Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 PM

32,632 posts, read 77,853,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'm actually surprised this thread has lasted this long. Especially since the OP's only intent in starting this thread was to blast the people of NE PA. He had to know that he wasn't exactly going to get a warm reception in response to another one of his "I moved to the big city, and now I see what uneducated backwards bigoted hicks you NE PA people are" posts. Between C-D and the Times-Tribune site, its getting old.
BOO-HOO! The truth hurts, doesn't it? It is irksome to know that Scranton is just 1.5 hours away from many other areas where people are ACCEPTING of diversity while the city in and of itself remains stuck in a socially-regressive bubble where people are allowed to hide behind the Bible as a means to be discriminatory and to preach hatred. For as much as I miss certain things about the area like the historic architecture, mountain backdrop, independent businesses, etc., I can't really say the same about a lot of the people.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:49 PM

Reality check once again to some of you: We do NOT live in a theocracy. Your personal right-wing religious beliefs have NO PLACE in determining legislation that could potentially have a detrimental impact upon others who don't adhere to your similar belief system. The Bible has NO PLACE in the legislative process. Period. End of discussion.

I sincerely hope a devout extremist Muslim runs for office and then starts attempting to pass legislation in accordance with his or her personal religious beliefs. The right-wing Christians who have spoken out in this thread about their "right" to oppose an entire group of people for merely being different (while also slamming "liberals" for not being tolerant of themselves) will be the first ones to complain about separation of church and state in a case like that and urge people to speak out. Typical.

When you get down the root of those in the anti-same-sex civil equality camp their arguments always boil back to religion. After enough prying and prodding about their rationale they'll spit out "God wouldn't it to be that way." Whose God? Yahweh? Moses? The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Allah? Les Spindler? Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman? The Wandering Spirit of the Enchanted Woods? Anyone who attempts to debate their political beliefs using their own PERSONAL religious beliefs as their backbone immediately loses credibility in my eyes. Do you really believe our founding fathers fled their oppressive homeland to create a NEW homeland that was just as much of a dominant theocracy as the one they once inhabited? Get real.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,409,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
It's not preaching hate, you're wrong. It seems to me the liberals aren't tolerant of anyone who disagrees with them. Look at the Perez Hilton fiasco and the Miss America pageant. That poor girl answered his silly question honestly and look at all the flak she got. Tolerant liberal, I think not. We're sick of the crap from the bleeding hearts. So, because I don't agree with something and believe that's it's wrong, I'm hateful? So untrue. I'm a Christian and proud of it and I know where my heart is, I don't need anyone to tell me otherwise. I don't think I'm superior to anyone, I just don't need this liberal propaganda constantly shoved down my throat and that I'm supposed to swallow it smoothly.
I'm ultra liberal. I don't care if you or anyone else thinks being gay is wrong. I DO care when you and others try to limit others civil rights because of it though.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM

[quote=ScranBarre;10248342]Reality check once again to some of you: We do NOT live in a theocracy. Your personal right-wing religious beliefs have NO PLACE in determining legislation that could potentially have a detrimental impact upon others who don't adhere to your similar belief system. The Bible has NO PLACE in the legislative process. Period. End of discussion.

[quote]

Oh didn't you know? Our founding fathers were Christian. So apparently THAT trumps the constitution and all other legal documents protecting and granting civil rights to ALL.

The constitution is only allowed to be trotted out during second amendment arguments.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,680,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm ultra liberal. I don't care if you or anyone else thinks being gay is wrong. I DO care when you and others try to limit others civil rights because of it though.
So, you think what Perez Hilton did was right? I think it was horrible what he said about that girl. That doesn't sound very tolerant to me, attacking her personal beliefs. To me, I don't think of gays as a minority group like blacks or Latinos. I always believed minorities referred to race, not sexual preference. So, what if a person is black and gay? Does that make them a double minority or less of a person? The question sounds silly, but so is the presumption. Again, I can still love and respect someone if they're doing something wrong or something I don't agree with, I can separate the two.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,680,353 times
I'm not going to comment anymore on this topic. I respect the other posters and do not wish for yet another thread to be closed. I have stated my opinions and stand by my beliefs and not going to attack others. Who ever doesn't like it, oh well, I have no trouble sleeping at night. Have a good night all!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
So, you think what Perez Hilton did was right? I think it was horrible what he said about that girl. That doesn't sound very tolerant to me, attacking her personal beliefs. To me, I don't think of gays as a minority group like blacks or Latinos. I always believed minorities referred to race, not sexual preference. So, what if a person is black and gay? Does that make them a double minority or less of a person? The question sounds silly, but so is the presumption. Again, I can still love and respect someone if they're doing something wrong or something I don't agree with, I can separate the two.
Uh no. I actually defended that contestant VIGOROUSLY. What if a person is black and Mexican? Does that make them a double minority?

Again, just because you do not agree with something doesn't mean that something is wrong or should be illegal.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM

It's very irksome when people continuously imply that people like me made a "choice" to be gay. That's simply not the case, and, as such, people like me should NOT be "punished" for something that is inherent to us by being stripped of the ability to have equal civil rights.

Ed, you didn't just wake up one morning and say "I think I'm going to like women." It just happened, didn't it? One day in middle school a cute girl smiled at you and brushed up near you with her low-cut top, and you drooled uncontrollably! In my circumstance I go running and have to struggle to avert my eyes when I see a guy approaching me on the trail from the opposing direction with an eight-pack! It's just part of who we are, and I'm tiring of having to defend that from people who think it's okay to diminish our worth as human beings because the Bible says it's fine to do so.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,793,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The problem is that these "redneck hicks" are attacking people like me for being WHO WE ARE. I don't "choose" to be gay. It is part of who I am. This is no different than attacking me for being African-American, having green eyes, or being left-handed. It's sheer lunacy to see so many of you people defending them. Would those of you defending the "Bible-thumpers" also defend Neo-Nazis, KKK members, etc.? After all, they are all spreading hatred, are they not? They're just "adhering to their belief system," are they not? What's the difference?

Go Phillies, sorry if you and some others are offended by my non-Doomer comments on the Scranton Times-Tribune web site, but I'm not hiding the way I feel any longer while biting my tongue about issues that have always irked me about the region. I'm tiring of being told I have to be tolerant of people who are unintelligent enough to still think being gay is something that is an unholy anomaly that is capable of being "cured" through intensive prayer when medical professionals (yes, college degree holders) all agree that those right-wing conversion camps do NOT work. Just a couple of weeks ago I saw this issue addressed on CNN for crying out loud. If these Bible-thumpers KNOW that they aren't going to successfully "convert" anyone or save any souls becuase you can't consciously change one's sexual orientation, then why cause so much heartache and anguish by trying? Why would you knowingly want to set yourself up for failure? I tried for YEARS to "convert" myself before finally giving up all hope, and you know what? I'm finally at peace now.

Why don't I start a new "I hate smokers" group and see how long that lasts? I really have a STRONG disdain for people who smoke in public areas, but you know what? I keep my feelings to myself and even have friends who smoke. Smokers, unlike gays, DO hurt people around them through second-hand smoke inhalation, and yet they seem to be much more widely-accepted than we are even though we hurt nobody at all. I could also start a new "I hate alcoholics" group in Scranton, where judging by the local newspapers 50% of the population is glued to corner bars on a nightly basis for lack of wanting to patronize the city's non-existent book stores, but once again alcoholics, who kill countless innocents each year by getting behind the wheel drunk are still more widely-accepted than we are.

Until we're given EQUAL CIVIL RIGHTS in this nation you're just going to have to put up with people like me and my "ilk" as we DEMAND change. I'm tiring of just sitting by and accepting the status quo of being treated like a second-class citizen, as are MANY of my peers. If you want us to go away, then give us same-sex civil unions, give us same-sex benefits in the workplace, give us protection from discrimination like every other oft-maligned minority group, give us solid footing on which to stand for us to visit one another in hospitals, file joint income tax returns, adopt children, etc., etc. Until these (and other) demands are met, you're always going to have a VERY angry LGBT community. These aren't unreasonable "demands," either, and it's ludicrous that in states like here in Virginia conservative heterosexuals were allowed to dictate in a ballot measure what sorts of equal rights we should or should not be entitled to (in this case NOT!)

You know what? You're gay, i'm overweight, guess what? Society doesn't accept overweight people either, we are viewed as lazy, dirty slobs that don't have any self control. Alcoholics and heroin addicts are more socially acceptable than overweight people are. I am not out having overweight pride parades, and demanding that the people that see overweight people as what i just mentioned above accept us. I know what i am, i really don't care who likes me and who doesn't. You know what kind of person you are, so what do you care who likes and accepts you and who doesn't? There are always going to be people who dont like and accept you, it doesn't matter what you believe in, it's been that way since the beginning of time. So enjoy your life, and get over it.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 PM

936 posts, read 2,405,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
You know what? You're gay, i'm overweight, guess what? Society doesn't accept overweight people either, we are viewed as lazy, dirty slobs that don't have any self control. Alcoholics and heroin addicts are more socially acceptable than overweight people are. I am not out having overweight pride parades, and demanding that the people that see overweight people as what i just mentioned above accept us. I know what i am, i really don't care who likes me and who doesn't. You know what kind of person you are, so what do you care who likes and accepts you and who doesn't? There are always going to be people who dont like and accept you, it doesn't matter what you believe in, it's been that way since the beginning of time. So enjoy your life, and get over it.
Rep points for you!!!

I dont want to get involved in this but I have read some of the posts. I think everyone should take a deep breath. Why do we have to label people, its sad that in this day in time that we still comment when we see a gay couple, a white and black couple or anything that we think is not how its supposed to be. But at the same time "we, the ones that dont like to be ridiculed for having different choices look", at someone who has different beliefs and say they are wrong. Why cant you see that we all need to respect others the way you want to be respected. Come on who cares how the other person feels about you when their views really dont have any bearing on your life. And they dont...really they dont have any bearing on your life!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania