Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 06:05 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times

Advertisements

I vote mostly along environmental lines these days (which in general tell you how "bought" the candidate is)...I'd have to hear his stance on climate change and such, but if it's like 98% of the rest of the GOP, it's not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,453,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
So JobsOhio, in my opinion is a well executed necessary evil. It could be a lot worse. We could be Georgia, Nevada, or Arizona, just now grappling with aging infrastructure and no taxes to pay for it. At least Ohio has not offered the number of incentives those states have, nor is it on track to do so. And JobsOhio has brought jobs to the areas that need it most.
How can you say it's well executed? Show me just one article that tells us how much overhead there is in Jobs Ohio and specifically where the money goes and how much it costs to create jobs. Even if you show me in an article, it's worthless, because not even the legislature has the authority to verify any of the operations.

When there is no transparency, it's bad government, and Kasich champions this program because it likely largely siphons large amounts of public funds to his political supporters.

Quote:
Also, one other aside / reason why I like Kasich - how he has handled the economic opportunity of fracking. He refuses to allow fracking in state parks, and is keeping taxes high on the activity (and making them even higher). He sees our state holds significant reserves, and figures the State of Ohio might was well profit the most out of anyone from it.

It's not tied to Jobs Ohio, but I think it's a testament to how he executes social/economic/environmental policy.
Kasich signed the legislation that permits fracking operations in state parks and forests.

<<The legislature approved fracking in Ohio’s parks in 2011, and Kasich signed the bill.>>

Ohio House bill would ease fracking in state parks | The Columbus Dispatch

When the Republicans finally shove the rigs into the parks and forests, Kasich will cry crocodile tears and you'll fall for it based on the tone of your posts.

If it talks like a fracker, and walks with the frackers, it's a fracker.

I guess all of that special interest money and the corporate media in Ohio has convinced you and a few other so-called environmentalists that Kasich isn't a fracker.

It would be fascinating to know how much fracking money has backed Kasich's political career. Of course, that's not a story worthy of Ohio's corporate media.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:44 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,852,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Would you vote for Governor Kasich as President?
Yes.

His record isn't perfect, but he would have my vote. I do have a few issues with his record in office:

1) He expanded Medicaid but has no way to pay for it. For the next year or two, Obamacare is picking up the full tab for the expanded Medicaid. That isn't the case in a few years, where the state will be faced with a potentially unlimited liability... and no way to pay for it. Medicaid already eats up $40 billion of the $75 billion biannual state budget as it is... a number that's bound to grow with this expansion.

2) He needs to double down and attempt SB5 again to remove the stranglehold that the AFSCME, SEIU, AFL-CIO, CWA, OEA and other alphabet soup organizations have on the public sector employees. Breaking the back of these organizations will not only break up a major money funneling machine to the Democrats, it will also give the state and local boards free to sort the wheat from the chaff and improve accountability across the board.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:29 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,165,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
How can you say it's well executed? Show me just one article that tells us how much overhead there is in Jobs Ohio and specifically where the money goes and how much it costs to create jobs. Even if you show me in an article, it's worthless, because not even the legislature has the authority to verify any of the operations.

When there is no transparency, it's bad government, and Kasich champions this program because it likely largely siphons large amounts of public funds to his political supporters.

Kasich signed the legislation that permits fracking operations in state parks and forests.

<<The legislature approved fracking in Ohio’s parks in 2011, and Kasich signed the bill.>>

Ohio House bill would ease fracking in state parks | The Columbus Dispatch

When the Republicans finally shove the rigs into the parks and forests, Kasich will cry crocodile tears and you'll fall for it based on the tone of your posts.

If it talks like a fracker, and walks with the frackers, it's a fracker.

I guess all of that special interest money and the corporate media in Ohio has convinced you and a few other so-called environmentalists that Kasich isn't a fracker.

It would be fascinating to know how much fracking money has backed Kasich's political career. Of course, that's not a story worthy of Ohio's corporate media.
Hey! Very sorry about the late response.

Honestly, thanks for all the info. I'm a Democrat, so yeah all this stuff you are telling me makes his record IMO not good. Not good at all.

I wouldn't be able to show you an article on where the Jobs Ohio money goes. What they are doing is shady, probably somewhat illegal, but it does work. It has delivered measurable results. So because of that I am thankful, and I don't question the legality/ethics/etc. of it. But probably the wrong perspective to take. They definitely would stand to benefit from being more transparent.

Lying, deceit, and trickery is really no way to operate, but I do believe Kasich's intentions are in the best interest of the State of Ohio, NOT of John Kasich, and that is why I like him.

If you want evidence of "ME-ME-ME-ME-ME" politics, look no further than "Democrat" Mayor John Crybaby of Cincinnati. He is quickly putting the Nasty 'Nati nickname to good use with his narcissistic brand of politics.

With fracking, I believe he reneged on his previous commitment:
Kasich reverses on fracking in state parks | The Columbus Dispatch

To quote the article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Columbus Dispatch
“At this point, the governor doesn’t support fracking in state parks,” Kasich spokesman Rob Nichols told The Dispatch. “We reserve the right to revisit that, but it’s not what he wants to do right now, and that’s been his position for the past year and a half.”

So I doubt at this point Kasich is getting much Fracking money. If anything they are throwing barbs his way and sure as heck will not support him as a primary candidate. Oil Drop Cruz will get those dollars, or Jeb Bush for the Oil Cartel members who have a brain and want an electable candidate.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Yes.

His record isn't perfect, but he would have my vote. I do have a few issues with his record in office:

1) He expanded Medicaid but has no way to pay for it. For the next year or two, Obamacare is picking up the full tab for the expanded Medicaid. That isn't the case in a few years, where the state will be faced with a potentially unlimited liability... and no way to pay for it. Medicaid already eats up $40 billion of the $75 billion biannual state budget as it is... a number that's bound to grow with this expansion.

2) He needs to double down and attempt SB5 again to remove the stranglehold that the AFSCME, SEIU, AFL-CIO, CWA, OEA and other alphabet soup organizations have on the public sector employees. Breaking the back of these organizations will not only break up a major money funneling machine to the Democrats, it will also give the state and local boards free to sort the wheat from the chaff and improve accountability across the board.
And those "issues" are basically the only reason why I and other Democrats like him.

So he's the Moderate in the race. Considering how polarized our nation has become, I'm really hoping he can both get the nomination and stay true to the moderate, reasonable record he has held in Ohio.

But even better yet I like the fact that Clinton is quite moderate and decidedly the strongest candidate for the presidency.

Billary 2016.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:26 AM

800 posts, read 781,827 times
No. He worked for investment banks in NY and is well connected in elite business circles.

I appreciate the fact he's not completely off his rocker.

Pulling for Sanders. A long shot, but the only candidate not controlled by the rich.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:48 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,858 times
Quote:
How uninformed are you not knowing that Kasich has been known to talk for over an hour without one
Talking without using one means very little.

Also I accurately pointed out that most politicians use them which calls out the uninformed partisan hack comments again the President.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders are the only good candidates so far, of any party. ALL Republican candidates so fare are a JOKE and are not electable. But I want Bernie the most.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:36 PM

Yeah there's no way Bernie Sanders will be president of the USA. I mean, he seems like a great guy and I'm as liberal as they come, but he does not appeal to 75+% of voters. The Ted Cruz of the left, except he's actually a decent person and isn't a narcissistic a$* tuh-wat.

Bernie's in it to make a statement for more liberal causes, like killing the Trans-Pacific trade deal. Basically, the goal will be to force Hillary left, or at least define her position - put her under the gun, as they say. Again, something that needs to be done if Hillary can be refined into our next POTUS. What worries me more than anything is the lack of pure liberal support behind her - from individuals including people like yourself, nep321, I suspect.

If Kasich can by some miracle pull off a primary win, and Hillary does too, I'd be very happy. We'd have two great moderate candidates who have a good deal of experience, are passionate about making this country the best place it can be, and IMO wouldn't succumb to as many knee jerk reactions from personal politics - again, John Cranley of Cincinnati would be the poster child of playing personal politics on nearly every decision made, all the while sacrificing what's in the best interest of ALL Cincinnatians in return.

EDIT - Great example today. Mayor Idiot has about 5-7 narcissistic showdowns a week (I'm not mincing words because he deserves every ounce of distaste thrown at him): http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...d-cranley.html
And this guy is a Democrat. My #1 goal is that our president is NOT like him. I will very actively campaign against people like this moronic SOB. Money, time, whatever it takes.

Both have proven they are graceful both in victory and defeat, and both have worked with the other side on numerous occasions in the past. Both have driven great results and met goals they championed through methods and means they didn't necessarily believe in coming into the problem. I have a good deal of respect for both and hope they can both make it to the final round.

But still, I'm backing Ms. Clinton 100%

Last edited by SWOH; 05-06-2015 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 04:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Quote:
Yeah there's no way Bernie Sanders will be president of the USA. I mean, he seems like a great guy and I'm as liberal as they come, but he does not appeal to 75+% of voters. The Ted Cruz of the left, except he's actually a decent person and isn't a narcissistic a$* tuh-wat.

Bernie's in it to make a statement for more liberal causes, like killing the Trans-Pacific trade deal. Basically, the goal will be to force Hillary left, or at least define her position - put her under the gun, as they say. Again, something that needs to be done if Hillary can be refined into our next POTUS. What worries me more than anything is the lack of pure liberal support behind her - from individuals including people like yourself, nep321, I suspect.

If Kasich can by some miracle pull off a primary win, and Hillary does too, I'd be very happy. We'd have two great moderate candidates who have a good deal of experience, are passionate about making this country the best place it can be, and IMO wouldn't succumb to as many knee jerk reactions from personal politics - again, John Cranley of Cincinnati would be the poster child of playing personal politics on nearly every decision made, all the while sacrificing what's in the best interest of ALL Cincinnatians in return.

EDIT - Great example today. Mayor Idiot has about 5-7 narcissistic showdowns a week (I'm not mincing words because he deserves every ounce of distaste thrown at him): Cranley revives Madisonville apartment project - Cincinnati Business Courier
And this guy is a Democrat. My #1 goal is that our president is NOT like him. I will very actively campaign against people like this moronic SOB. Money, time, whatever it takes.

Both have proven they are graceful both in victory and defeat, and both have worked with the other side on numerous occasions in the past. Both have driven great results and met goals they championed through methods and means they didn't necessarily believe in coming into the problem. I have a good deal of respect for both and hope they can both make it to the final round.

But still, I'm backing Ms. Clinton 100%
Kasich sounds like a freak though. Didn't he say that he's "waiting for a sign from God" before deciding to run for president? I don't want a president who waits from signs from God in order to make big decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio