Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:31 PM

143 posts, read 873,893 times

Advertisements

Best to least best

Cleveland
Cincy
Columbus
Toledo
Dayton
Akron
Youngstown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 10:32 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,667,374 times
Cincinnati...
As mentioned above there is not too many skylines that beats driving into the cut in the hill to see that awesome view.
AAA ranked it the best as well.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
I like the view of Cleveland from the beach at Edgewood State Park, and the view of Cincinnati from the top of the hill on Sycamore Street.

But my favorite skyline, purely for sentimental reasons, is Dayton.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I like the view of Cleveland from the beach at Edgewood State Park, and the view of Cincinnati from the top of the hill on Sycamore Street.

But my favorite skyline, purely for sentimental reasons, is Dayton.
Despite the fact that we rarely get downtown, I REALLY like the skyline of Dayton as I drive through on I-75!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,865,676 times
As a others have already alluded to, I love how the Cincinnati skyline swings dramatically into view as you approach from around the curves on I-71/75 up through Covington. WOW! With historic landmarks like the Carew Tower (which reminds me of "30 Rock" in NYC) and the old Central Trust building, I definitely think Cincy's is the prettiest

Cleveland's Key Tower always makes me think of Batman and Gotham City, especially how it's lit up at night I do think it's a nice "crowning" focal point to an otherwise sparse skyline. The BP tower is cool too, but I think the Terminal Tower is still the most elegant building in Cleveland.

Columbus' tall buildings are unusual in their placement and spacing. You've got the Nationwide cluster up on N. High, the courthouse cluster on S. High, and the main concentration of buildings centrally placed near the Statehouse. In my opinion, the Rhodes tower (built in the '70s) is one ugly piece of architecture! It's rivaled only by the Borden building—which is even uglier, but fortunately not as tall. The LeVeque building is by far the "crown jewel" of Columbus, and as for modern structures, I like the nearby Huntington tower as well.

Now, I know y'all are gonna laugh at me for saying this...but how can I resist? One of my favorite skylines anywhere is that of my own little hometown: Lancaster! Rather than skyscrapers erected by bankers & industrialists, the tallest structures in Lancaster are the steeples of its churches! (...along with the old Romanesque bell tower of City Hall). Driving in from any direction is, to my mind anyway, a heart-warming experience.

Small towns rock!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
As a others have already alluded to, I love how the Cincinnati skyline swings dramatically into view as you approach from around the curves on I-71/75 up through Covington.
I'm tellin' ya ... Get off the freeway, and see the city from the top of Sycamore Street in Mt. Auburn/Prospect Hill. It's stunning.

Quote:
The LeVeque building is by far the "crown jewel" of Columbus
Is that the light grey/offwhite Art Deco-y building? As you approach from the south, it's on the left (west) side of downtown. I've never known what it was called, but it's a cool building.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,865,676 times
Quote:
I'm tellin' ya ... Get off the freeway, and see the city from the top of Sycamore Street in Mt. Auburn/Prospect Hill. It's stunning.
Oh, you're not kidding! I've actually seen the lovely Queen City from several angles, including Mt. Auburn... One of my favorites was dining on a riverboat/restaurant that's docked across the river in KY. At night, that view is breathtaking!

Quote:
Is that the light grey/offwhite Art Deco-y building? As you approach from the south, it's on the left (west) side of downtown. I've never known what it was called, but it's a cool building.
Yes! That's the LeVeque. It was built in the '20s, about 50 years before any of the other big buildings in Columbus. Its lower floors include a really cool restored movie house, now called the Palace Theatre—hosting operas, musicals, comedy & other live entertainment.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:27 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,424,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
In my opinion, the Rhodes tower (built in the '70s) is one ugly piece of architecture!
Interesting bit of information I learned in the past year....

The Rhodes Tower apparently was meant to be taller, but during construction they suddenly decided to cap it off (I don't know why) and that's why part of it juts up higher than the rest of the building. I guess it has something to do with part of the crane that was left behind...?

Anyway.....another really great angle of the Cincinnati skyline is from right down at Yeatman's Cove. Looking up toward the skyscrapers is a rarely photographed angle that is shown to the public. Sure would look even better if they'd hurry up and get Queen City Square II built.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,933,401 times
To me hands down Cleveland has the best skyline in Ohio. If your talking about a certain view like the I-75 cut for Cincinnati there are places like that near Cleveland too. I forgot where I was driving in Cleveland but the skyline looked really good from one view. Cincinnatis skyline is shorter but more dense than Clevelands so its 2nd. Columbus skyline is pretty boring looking but I put it at third best. Suprisingly, Akron actually has a really nice view of downtown if you come from the South over a hill. If anyone knows what road Im takling about its like suburban looking then you go over a small hill and theres Downtown Akron, its a pretty nice view and contrast from suburban to urban.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 PM

40 posts, read 186,778 times
Cleveland has the best skyline in Ohio, period. There are so many different great angles from which to view it as well. Plus you can also view it from, or with Lake Erie, which can give a very different feel to the city than when viewed from the south on dry land.

One of my favorites though, on land, is northbound on I-77, right around Independence and the I-480 split, after the big tower where the branch of the University of Phoenix is located. If you look carefully to the Northwest, you can see the Key Tower surrounded by the other tallest skyscrapers way off into the distance. As LancasterNative said, it does have a certain "Gotham" feel about it.

Cincy is second best for me, although I must admit that Columbus is growing on me. Cincinnati's buildings as others have stated are shorter, but more clustered together giving it a very dense, urban feel. I also agree with the other poster who said that it's kinda ironic that the best view is from Kentucky. Columbus' skyline doesn't look like much from I-71, or even while walking or driving through downtown. But try heading in eastbound on The Innerbelt/I-670. I think this is the best view of downtown Columbus, and it makes the skyline, if not the whole city of Columbus itself, seem as big as it truly has become.

As for the smaller towns, Toledo and Dayton's skylines are okay, but there doesn't really seem to be anything truly unique or outstanding about them. Youngstown's skyline is interesting from a "pre-WWII" historical perspective of cities, since that was the last time that any major high-rise building was constructed there. Canton also sort of has a skyline, a series of squat buildings 35-stories or less, viewable from I-77. But you'll have to strain your eyes somewhat to see it, because as with Youngstown, there has been little new architectural development there since World War II.

Akron's skyline is shorter than Dayton's or Toledo's, but may actually be the most aesthetically pleasing of them all. Following the Innerbelt/Rt-59 into Downtown gives the best view of this series of cascading towers, especially from about a half-mile before the end of the freeway at North Main St. (Was this what you were referring to, Cle440?) Supposedly, this stretch of the Innerbelt was designed by the same architect who designed the UN plaza. An interesting illusion can be seen, however, when driving along the combined I-76/I-77 corridor. The University of Akron's Goodyear Hall/Polymer Science Building appears to be part of the skyline, although it is actually several blocks away, and standing from a higher elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio