Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:28 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times

Advertisements

I came from Sopranoland - NJ - and even there people were friendlier - I cant figure it out - I am a SAHM and am having a very hard time making friends for me and my small children. People seem stuck up and clickish.
The friendlier people are the ones that have a slight southern accent - I guess they are the natives. I notice the more South I travel - the friendlier people get - in Fredericksburg people are much friendlier than Fairfax.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
It's funny to read these posts and realize how lucky I must be to be out in Loudoun County. I haven't had any of these experiences. The people in my neighborhood are very friendly. The general atmosphere seems relaxed (until you get on 66, of course ) It makes me very glad we didn't buy a house closer to the city.

At any rate, I just wanted to wish you well. I moved here from Redondo Beach, CA 8 years ago. San Diego is a lovely town. I personally prefer it here, but everyone has a different paradise. If you are unhappy here, I'm glad to hear that you're go to try some other spots. Life is too short to stay where you are unhappy.

Also, I wanted to tell the guy who went to an unfriendly catholic church that he should try the church on the corner of Algonkian Parkway and Cascades Parkway (Cascades section of Loudoun, not far from Fairfax). The congregation is very friendly.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
I'm consistently reading how the people in Northern Virginia are "rude," when in reality, many people who live in NoVA are more insular, dealing with various challenges (working 50+ hours, traffic, high prices), and keeping to themselves more than anything else. I'm not saying how these people are acting are in any way positive or pro-social (because it surely isn't), but if you went to MD and parts of DC, then you will see absolute overt rudeness: people going out of their way to give you bitter stares, ignore you when you try to ask a question, and et cetera.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM

26 posts, read 91,445 times
I've lived here for over four years and overall I must say that I haven't had much of an issue at all. I moved here from Cleveland for school and now I commute to Fredericksburg for work. So yes, I must say that I am lucky my commute is pretty good (albeit its 55 miles, I encounter very little traffic and I get travel at posted speed). I used to work on Capitol Hill and I commuted to there from Fairfax, so yes that was pretty horrific by car, but besides the traffic I haven't had any issues at all. You're going to find idiotic, self-centered people everywhere. And yes, the real-estate is more expensive. But what is the trade-off? You get one of the most diverse, cultured metropolitan areas in the country. Additionally, people her tend to be much more accepting of other cultures, which further enriches your quality of life.

To sum it up, you have to take the good with the bad. Any large metro area with a great job market is going to be expensive. Yes, there is cheaper real estate elsewhere. But do you think they have the same unemployment rate as we do here? Hell no! I definately give you props for going to San Diego, beautiful city. But jobs are hard to come by there, you definately lucked out with getting that job transfer. Maybe when I'm married and want to retire I'll move somewhere cheaper, but as a 20 something I'll stay here.

To each their own, but for me the good outweighs the bad.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 19,703 times
There are plenty jobs elsewhere under 6 figures. A common response I hear from people that make 40-80k a year," There are no jobs elsewhere." Yeah keep telling yourself that. If you make well over 100k or work for the government I can understand where you're coming from.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:55 AM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
With as many transplants the DC area gets, you are certain to get a bunch of people who just don't mix well, and a bunch of people who do.

What I don't understand is why people who leave this area, or any area, like to make these "I'm leaving this place because it sucks" type of threads.

What are you, like 12 years old? Just leave and be happy elsewhere.

Last edited by tenken627; 01-24-2008 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
With as many transplants the DC area gets, you are certain to get a bunch of people who just don't mix well, and a bunch of people who do.

What I don't understand is why people who leave this area, or any area, like to make these "I'm leaving this place because it sucks" type of threads.

What are you, like 12 years old? Just leave and be happy elsewhere.
LOL, I think most of them are secretly hoping someone will say "Oh noooo, not that! No, no, please don't go!"

You have to wonder why they think anyone cares--I'm sure all you other posters are nice people but you're complete strangers to me, so it's no skin off my back if you choose to live here or not.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I think most of them are secretly hoping someone will say "Oh noooo, not that! No, no, please don't go!"

You have to wonder why they think anyone cares--I'm sure all you other posters are nice people but you're complete strangers to me, so it's no skin off my back if you choose to live here or not.

Far from it.

Some people are here due to military assignments. Difficult as it may be to understand, there is no choice.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
Far from it.

Some people are here due to military assignments. Difficult as it may be to understand, there is no choice.

LOL, good point. Let's change that to "it's no skin off my back if you live here or not."

Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
Far from it.

OMG! Has the draft been reinstated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia