Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:42 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
He doesn't need a teleprompter
All politicians use teleprompters when they are not reading the speech on a paper in front of them.

Are you not aware of this? I have to wonder how uninformed someone is to make a statement like yours....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Default Jobs Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
although Jobs Ohio seems to be working well too
What's your basis for this statement?

None of the grants are made public to my knowledge. The grants are no strings-attached grants, often to Republican cronies, according to reports. Show me a list of recipients of Jobs Ohio grants and how many Ohio jobs were created and what were the payrolls of non-management and non-board of directors employees.

How much are we paying per job created? How good are the jobs? Would the jobs have been created otherwise? Wouldn't a job training program with claw-backs for specific beneficiaries provided higher and more certain returns?

Hundreds of millions of state revenues, if not billions over the years, were diverted to his program, while the infrastructure is crumbling and schools are having to raise real estate levies due to cuts in state funding. Local government funds have been eviscerated under Kasich.

He's a sham IMO, borrowing from the future to cut taxes now while providing a free ride to his supporters, as evidenced by Jobs Ohio, which likely would embarrass the hell out of Republicans if anybody knew what actually was transpiring in this program.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Republican toll road

Kasich's leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike is a disaster for Ohio and certainly for northern Ohio.

The toll for a truck from Akron to Chicago is already over $75/truck, and will rise at the rate of inflation for years to come, partially due to the Republicans leasing the Indiana Toll Road as well. Meanwhile I-75/I-65 is free.

This is fair, good government? How will Ohio benefit from destroying northern Ohio as a manufacturing base, despite its abundant water resources and infrastructure?

Goodyear to build $500 million tire plant in Mexico | cleveland.com

Thank you, John Kasich.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:51 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I pretty much agree with this.

So, since he has the endorsement of 2 anonymous liberals, I guess that makes him too left-leaning for the republican party.
haha exactly. One more anonymous liberal endorsement and he might as well be a Canadian!

(but wait.... isn't Ted Cruz Canadian? *rimshot*)

Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
What's your basis for this statement?

None of the grants are made public to my knowledge. The grants are no strings-attached grants, often to Republican cronies, according to reports. Show me a list of recipients of Jobs Ohio grants and how many Ohio jobs were created and what were the payrolls of non-management and non-board of directors employees.

How much are we paying per job created? How good are the jobs? Would the jobs have been created otherwise? Wouldn't a job training program with claw-backs for specific beneficiaries provided higher and more certain returns?

Hundreds of millions of state revenues, if not billions over the years, were diverted to his program, while the infrastructure is crumbling and schools are having to raise real estate levies due to cuts in state funding. Local government funds have been eviscerated under Kasich.

He's a sham IMO, borrowing from the future to cut taxes now while providing a free ride to his supporters, as evidenced by Jobs Ohio, which likely would embarrass the hell out of Republicans if anybody knew what actually was transpiring in this program.
I don't think anyone can reasonably debate with you that JobsOhio is a transparent organization. It certainly is not.

And to be completely honest, I'm not a fan of playing the incentives game. But I think it had to happen.
What's really needed is federal reform on tax incentive packages states can offer to companies so the societal drain of corporate welfare can come to an end. But that certainly won't happen under any of the candidates running for office now. It would take someone like Elizabeth Warren with an entirely Democratic Congress. And that is a fairy tale.

So JobsOhio, in my opinion is a well executed necessary evil. It could be a lot worse. We could be Georgia, Nevada, or Arizona, just now grappling with aging infrastructure and no taxes to pay for it. At least Ohio has not offered the number of incentives those states have, nor is it on track to do so. And JobsOhio has brought jobs to the areas that need it most.

Also, one other aside / reason why I like Kasich - how he has handled the economic opportunity of fracking. He refuses to allow fracking in state parks, and is keeping taxes high on the activity (and making them even higher). He sees our state holds significant reserves, and figures the State of Ohio might was well profit the most out of anyone from it.

It's not tied to Jobs Ohio, but I think it's a testament to how he executes social/economic/environmental policy. It's not liberal-ideal,

but it's a heck of a lot better than Ted Cruz, who has an
OIL DROP
for his campaign logo.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
All politicians use teleprompters when they are not reading the speech on a paper in front of them.

Are you not aware of this? I have to wonder how uninformed someone is to make a statement like yours....

How uninformed are you not knowing that Kasich has been known to talk for over an hour without one.

It is usually mentioned after he speaks. Bill Clinton is capable and has in the past when the teleprompter quit working.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
The fact that you would use that as a qualifier speaks volumes about you and not in a good way. Anyone can talk for over an hour without a teleprompter, especially when it's the usual self-congratulatory drivel you get from Kasich. Big on talk, big on corporate giveaways, big on tax cuts for the wealthy... Meaningful results? Not so much...

With that said, I would vote for him over Rand Paul or Ted Cruz -- even if it would be like picking hot garbage over raw sewage.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffy1 View Post
would you vote for governor kasich as president?

no.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Nah, kind of think Walker/Rubio tandem at the moment but enjoying watching Hillary slowly lose the dem nomination..what a crook.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:22 PM

Default Birds of a feather: Mitch Daniels and John Kasich?

Indiana Toll Road: Privatization’s Highway to Hell

Indiana Republicans leased their portion of I-80, while Ohio Republicans led by Kasich are leveraging the Ohio Turnpike -- borrowing funds not needed for the upkeep of the turnpike to be paid back by escalating tolls.

In both cases, the proceeds were used at least partially to increase road funds elsewhere in the state, while burdening the northern parts of both states with a hidden tax that will escalate annually, capped only by what the market will bear or the inflation rate. Rather than fairly raise gasoline taxes on everyone, the Republicans gave a free ride to regions largely dominated by Republicans while imposing a huge burden on northern residents.

Emasculating the northern parts of both Indiana and Ohio will not benefit either Indiana and Ohio in the long run.

Worse, trucks and others will abandon the toll roads funneling additional traffic to non-Interstates. This additional traffic will raise the cost of maintaining these roads and increase pollution.

The cost of delivering consumer goods to northern stores also will increase, passed along to consumers in northern Ohio and Indiana.

This is the Republican Toll Road. Can you just see John Kasich defending this at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland when newspapers like the New York Times and Washington Post cast a critical eye his way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio