Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:11 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,981,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Slick View Post
You are just a prohibitionist or unwilling to understand that there will never be a situation where you can grow, possess, sell, anything you want without restriction. The Man will never allow it. And it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway.

"home growers who grow because they enjoy the process are not going to limit themselves to four flowering plants. Which will lead to people refusing to buy licenses and growing anyway, leading to arrest, fines, possible jail time." ..... in other words it will be just like it is now for some folks. Or am I missing something and could be growing my own already without fear of be arrested?

" ....Marijuana will be legalized in Ohio eventually ..." ....... I've been waiting for over 45 years for it to be legal. I am tired of waiting.
No, I'm not a prohibitionist, that's a silly statement. Why would there "...never be a situation where you can grow, possess, sell, anything you want without restriction", if we know it will undoubtedly make its way back on the ballot with improved language for home growers? "The Man" wont have a choice if voters approve it, but we have to wait for the right language to be included in a ballot issue. "And it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway." Ohhhh, really? Hmmm, sounds like you are connected to someone who wants to monopolize growing and the huge profits the few will receive. Either its a good idea to let people grow and use marijuana or its not.

As for your 2nd paragraph I don't understand why people would want to pass something that would still set citizens up for being arrested for growing because they don't have a growing license, have too many plants, or are refused a license for some nefarious reason.

I completely understand why you feel tired of waiting, believe it or not I am too, and the so-called war on drugs was based on a complete lack of knowledge and consideration by people of Reagan's generation and even my mother's generation when it came to cannabis. Those same people drank alcohol, even joked about it, which I consider far worse than marijuana. Many people die of alcohol poisoning every year, yet we never hear of that with marijuana. However, just because we are tired of waiting we shouldn't jump at the first issue on the ballot that gives us the right to grow and/or use. Once it's Ohio law it'll be extremely difficult to change. Much longer than simply waiting a year for a much better option on the ballot. I don't recall which group it was, but a spokesman for them said they are planning on getting it on the ballot next year. The deep pocket out of state players this time around beat them to the punch, but lets not give in before its done right.

Anyway, I'm voting against it for reasons I stated, and I'm going to encourage my senior citizen parents to vote against it as well. They'll vote against it for different reasons than I but that's irrelevant, it'll have the same affect. Have a feeling the voters will approve outlawing monopolies, but Issue 3 is a toss up from what I can tell. Unfortunately, I know that voters don't check into things deep enough and analyze the language before voting. At least not the majority of them. Too busy. Yeah, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 06:26 AM

Before voting I suggest people read the information at LegalizeOhio2016.org first. They changed their name from Ohioans to End Prohibition. https://legalizeohio2016.org/ Their amendment would be on the ballot in 2016, and would take affect in January, 2017 if approved.

While they still don't go as far as I would regarding home growing, it does allow for growing without a license up to 6 plants for one person, or up to 12 plants if there are two adults in the residence. And there is no limit to how much finished product you can have at home as long as it is home grown (I'm assuming that you grew yourself, not from a friend, for instance).

Unlike the current amendment on the ballot, this one in 2016 will also allow farmers to grow hemp to use in products (not the type for getting high but the type for making clothes, etc.).

This solves two issues I have, the need for getting a license (which means having my name in a database as someone ignoring Federal law), and the limit of finished product of home grown a citizen could have in their possession. Limiting home growers to 6 plants is weak, but I could live with that since finished product will not be limited. A person could just grow their plants larger (delay flowering until the plants are large, then force flower at the appropriate time to get a very nice yield).

There will be fines for people caught in possession above a certain amount outside the home, and I'm not crazy about that but its not a deal breaker for me.

The website I linked to has a downloadable petition to circulate. You cannot sign your own petition, but the site gives locations where you can go to sign one.

Again, I urge voters to vote no on Issue 3, and wait for the one coming in 2016. I believe voters will pass Issue 2 meaning if Issue 3 passes also it will either be invalidated or tied up in the courts for who knows how long. Waiting for the amendment in 2016 to pass legalization could actually allow citizens to grow/buy and use SOONER than passing Issue 3 on November 3rd. And they would not be required to buy a license, have their names in a database for violating Federal law as growers, or be severely restricted in how much finished product of their own home grown they could have.

If we're going to get behind passing an amendment legalizing cannabis, lets do it right. Issue 3 is not worthy.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:02 PM

80 posts, read 67,519 times
What's different about it from the other amendments that failed to ever get on the ballot that's going to make this one successful?

Old 09-20-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sruckus View Post
What's different about it from the other amendments that failed to ever get on the ballot that's going to make this one successful?
If you are talking about the one LegalizeOhio2016 is behind they seem to be on track so far. Guess you'd have to ask their organizers to get a better idea, I can only comment on what I've read. It looks like a much better amendment than the one on November's ballot.

Even if there wasn't another one being pushed to be on the ballot in 2016 I still couldn't vote for the current one. It's that bad.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:06 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture View Post
Let's not forget that legal weed will

- help repair the rust belt economy, through taxes
- stop flight from ohio, by providing a few more jobs and business opportunities
- make the the place more attractive to investors/employers (see above)
- make the place more livable (certainly for me )

I don't think it's a coincidence that places like denver are booming economically and seeing an influx of people since they had the wherewithal to legalize weed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=denver+economy+booming

It may not be THE factor behind Denver's boom, but it's one factor.

Now, regarding the fact that people already smoke weed -- you're right! So --
  • let's make it safer by regulating it
  • let's take the profit OUT of the hands of criminal gangs
  • let's put the profit INTO the hands of legitimate business people
  • let's make it contribute to our TAX BASE

Plus -- let's not discount this: (mounting the soapbox):

Weed is SYMBOLIC of a larger issue. Most of our citizens say it should be legal, yet it's not. Since it's relatively harmless, the gubmint has NO BUSINESS penalizing people who grow or smoke it. Weed prohibition is the EPITOME of government OVERREACH.

As we enter an age when technology gives the authorities more and more power, we should be veeery sensitive about government overreach and capricious and arbitrary laws and enforcement. We need to be more assertive as citizens. There's NO reason weed should be illegal, while alcohol isn't and doctors hand out questionable and addictive psyche meds like candy.

With the tech now available to make "resistance is futile" a reality, we shouldn't get into the habit of being bullied by stuff we know is unfair.

There are all kinds of reasons that both progressives AND conservatives should be AGAINST prohibition and PRO legalization -- if they're being honest.

So -- Vote "No" on Issue 2 and "YES" on Issue 3 -- November 3, 2015. Polls are open from 6:30 in the morn to 7:30 p.m. Get out and vote!

If we get enough votes, rules is rules & we can't lose!

Check to see if you're registered to vote: My Voter Information

Tell a friend. Make it an outing!
So, in your opinion, weed will fix the rust belt economy that's been spiraling since the 60s? I think that's misguided to say the least. Legalizing marijuana is not going to make up for the absence of millions of manufacturing jobs that once comprised the heart of the regional economy. It's a bit misguided to think that local farmers are just going to switch from corn, soybeans, and winter wheat to Hindu Kush and North Shore Sinsimelian over night. I don't see firms like the Anderson's or Cargill starting to track dank on the commodities markets anytime soon. Sure, some local, small scale growers will produce when and if it's legalized, but how much economic impact will that provide?

I agree with decriminalizing it. It's ridiculous that people are serving time for possession of marijuana. I just think efforts to fix the economy, bring jobs back to the region, and stop the continuing exodus from the region are more important.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:49 AM

610 posts, read 796,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
So, in your opinion, weed will fix the rust belt economy that's been spiraling since the 60s? I think that's misguided to say the least. Legalizing marijuana is not going to make up for the absence of millions of manufacturing jobs that once comprised the heart of the regional economy. It's a bit misguided to think that local farmers are just going to switch from corn, soybeans, and winter wheat to Hindu Kush and North Shore Sinsimelian over night. I don't see firms like the Anderson's or Cargill starting to track dank on the commodities markets anytime soon. Sure, some local, small scale growers will produce when and if it's legalized, but how much economic impact will that provide?

I agree with decriminalizing it. It's ridiculous that people are serving time for possession of marijuana. I just think efforts to fix the economy, bring jobs back to the region, and stop the continuing exodus from the region are more important.
Ohio's unemployment rate is 5.2% while the national average is 5.5%. Ohio's economy grew by 2.1% in 2014 making it 18th best in the country.

Not quite North Dakota numbers but obviously not spiraling as you seem to think.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:32 AM

172 posts, read 254,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Before voting I suggest people read the information at LegalizeOhio2016.org first. They changed their name from Ohioans to End Prohibition. https://legalizeohio2016.org/ Their amendment would be on the ballot in 2016, and would take affect in January, 2017 if approved.

While they still don't go as far as I would regarding home growing, it does allow for growing without a license up to 6 plants for one person, or up to 12 plants if there are two adults in the residence. And there is no limit to how much finished product you can have at home as long as it is home grown (I'm assuming that you grew yourself, not from a friend, for instance).

Unlike the current amendment on the ballot, this one in 2016 will also allow farmers to grow hemp to use in products (not the type for getting high but the type for making clothes, etc.).

This solves two issues I have, the need for getting a license (which means having my name in a database as someone ignoring Federal law), and the limit of finished product of home grown a citizen could have in their possession. Limiting home growers to 6 plants is weak, but I could live with that since finished product will not be limited. A person could just grow their plants larger (delay flowering until the plants are large, then force flower at the appropriate time to get a very nice yield).

There will be fines for people caught in possession above a certain amount outside the home, and I'm not crazy about that but its not a deal breaker for me.

The website I linked to has a downloadable petition to circulate. You cannot sign your own petition, but the site gives locations where you can go to sign one.

Again, I urge voters to vote no on Issue 3, and wait for the one coming in 2016. I believe voters will pass Issue 2 meaning if Issue 3 passes also it will either be invalidated or tied up in the courts for who knows how long. Waiting for the amendment in 2016 to pass legalization could actually allow citizens to grow/buy and use SOONER than passing Issue 3 on November 3rd. And they would not be required to buy a license, have their names in a database for violating Federal law as growers, or be severely restricted in how much finished product of their own home grown they could have.

If we're going to get behind passing an amendment legalizing cannabis, lets do it right. Issue 3 is not worthy.
Ohio JB ...... If Issue 2 passes in November, how will that affect the LegalizeOhio2016 amendment?

Old 09-23-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Ohio's unemployment rate is 5.2% while the national average is 5.5%. Ohio's economy grew by 2.1% in 2014 making it 18th best in the country.

Not quite North Dakota numbers but obviously not spiraling as you seem to think.

The main reason the unemployment rate is dropping in Ohio is due to the volume of people leaving the state. All major cities have seen consistent drops in population over the last 30-40 years. According the most recent census that trend seems to be continuing. Less people in the labor pool competing for the same number of jobs results in lower unemployment.

Governor Kasich seems to have had a positive impact on the state economy. If I were involved in his campaign, I would make his economic recovery the center piece issue.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:26 AM

610 posts, read 796,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
The main reason the unemployment rate is dropping in Ohio is due to the volume of people leaving the state. All major cities have seen consistent drops in population over the last 30-40 years. According the most recent census that trend seems to be continuing. Less people in the labor pool competing for the same number of jobs results in lower unemployment.

Governor Kasich seems to have had a positive impact on the state economy. If I were involved in his campaign, I would make his economic recovery the center piece issue.
Cincinnati and Columbus are both gaining population. Cleveland and Dayton are starting to break even. Butler, Delaware and other suburban counties continue to explode in population. Ohio as a whole is gaining population, not by a large margin but still gaining. So again, not sure what you're talking about.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Cincinnati and Columbus are both gaining population. Cleveland and Dayton are starting to break even. Butler, Delaware and other suburban counties continue to explode in population. Ohio as a whole is gaining population, not by a large margin but still gaining. So again, not sure what you're talking about.

Columbus is the only city with any significant growth from 2010 to 2014 according to the U.S. Census Bureau at 6.0%. Cleveland is down -1.6 percent. Toledo is down -1.5%. Cincinnati is up 0.4%. Dayton is down -0.5%. Butler County does see an increase of 1.6%, not very explosive. Delaware county does see a large jump of 8.4%.

The real question is where the suburban growth is coming from? Is it from people moving into the state, or from people in the state relocating from urban areas, to suburban areas? In the aggregate, Ohio is still losing more people than it's gaining from interstate migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio