Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 03:22 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,993 times

Advertisements

Trump has pulled resources out of Virginia. Some are interpreting it as him already recognizing his defeat in this state. Do you see Trump winning in Virginia based on how you and your neighbors are planning to vote?

Trump campaign pulls resources out of Virginia - CNNPolitics.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 03:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
I have no clue about neighbors. It is a predominately Republican area.

In the past, there were a few Democrat and many republican signs for president as well as congress. This year, paraticularly none. There are probably about 400 Houses in the neighborhood and I walk for exercise. There are about five Comstock, one Trump and one Romney (that's been up since 2012, replaced after mowing, shoveling snow etc. Think he really like Romney a lot lol). Zero for Hillary or Bennett.

One house had a Comstock but it's gone -- not sure why.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:16 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Clinton is strongly favored to win in Virginia, and presumably large margins in Northern Virginia are a major factor in these predictions.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...cast/virginia/

Old 10-14-2016, 04:17 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Trump has pulled resources out of Virginia. Some are interpreting it as him already recognizing his defeat in this state. Do you see Trump winning in Virginia based on how you and your neighbors are planning to vote?

Trump campaign pulls resources out of Virginia - CNNPolitics.com
Why would anecdotes be of greater interest than what good polls have shown?

Old 10-14-2016, 04:51 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Buh-bye!

I can't imagine anyone in our neighborhood would vote for the racist sexual-assaulting sociopath. Yeah, yeah--it's true Hillary's a liar, but at least her lies haven't been to screw over small businesses or cover up assaults. Hers have been just to cover up serious rulebreaking (and probable lawbreaking) and other serious lapses in judgment resulting from her chronic paranoia and arrogance. I wrote in a recent thread in the Elections forum that she seems to believe her good intentions obviate any need to worry about even the appearance of conflicts of interest, never mind adherence to tedious rules.

In other words, one is merely Nixon minus the charm (!)--while the other seems to be a fusion of David Duke, Bill Cosby, and Bernie Madoff.

I'll take Nixon any day, given those miserable choices.

As to the changing demographics of Virginia: Social progressivism will be on the upswing in more and more states, as cities grow larger and more populated by outsiders. Look at Atlanta, Dallas, and Raleigh-Durham. The same is happening in NoVA, as it grows in population and the rest of the state loses residents (or is subsumed by NoVA--e.g., Stafford, which was super-rural 20 years ago).

All that said, it's not totally clear what that means as far as Rs and Ds. The GOP will surely self-correct after the current fiasco, nominating a pragmatic, socially tolerant fiscal conservative who does not want to merge government and religion or talk about deporting all the illegal immigrants.

A lot of folks in urban areas could support such a candidate.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:25 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Critical counties: Prince William, Virginia, a long-term warning to the GOP - CNNPolitics.com CNN posted this earlier today, I thought it was interesting and speaks to what's going on in suburban communities around the country. The same thing is happening in Loudoun.

With that being said, there is something to be said that all over this country, especially rural america, there are people who feel like because they don't fall into a certain income bracket or live in a certain zip code they've been largely forgotten about. I get their frustration.

But the belief that this guy, who grew up in an extremely wealthy family and from the second he was born had a silver spoon in his mouth, is going to somehow revitalize these areas and bring back jobs that have long left this country is a complete joke. It's actually sad because he's exploiting them and selling them an expired infomercial that he won't be able to deliver on.

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 10-14-2016 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 05:46 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Why would anecdotes be of greater interest than what good polls have shown?
Historically, the most accurate presidential prediction oil has been the one that asks who the respondent's neighbor is voting for.

Also, I had thought that with the large majority of the state as rural or Richmond, that Trump might have had more of a chance.

Last edited by Ffxdata; 10-14-2016 at 06:40 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 06:32 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I don't think Trump ever had the slightest desire to become President. It's just another in a long line of ego trips. I don't think he is even a Republican. And wasn't he a buddy of the Clintons for years? Could be a little deal they made...

Of course, it got real when he amazingly got the nomination. Somebody that actually wanted to win the Presidency would tone down the crazy rhetoric....he stepped it up. He wants to lose, IMO.

I believe the Donald will be a frequent visitor at the Clinton White House. She's going to owe him...big time!

Old 10-14-2016, 06:51 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I don't think Trump ever had the slightest desire to become President. It's just another in a long line of ego trips. I don't think he is even a Republican....
I agree; the only consistent values he's ever stuck by are his own financial interest and indulgence of his sexual desires.

But I don't see him doing anything after the election other than milking his base for sales of books, tickets to speaking engagements, and whatever else he can come up with--until he dies of the inevitable heart attack.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Yeah basically there are four or five localities that are important in Virginia: 1) Henrico County (Richmond burbs) 2) Prince Wiliam 3) Loudoun 4) Virginia Beach

The last Republican to win statewide (Bob McDonnell) won all of them.
McAuliffe, Obama, Kaine, and Warner (Democrats) all won at least Henrico, Loudoun, and Prince William.

Before Donald's latest meltdown, a lot of people predicted that Donald would not only lose Henrico, Loudoun, and Prince William, but that he will be the first Republican in our lifetimes to lose Virginia Beach. Moreover, even Republicans like Tom Davis think that Trump will lose by a historic 400,000 vote margin in Northern Virginia. Basically Donald's campaign was relying on wishful thinking in Virginia as well as Pennsylvania.

The most interesting race to watch will be the 10th Congressional District election. Trump will lose the district by 15+ points (a district Romney won) but Barbara Comstock will get more support than him. If Comstock loses re-election, then Hillary will win the state (and country) in a landslide.

And as I wrote this the New York Times published an article about Virginia's 10th Congressional District election: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/15...share&referer=.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia