Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 06:31 PM

401 posts, read 426,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
I'm pretty certain I was in West Chester and it wasn't that nice. His daughter goes to West Chester University I gotta ask them what town they are in.
West Chester University is in West Chester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 07:10 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
West Chester University is in West Chester.
I also worked at the university that actually is in Chester — Widener University — and I don't see how anyone who has been to both cities (a) would confuse the two (b) would consider West Chester faded or down at heels.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I also worked at the university that actually is in Chester — Widener University — and I don't see how anyone who has been to both cities (a) would confuse the two (b) would consider West Chester faded or down at heels.
Yea I agree…

Take a look at the number of homes on the real estate market, currently only a few and what past home sales have sold for. Would you spend $500-750k for a home that is in a run down place for that much $$? Homes come on the market and are sold in a few days typically $50-75k over asking.

Yep West Chester is a very popular place to live for many of the reasons I have indicated.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:28 PM

472 posts, read 778,608 times
I knew I wasn't going crazy they are in West Chester and it's not all sunshine n roses there n I knew I was in an area that wasn't somewhere I'd like to retire to. Evidently there is a nice place with shops n all n there is also THE DARK SIDE lol. Every place has a dark side I guess...

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
https://youtu.be/Q1NrFbnGij4

Last edited by Yac; 03-07-2023 at 10:09 PM..

Old 03-08-2023, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
I knew I wasn't going crazy they are in West Chester and it's not all sunshine n roses there n I knew I was in an area that wasn't somewhere I'd like to retire to. Evidently there is a nice place with shops n all n there is also THE DARK SIDE lol. Every place has a dark side I guess...

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
https://youtu.be/Q1NrFbnGij4
Your last sentence is pretty much true. And that video does show that West Chester Borough does have its down-at-heels side.

But I'd say that dismissing West Chester on the basis of that is like dismissing Philadelphia on the basis of the neighborhoods of North Central Philadelphia (many of which admittedly look worse than that).

But people do that all the time.

However: West Chester's downtown is actually quite attractive and lively, and WCU contributes a lot to its arts and culture scene. From what I know about West Chester's geography, I'm going to wager that the neighborhoods in that video are located east of the WCU campus, which in turn is due south of downtown. The north-side neighborhoods are better off, and the downtown is a magnet for suburbanites seeking a touch of urban vitality.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_bhoy View Post
I think you’re right - its sounds like the Poconos may no be the ideal spot for me and the wife. I have done very little travel in PA - been to Philly a couple of times and spent a day in New Hope/Lambertsville - I guess I need to get my boots on the ground.
Thanks all - I got a lot of information here in a short time.
Jake,

I think you have a lot of options when you are considering a move and are not tied to any area. You and your wife have to look at what you really want and how much $$ you have to spend. We went through this process when we decided to retire at age 58, we had it with corporate America, our daughters were out of the home, our 3500 sq. ft home on 2 acres in the county for 30 years was enough. Our only concern was to be close to our daughters who both moved to the Philadelphia/ South Jersey area.

We knew we did not want to live in a retirement community. My parents did and we saw the downside as they aged in place. So for 6 months we looked in Media, Chestnut Hill ( Philadelphia) Phoenixville, Doyestown and several places in Delaware including Hockessin, Newark near the University and Dover and settled on West Chester a decision we do not regret at all after 8 years living here. We spent long weekends in these places, spoke to locals, read a ton of blogs, etc etc. Picking up and moving is not fun especially when you are down sizing, leaving friends and neighbors, etc.

Enjoy the process and I hope you find the place you want to be. If you decide to check out West Chester let me know.

Tom

Old 03-08-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Your last sentence is pretty much true. And that video does show that West Chester Borough does have its down-at-heels side.

But I'd say that dismissing West Chester on the basis of that is like dismissing Philadelphia on the basis of the neighborhoods of North Central Philadelphia (many of which admittedly look worse than that).

But people do that all the time.

However: West Chester's downtown is actually quite attractive and lively, and WCU contributes a lot to its arts and culture scene. From what I know about West Chester's geography, I'm going to wager that the neighborhoods in that video are located east of the WCU campus, which in turn is due south of downtown. The north-side neighborhoods are better off, and the downtown is a magnet for suburbanites seeking a touch of urban vitality.
Market

In the 8 years we have lived here we have seen the “less attractive” areas change. When everyone wants to move here what do developers do? They buy up tracks of homes knock them down and build high density housing! In 2015 we purchased our home single family, 1600 sq. ft, 1.5 stories, built in 1929 for $375k today if you believe the real estate websites our home is worth $575k. As I have said homes come on the market and are gone in a few days many above listed $$.

If you do your research you will find where the WCU students live off campus and avoid those areas unless you like parties at 2 AM. The Borough happens to have a list of all student off campus housing on line. Why because the Borough inspects them regularly and collects fees for this, and do not put up with much stuff. https://west-chester.com/DocumentCen...013-PDF?bidId=

A great blog https://hellowestchesterpa.com/ has a lot of information on the daily goings on in the Borough. It’s better than the local newspaper! Here is a great article on the future of the Borough from a developer point of view! https://hellowestchesterpa.com/2023/...s-roundup-174/

The West Chester Borough is defined in the redfin black box as noted below.

https://www.redfin.com/city/20525/PA/West-Chester

Anyway I hope Jake finds his retirement home.

Tom

Last edited by TLC1957; 03-08-2023 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-08-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Market

In the 8 years we have lived here we have seen the “less attractive” areas change. When everyone wants to move here what do developers do? They buy up tracks of homes knock them down and build high density housing! In 2015 we purchased our home single family, 1600 sq. ft, 1.5 stories, built in 1929 for $375k today if you believe the real estate websites our home is worth $575k. As I have said homes come on the market and are gone in a few days many above listed $$.

If you do your research you will find where the WCU students live off campus and avoid those areas unless you like parties at 2 AM. The Borough happens to have a list of all student off campus housing on line. Why because the Borough inspects them regularly and collects fees for this, and do not put up with much stuff. https://west-chester.com/DocumentCen...013-PDF?bidId=

A great blog https://hellowestchesterpa.com/ has a lot of information on the daily goings on in the Borough. It’s better than the local newspaper! Here is a great article on the future of the Borough from a developer point of view! https://hellowestchesterpa.com/2023/...s-roundup-174/

The West Chester Borough is defined in the redfin black box as noted below.

https://www.redfin.com/city/20525/PA/West-Chester

Anyway I hope Jake finds his retirement home.

Tom
Thanks for all this, Tom! I haven't done a "Living in..." guide for West Chester yet (these appear both in print and online), and this information will help a lot.

And likewise. I think Jake has at least learned that there are plenty of places in Pennsylvania to consider, both in and beyond the Poconos.

Old 03-08-2023, 01:32 PM

Market

Sent you a private message.

Tom

Old 03-09-2023, 08:06 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
No, you spelled the Pennsylvania county right. But you got the geography and character of the county wrong.

Allegheny County, Pa., is in the southwest part of the state and the anchor of its other principal metropolitan area, that of Pittsburgh — which is the county's seat and largest city. It's nowhere near the Poconos.

The closest sizable cities to the Poconos are Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, the seats of neighboring Lackawanna and Luzerne counties respectively.
yes, I know, I said Allegheny County, might be good to visit for them b/c it's a beautiful ride and beautiful country as well. I'd only been out that way I think 3 times in my life, but it was indeed beautiful....

We used to go to Lackawanna county to fish, I worked with people who live there....which is also very beautiful....

I suggested he take weekend trips to all counties of PA, not just the Poconos, as while it's beautiful, it's a lot of traffic now...or go more North to Potter or Lackawanna County...Tioga, Bradford or West to Clearfield County, I don't know, me I think all the counties in PA are beautiful....in the less populated areas, you'll get more bang for your buck....but when moving to another state, I believe it's wise to take weekend trips until you find that spot that fits your needs....Me, I love the lessor populated areas.....
When we lived in the Poconos, early on we had to drive from Brodheadsville to Stroudsburg to shop for groceries, but then they build an IGA....loved it then, but as years went by the traffic was horrendous down Rt. 209. There is always a tradeoff depends on the couples needs and wants....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-09-2023 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania