Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,275,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
If the US can end a war due to funding constraints, they are willing to cut jobs due to the same funding constraints. If I were in DoD I would seriously be looking for stable work. Saying "its not going to happen" is not doing your family justice.
Aren't we just temporarily between wars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM

505 posts, read 765,815 times
I didn't understand the "end a war due to funding constraints" comment...

There are over 60k troops fighting and dying in a ground war in Afghanistan right now.

Although the OCO funds that directly pay for those operations are exempt from sequestration, anyone who thinks those troops won't be adversely impacted by huge indiscriminate cuts across DoD is extremely naive. Let's not forget about that when discussing the regrettable impacts on people in this area.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:40 AM

708 posts, read 1,206,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
I didn't understand the "end a war due to funding constraints" comment...

There are over 60k troops fighting and dying in a ground war in Afghanistan right now.

Although the OCO funds that directly pay for those operations are exempt from sequestration, anyone who thinks those troops won't be adversely impacted by huge indiscriminate cuts across DoD is extremely naive. Let's not forget about that when discussing the regrettable impacts on people in this area.
Iraq.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 AM

708 posts, read 1,206,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
And some will be temporarily between jobs.

I dont know what everyone elses opinion is, but if I were government, I would absolutely be looking for work.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
And some will be temporarily between jobs.

I dont know what everyone elses opinion is, but if I were government, I would absolutely be looking for work.
Why? Even with this situation, it's still a lot more stable than much of the rest of the economy right now. For one thing you're not competing with a bunch of foreign nationals unable to get clearances. A lot of folks would likely think twice before throwing that away over something that may not happen at all or if it does will likely be temporary.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM

271 posts, read 447,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
3. While I haven't had a raise in three years and I work my butt off (in a job I love), the people who work for our agency as contractors have all had 4-8% raises during that time period. Yet, they are paid out of the same budget as we are all paid from.

Granted, there are some contractors that are suffering with budget cuts.
Dang which agency do you work for?
The one I work for outside the beltway; no one on the contractor side has seen 4-8% at all. The big prime contracts at best - the last two years saw 0-2%. This include worker bee and SETA types and everyone in between. Specifically I have seen NG, BAH, GDAIS, LM and a few others straight up cut their middle to upper management folks (or expensive SETAs) on contract while picking up the cheapest talent they can legally to fill holes on an aging contract.

I can't speak for small 8As or independents as they have barely any overhead. 4-8% in my agency in the IC has been totally unrealistic.

The reality is anyone working for a big company in which said company is the prime has seen their pay or benefits reduced significantly. Things like healthcare costs sky rocketing, deductibles increase 50%+ PTO and floating hours cut etc etc.

The companies that are backed by shareholders are just trying to balance a sinking ship, reducing where they can without starting internal turmoil.

Fed and contractors alike are both sweating bullets right now because the reality is we are watching our counterparts and benefits get cut like a loaf of bread.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
The one I work for outside the beltway; no one on the contractor side has seen 4-8% at all. The big prime contracts at best - the last two years saw 0-2%. This include worker bee and SETA types and everyone in between. Specifically I have seen NG, BAH, GDAIS, LM and a few others straight up cut their middle to upper management folks (or expensive SETAs) on contract while picking up the cheapest talent they can legally to fill holes on an aging contract.
It sometimes can depend on your performance. Don't forget contractors get bonuses and sometimes stock. Their increases are also variable based on job rating so can be above normal COL. Also there could be promotion increases.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-02-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post

I can't speak for small 8As or independents as they have barely any overhead. 4-8% in my agency in the IC has been totally unrealistic.

The reality is anyone working for a big company in which said company is the prime has seen their pay or benefits reduced significantly. Things like healthcare costs sky rocketing, deductibles increase 50%+ PTO and floating hours cut etc etc.

The companies that are backed by shareholders are just trying to balance a sinking ship, reducing where they can without starting internal turmoil.

Fed and contractors alike are both sweating bullets right now because the reality is we are watching our counterparts and benefits get cut like a loaf of bread.
I work for DoD and the contractors, specifically, that I have this information are from NG, Alion, LM, and SAIC. These are service type contracts for DoD. That said, I am not trying to claim this is across the board. This is in a specific type of work for the DoD. If I were to go back to being a contractor, it would be back into that type of work.

I just hired two contractors from two different companies (listed above) and I had to sacrifice experience to get them into a range that it would be a lateral move for them. I took one person in as a mid-level GS-13 (it was a lateral for him) and he did not have the years of experience that I would have hoped for. No, those are making at the GS-14 and GS-15 level.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You're bring flip, but actually there's some truth to this. Defense is ultimately more stable than many other industries. So yes, it's a temporary situation. Of course the problem with temporary situations is that when you're in them they seem to go on forever.

Can't hurt to see what else is out there, but I suspect most of us will find the best option is to stay put.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You're bring flip, but actually there's some truth to this. Defense is ultimately more stable than many other industries. So yes, it's a temporary situation. Of course the problem with temporary situations is that when you're in them they seem to go on forever.

Can't hurt to see what else is out there, but I suspect most of us will find the best option is to stay put.
Yes, there was a serious point behind my remark. I'm sure big defense cuts were seen as a really great idea to a lot of people on September 10, 2001. It only took a few guys flying some planes into buildings to change the picture. How about an Iranian attack on Israel (or the other way round), a Chinese move on Taiwan, or the obliteration of Seoul? This isn't the first time we've been lulled into a false sense of peacetime security and likely won't be the last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia