Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 07:23 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree, the only area that has a lot of in town stores, are East Stroudsburg and Stroudsburg....

If it were up to me, I'd go further north, like Potter, or Allegheny County....
YM Allegany County in New York State.

The Pennsylvania county of that name (and spelled that way) is home to Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2023, 07:32 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
YM Allegany County in New York State.

The Pennsylvania county of that name (and spelled that way) is home to Pittsburgh.
Yes, your right but I meant Allegheny County in PA, guess I spelled it wrong? I'll have to go look....
sorry....I've been out that way twice in my lifetime and loved it, and loved the drive....

I guess PA is my most favorite state....along with Colorado....but the northern and western county's of PA are gorgeous.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:43 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, your right but I meant Allegheny County in PA, guess I spelled it wrong? I'll have to go look....
sorry....I've been out that way twice in my lifetime and loved it, and loved the drive....

I guess PA is my most favorite state....along with Colorado....but the northern and western county's of PA are gorgeous.
No, you spelled the Pennsylvania county right. But you got the geography and character of the county wrong.

Allegheny County, Pa., is in the southwest part of the state and the anchor of its other principal metropolitan area, that of Pittsburgh — which is the county's seat and largest city. It's nowhere near the Poconos.

The closest sizable cities to the Poconos are Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, the seats of neighboring Lackawanna and Luzerne counties respectively.

Old 03-06-2023, 11:39 AM

401 posts, read 426,083 times
Another reason to look at Chester County ….

https://www.dailylocal.com/2023/03/0...est-hospitals/

WEST CHESTER — Chester County Hospital (CCH) has been recognized by Newsweek and Statista, Inc. as one of the World’s Best Hospitals in 2023. The 309-bed hospital is ranked as the 76thbest hospital in the United States out of 414 institutions. Of the 27 Pennsylvania hospitals making the Best Hospitals list, CCH is ranked fifth best. This is the fourth consecutive year the hospital has received this designation, making CCH the highest-ranked community-based hospital in Pennsylvania.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Jake,

Lived in rural NJ, Warren County for 30 years with few restaurants and entertainment and retired in 2015 and moved to West Chester Borough, in Chester County outside of Philadelphia, we love it. People are very friendly, the town has a community spirit, downtown is alive with always something going on, tons of places to explore, live theater, 75 plus restaurants and many shops. West Chester is a university town of about 10k students going to the state school.

If you love gardens Longwood Gardens is 20 min drive, amazing place a must see. We are members and visit many times during the year. https://longwoodgardens.org

With a tradition of horticulture going back 300 years, Philadelphia is America’s Garden Capital.
Visit more than 30 public gardens, arboreta, and historic landscapes, all located within 30 miles of the city.

I can keep going but the only downside is you will need a budget of at least $500- 600k for a home. If you buy a home at least 20 years old property taxes are low. We paid $13k a year in NJ with a well, septic and very little town services. In Pa we pay $3500 for school, city and county taxes. Pa does not tax our pension.

When we were looking to move out of NJ,we looked at Media, Chestnut Hill, Phoenixville, Doyestown and several places in Delaware including Hockessin, Newark near the University and Dover and settled on West Chester a decision we do not regret at all.

If you need more information let us know.

Tom
I used to work in North Wales, and my friends and I used to go to Phoenixville for dinner.
Did you ever visit the Castle in Doylestown, if not, you have to go see it....the tour is amazing...FontHill Castle, and Mercer Musium, both built by Henry Mercer. Very interesting....and amazing.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_bhoy View Post
Looking to re-locate and retire - spouse and I both 62+- looking for a bit more space than the south shore of Nassau County NY where we now live and are drowning in property taxes.
The info on the forums seems a little out of date - I had been looking at Stroudsburg and saw they had high property taxes in 2017 - how do they compare to NY and does PA have anything similar to the NY STAR program which reduces seniors’ property/school taxes.
I already know PA has more favourable taxation of private pensions and IRA distributions than NY.
One thing which would be very important to us is the walkability of any town as driving and car ownership is becoming more of a chore as we get older.
Not keen on 55+ communities as the thought of being in permanent proximity to “someone who does their own research” - doesn’t matter which side - horrifies me.
Jake, I think Pennsylvania is such a gorgeous state, and there are so many wonderful places to live, and eat...lots of art...history, etc...maybe you should venture round the state first before deciding to move...like take weekend trips....

Another really quaint place to retire is Wellsboro...small town, great friendly people....or you might want to look at Wilkes Barre, Hawley, Worlds End State Park, my gosh, so many wonderful places....

Old 03-06-2023, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 8,607 times
I think you’re right - its sounds like the Poconos may no be the ideal spot for me and the wife. I have done very little travel in PA - been to Philly a couple of times and spent a day in New Hope/Lambertsville - I guess I need to get my boots on the ground.
Thanks all - I got a lot of information here in a short time.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:14 AM

472 posts, read 778,472 times
I'm gonna be honest if you cannot or do not like to drive avoid the Poconos all together. Roadways are dangerous to walk, Ubers and Lyfts not the most reliable. If l had no car or couldn't drive far was retired and I HAD TO live in the Poconos I'd honestly just move to Mount Pocono behind the Ollie's off 940. Ollie's, Harbor Freight, Dollar Tree, Tobacco, Subway, Spanish Food, GameStop, Pizza, Weis Foods, Chinese, Wawa, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Wells Fargo, Loews, Walmart, Perkins, Doctors, Rite Aid, Diner, Wendy's, Dollar General, Burger King, Shop Rite all 5 minutes away....Land is nice but do you really want to be retired tending to land? Communities have dues and suck but if your a social couple they do offer things to do, clubs stuff like that that do cater to seniors. They are usually $1500-$2000 a year extra but if you participate in it could be beneficial. I retired in 2016 from NJ to Tobyhanna $$$ wise good move, weather wise HELL NO. It is brutally boring in the winter and it last 13 months...It is beautiful and picturesque but getting harder to deal with. I fell in love with this place but the best way to describe it is it fell out of love with me. It gets a little harder every year. I really want to get a camper van n see the country. Travel 4 months a year.. Good Luck in your decision.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:12 AM

[quote=cremebrulee;64969672]I used to work in North Wales, and my friends and I used to go to Phoenixville for dinner.
Did you ever visit the Castle in Doylestown, if not, you have to go see it....the tour is amazing...FontHill Castle, and Mercer Musium, both built by Henry Mercer. Very interesting....and amazing.[/

YES!! we have been several times, once during Christmas when the had the house all decorated it was over the top! Definitely worth a trip, also a lot of nice restaurants in Doylestown.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
I'm gonna be honest if you cannot or do not like to drive avoid the Poconos all together. Roadways are dangerous to walk, Ubers and Lyfts not the most reliable. If l had no car or couldn't drive far was retired and I HAD TO live in the Poconos I'd honestly just move to Mount Pocono behind the Ollie's off 940. Ollie's, Harbor Freight, Dollar Tree, Tobacco, Subway, Spanish Food, GameStop, Pizza, Weis Foods, Chinese, Wawa, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Wells Fargo, Loews, Walmart, Perkins, Doctors, Rite Aid, Diner, Wendy's, Dollar General, Burger King, Shop Rite all 5 minutes away....Land is nice but do you really want to be retired tending to land? Communities have dues and suck but if your a social couple they do offer things to do, clubs stuff like that that do cater to seniors. They are usually $1500-$2000 a year extra but if you participate in it could be beneficial. I retired in 2016 from NJ to Tobyhanna $$$ wise good move, weather wise HELL NO. It is brutally boring in the winter and it last 13 months...It is beautiful and picturesque but getting harder to deal with. I fell in love with this place but the best way to describe it is it fell out of love with me. It gets a little harder every year. I really want to get a camper van n see the country. Travel 4 months a year.. Good Luck in your decision.
We never get bored in West Chester always something going on. The university has a world class music program and offers free concerts several times a week when in session. We also have live concerts and plays at the theater in town. We walk to our favorite places in town but if we also have access to great walking trails 5 minutes from home. Need to go shopping we have King of Prussia mall, top 5 largest mall in the USA 20 minutes away. Do not want to pay tax on that new Mac computer, no tax Delaware is 20 minutes away!

Do we have traffic oh yea but when you are retired you can pick when to go out. Daily 9am till 3 pm no problem at all.

Nice overall of West Chester here both good & bad!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfip35...ature=youtu.be

Wherever you end up spent a long weekend to really see how the place is. Definitely worth the time and $$ before you move and make a mistake.

Enjoy the process it’s fun!

Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania