Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,167,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
you won't mind if I informally refer to rte 1 in Arlington as "traitor highway" then
Not particularly, although I might not get the reference. But hey, at least it's funnier than some of the other informal nicknames I've heard for Rt. 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,602,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Not particularly, althouth I might not get the references. But hey, at least it's funnier than some of the other informal nicknames I've heard for Rt. 1.

Its interesting to note that its called Davis highway in Arlington, and in Alex until the patrick st henry street divide, but its called Richmond Highway here in Fairfax, and then Davis highway picks up again in Prince William.

Changing it to Richmond Highway in Arlington and PWC could be just conforming it to FFX. Whatever.

How about if I call it Miles Davis highway, would that be clearer?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM

15,471 posts, read 25,929,083 times
You can call it whatever you want. Heck people call parts of Fairfax County "Alexandria" even when it isn't. They won't mind you calling Rt 1 by whatever name you want. However, don't expect newcomers to understand you without an explanation.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
How about if I call it Miles Davis highway, would that be clearer?
Probably not, but it would be a great name for a highway! Why not try it for awhile and see if it catches on?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,181,030 times
Quote:
you won't mind if I informally refer to rte 1 in Arlington as "traitor highway" then
With that logic, then then all of the USA is Traitorland since we did gain independence from Britain. The "Founding Fathers" were all "traitors" and I'm damn proud of that. Of course we won that war so we got to select the name - lol

Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,699,056 times
Quote:
I'll join you in that .

Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
like I said

"I think the best thing would be to subvert the meaning. Create a hipster community on Jeff Davis Highway, with businesses, galleries, etc that play off the name in an "ironic" way.

Might actually redeem hipsterdom, IMO "
Exactly--irony is fun, and often triumphant in its own way.

I've always liked your story about going to Peter Stuyvesant High, which these days is heavily Jewish. The irony is that Stuyesant was an antisemite who tried to prevent jews from settling in New Amsterdam.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:21 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,699,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
With that logic, then then all of the USA is Traitorland since we did gain independence from Britain. The "Founding Fathers" were all "traitors" and I'm damn proud of that. Of course we won that war so we got to select the name - lol
Yes, but they were fighting for freedom, something to be proud of. Not fighting for the right to enslave people. (Cue the apologists and deniers who will claim the war wasn't about slavery ... bottom line, had there been no slavery, there would have been no war.)

Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM

5,389 posts, read 7,250,454 times
Quote:
Parts of Route 1 have been named "away" from Jeff Davis in various communities, so you could form a group with that goal if you're so inclined. Me, I've got other stuff to do. Like C-D

Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,035,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I've always found Southerners to be more prone to know about and think about the Civil War (aka War of Northern Aggression), whereas most others think "huh? That's ancient history!"
True. As a New Jerseyean moving to the FL panhandle years ago, I was very surprised to see a separate (and may I add, large) section called "Civil War" in bookstores. My thoughts were along the lines of, "Huh? Did I miss something? Wasn't that over 150 years ago??"

You're right, no one besides Southerners ever gives the Civil War a second thought. But living (sort of) in the South again, I do have an appreciation for how the local populace views historical events.

I've lived overseas as well; maybe for this reason I have a when-in-Rome attitude. Let Virginia have their place names; it's part of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia