Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:09 PM

42 posts, read 280,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
If you do like diversity, sit tight, you will find the culture you seek as you settle in.
You will also find a lot of great "ethnic" food. Take advantage of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 12:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,450 times
To find out exactly how much previous/current home owner paid for the house, tax info, etc.:
Fairfax County

I am sure other counties have similar websites where you can search...

Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,518 times
Want mod to sticky

Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
Ok, ok. Done
Yac.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:06 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,369 times
I am looking to relocate to Fairfax County from Rochester ny. I will tell you it is like night and day. Crime in the rust belt is bad. I am in an inter-racial relationship and I saw no problems in Fairfax County. They only difference I disliked was traffic. I came down from 270 near Fredrick to get to fall church and I have never seen so much traffic. But 270 has 2 lanes and eventually opens up. If they expand their highway like nyc or nj I do not see them having a problem with traffic on the highways. Only difference in cost of living was housing. Actually checked price between cities and it cost more in upstate ny to live than in northern Virginia. From an outsiders point of view I liked northern Virginia. Only area I did not like driving into was seven corners, I never knew where to go.

Oh, Wegmans food is from rochester, ny. The flagship store in Rochester is in pittsford ny. It is nice but I love the fairfax store with the wine cellar and more room to move around in the market/wokery area.

Last edited by shibainu; 10-28-2007 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 04:19 PM

73 posts, read 458,230 times
Miles from job x 2.5, not 2. 30 miles = 1.5 hours on a bad day. Which could be any day, so you have to plan.

Driving from Loudoun County to the Dulles Airport Exxon and gassing up lets you ride on the otherwise-forbidden toll road. Keep your receipt. Not sure it saves you MUCH time unless the toll road is IMPOSSIBLY backed up, which is far too often - and boy you better NEED gas. In other words, FILL UP not just buy a few dollars. We have four cars and rotate the one that needs the most gas...but the cops will let you by if you really NEEDED gas.

The Greenway (Private toll road)'s prices are horrible until you examine the alternative.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:45 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Observations about Loudoun County (may also apply to other counties--but I happen to live in Loudoun):

1. Loudoun is where families live. It can be lonely for single people, although that is starting to change. The best way to meet new friends here (if you don't have kids) is through a church. Toastmasters is also very big here. The local libraries are dynamic, and any club meeting at a library is likely to attract lots of people. Sweetwater and Champs are two good places to get a drink and meet new friends.

2. As mentioned above, the libraries are incredible resources. And guess what, they don't charge fines for overdue books!!!

3. You can hike all the way from Algonkian Park to Great Falls National Park. It's a beautiful trail--a bit hard to find at first but well worth it. There are many great trails in Loudoun.

4. The area near Dulles Mall is growing incredibly fast. All the new stores in Virginia seem to go there first. If you're looking for an upscale store, Sterling usually has it. Personally, I think it's exciting and vibrant--I love all the new stores and I think they've done a good job of planning. IMO, the traffic runs smoothly and the whole area is well designed. Others will disagree, and some people find the growth disconcerting.

5. If you buy a house, use mulch in your garden. It will help you conserve water, and protects your plants if the winter gets cold. It's available for free at the County site on evergreen road. Some people get carried away and build little mulch "volcanoes" around their trees. Don't do this--mulch should only be a few inches high.

6. Get free gardening advice from Merrified Garden Center. Probably the other garden centers have advice, too but that's the place I use. You can take a cutting from a plant and they will tell you what it is, how to care for it (and what's wrong with it if you have a problem). They have a tv show every Saturday at 8 a.m. that is very useful for people new to the area.

7. If you are new to the mid Atlantic and have pine trees--it is normal for some of the needles to turn brown and fall off at this time of year.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Also--

Kayaking is a wonderful sport here (in the summer, anyway--the Potomac is starting to get a little cold now). You can rent them at Riverbend Park for $15. Riverbend Park is a gem that many people don't know about. It's right next to great Falls National Park, and there's a very scenic hike to the falls. And, best of all, it's free!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 AM

257 posts, read 1,131,132 times
my neighbors house just sold for 330k. 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 and a half acres in Prince William. Prices are good now for a buyer....good luck selling.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 61,620 times
Thanks very much SmerkyGrl for the quick summary of Northern Va. Myself and my family (wife, 3 year old daughter, and a big dog) are planning to move to Northern Fairfax in March 08. We are looking for a 3 bedroom townhouse to rent/buy. Could someone please tell me decent residential neighborhoods (meaning good schools, safe...).etc.? My office will be in Fairfax (~9500, Lee Highway) so I'm looking for not more than a 30 minute commute in peak traffic ...so any desirable neighborhoods within that radius ??? Appreciate the help very much ..Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia