Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:37 PM

79 posts, read 260,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Ashtabula (current),
(past ->) Cincinnati, Mentor, Cleveland, Newbury, Stongsville, Painesville.

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:I left cause I thought there would be better.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: I have lived in Las Vegas (Never again!) Cheyenne, WY.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: None

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: I just moved back!

6) Anything else you want to say? Most of this doesn't apply to me. I always come back to Ohio and this time I bought a house so I am here to stay for the long term!
It said I had to have 10 characters. (Read above for my answers.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 01:31 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,836 times
Preface, I love Ohio, & want to come back. =)

1) Current or former Ohio location: Born in Barberton, Ohio, lived my entire life until Jan 07 in or just outside Akron, OH. =)

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Left for DH's work. I was okay w/ it, but want to come home. =*)

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Moved to a burb of SLC, UT for DH's work.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Not really applicable, I want to come back home. =)

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: I'm gone, but missing it. =*)

6) Anything else you want to say? Utah is beautiful, &, yes, is sunny, & the scenery is great, the skiing, hiking, all is great, but, I just miss home.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:37 AM

50 posts, read 109,646 times
1) Current or former Ohio location: Lived in Willard, Toledo (during college) and currently Mansfield

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Weather, economy, rude people, general overall depressing atmosphere, and police arrest everyone for anything (nothing better for them to do in small town, please people if you are putting a cart away at a store, don't leave your kids in a car for a minute, they will arrest you in this area. No law, so it doesn't matter if it's a 10 year old and it is not hot).

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: I've lived in Portland, OR, Peoria, IL (only for hubby's engineering internships) and Los Gatos, CA. We ARE moving back to Los Gatos, CA in June. The only reason we left was because the average 1500 sq foot home is about $800K in LG. However with the things that have happened to us in OH, we would rather rent forever if necessary than endure these again.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: I would move to San Luis Obispo, CA or even Portland, OR again. Heck, as long as it isn't the midwest (I hate tornados!)

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: We are waiting for our son's school year to be completed in June!

6) Anything else you want to say? We are thrilled to soon be immersed in the sunshine again and people who are laidback, yet hardworking (I never saw more dedicated people in my life who are willing to do what it takes to get the job done and actually take great pride in their work and CARE about the welfare of their company/employer, not merely attempting to 'get by'.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 19,873 times
Ohio is a 21st century urbanized state that seems to think it's a 19th century rural state. The state promotes itself with images of hillbilly farmers out in the country and Amish people. It has no interest in trying to grow or improve itself, only to complain about change and the loss of redundant jobs. The state needs a major wake up call, but I only have one life to live and I don't want to waste it in Ohio.
AMEN

Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 AM

Sioux Falls!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:50 AM

Default east liverpool

i wasted too much money on a college education in ohio. i found no work in the field of study, so i stuck with what i know. finally said **** it and moved out west. i spent one week looking for work and actualy had to many interviews.nobody wants to pay what your worth. i spent five years on a job while watching younger associats pass me me up on the pay scale.much happier out here.sioux falls RULES! OHIO SUCKS!lived in ohio all of my years except 4 years in north dakota while in the service. DONT BLAME ohio BLAME YOUR SELF. its all what youre capable of. enough ranting!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM

41 posts, read 119,659 times
Quote:
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Toledo

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Husband found a job in NC that can support our family w/o me having to work. Economy & weather here bite. Also the mayor is not my favorite & I think the city is going downhill fast.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: North Carolina. Beaches, the ocean, southern hospitality. Better economy and lower crime. Great schools.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: South Carolina, Georgia

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: Getting the money together for renting a truck, have to rent our home out in a month and a half

6) Anything else you want to say? I think the suburbs of Toledo are ok, Maumee and Perrysburg are very nice, except most of the people are a little snobby. Toledo is high crime, no one takes anything seriously as far as improving the community. The inner city areas are quickly invading the rest of Toledo. Also the Mayor is not the greatest.
MrsMaggiesMom

Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,848,567 times
Quote:
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Columbus, OH

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: My family had left Ohio for the most part, and I was looking to live somewhere with a big city vibe, better weather, and coastal.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Los Angeles. Able to get the big city vibe here, have the ocean and mountains, family in the area.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Ft Lauderdale, back to Columbus!

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: Nothing.

6) Anything else you want to say? Ohio is a terrific place, but has a lot of natural disadvantages with the weather and boring topography. I've also found the job market for professionals to be much better in LA. Housing is flat out cheap in Ohio compared to California! I wish prices were a little more reasonable out here.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 PM

40 posts, read 153,821 times
Quote:

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Cincinnati,Oh

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: I hate it here. There's nothing here, no jobs, the residents suck. Everything about this state is a## backwards. There's nothing to do, and there is no oppurtunity for a 23 y/o college grad like myself.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Philadelphia, D.C. somewhere on the east. I have yet to make a decision, just NOT Ohio.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
trying to get money to move

6) Anything else you want to say?
I'm leaving as soon as I can..The only decent thing about Ohio is the 4 seasons which I like ,but I'll have to get that elsewhere..

Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 PM

40 posts, read 153,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
If the world was ending today I would stay in Ohio because we still have 20 more years of life left (thats how far behind we are). The weather stucks, people that I know or meet hate to go on vacations...only thing everyone wants to do is eat or throw a party where they eat. After 5pm here in Cinti there is nothing to do. Never met so many uneducated and undereducated people. VERY CLOSEDMINDED to people who are different. JMO
couldn't have said it better..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio