. There was always lots of people there. And they had some pretty good races, that I can remember.

Back then, you had to be 21 to buy beer in Indiana and in Ohio you only had to be 18 years old to buy beer. A few Saturday night when I was in 12th grade we'd go to a bar Greenville and drink watered down 3.2 beer. I forget the name of it, maybe the Triangle rings a bell.

We went to the zoo in Cincinatti a couple of times, went a Reds game at least twice at Crosley Field and once to Riverfront, soon after it was built.

I remember going to Lake St Mary's or Grand Lake near Celina a coulple of times.

Went to LeSeurdsville once, and King's Island once. I preferred LeSeurdsville.

Ohio had a lot more going on than Indiana. In Indiana the main culture that everybody seemed to take part in was high school basketball, and for most of the time I lived Indiana, HS basketball was way more popular than any other sport. It was like the only game in town.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:36 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Back then, you had to be 21 to buy beer in Indiana and in Ohio you only had to be 18 years old to buy beer. A few Saturday night when I was in 12th grade we'd go to a bar Greenville and drink watered down 3.2 beer. I forget the name of it, maybe the Triangle rings a bell.
There were a few names for it, but generally it was called "Low-Power" beer. The tops of the bottles/cans were RED to distinguish them from the 6% beer.

The wierd thing was, at 18 you could purchase 3.2 % alchohol.

You had to be 19 to purchase 6.0 % beer.

Then you had to be 21 to purchase wine, whiskey, wild-I, etc.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
Ohio culture....

Sweatpants and square pizza....am I right?

OH!!!! and drive thru liquor stores.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:26 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Ohio culture....

Hardly. Where I live, pizza is round, delicious, and abundant. I have not noticed sweatpants here more than any other place. Drive-thru liquor stores? Never noticed one. Not in my part of OH.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:21 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Ohio culture....

No square pizza here either unless we talking a sheet pizza.
Columbus has more square pizza from my experience visiting there.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
No square pizza here either unless we talking a sheet pizza.
Columbus has more square pizza from my experience visiting there.
I have not noticed square pizza being an Ohio thing, either...maybe I am missing something. I do, however, recommend trying Jets Detroit style pizza which is a chain in Ohio and other states that is famously in a square.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hardly. Where I live, pizza is round, delicious, and abundant. I have not noticed sweatpants here more than any other place. Drive-thru liquor stores? Never noticed one. Not in my part of OH.
Drive thru liquor stores is a weird thing commonly found in Ohio. I have never seen one in other States but they are apparently legal in 30 states. I have heard non-residents comment about these drive thru stores in Ohio, so apparently they must be rare in some areas of the country.

It’s odd that it is even allowed as why would people be allowed to purchase alcohol, even in unopened containers or boxes, and be behind a steering wheel of a car. :

Old 12-14-2020, 04:38 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post

It’s odd that it is even allowed as why would people be allowed to purchase alcohol, even in unopened containers or boxes, and be behind a steering wheel of a car. :
How is that different compared to buying beer in a grocery store and driving it home?

Old 12-14-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
How is that different compared to buying beer in a grocery store and driving it home?
Obviously if someone wants to drink alcohol while driving they will, regardless of how they purchase it...You don't see the possible issue with handing someone a bottle of alcohol while they are actively engaged in the act of driving a vehicle?

There is a reason drive through liquor stores are illegal in 20 states. But after some research, apparently drive through liquor is not an Ohio exclusive thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio